Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

How many are old enough to have been spit on?

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Voleur
Do they not remember the uproar over the Crowell incident last season?

Thing is...some people in here said Crowell should have been cut, kicked out of the league and some even went further with their criticisms. However, during the 1-15 season there was a long thread on Crowell's breakout season where many were praising him. There was also a lengthy thread about Crowell's tender and contract extension and worries if and when he would sign with us or maybe somebody else. Again, I am willing to bet some of his loudest critics last offseason were praising him and hoping he would stay a Cleveland Brown.

Point is...this freakout about players protesting will all be wasted energy and add up to nothing once we kick off against the Steelers. Especially if we win but, also once any of the 12 protesting players has a great game or season. If and when that happens I'm pretty sure the "get out of jail free" card will be handed out by some of today's critics.

You talk as if some have condemned these young men for life. Nay, I just think it was an ill-advised action.

[Linked Image]

V
1st String
1st String
V
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Voleur
Do they not remember the uproar over the Crowell incident last season?

Thing is...some people in here said Crowell should have been cut, kicked out of the league and some even went further with their criticisms. However, during the 1-15 season there was a long thread on Crowell's breakout season where many were praising him. There was also a lengthy thread about Crowell's tender and contract extension and worries if and when he would sign with us or maybe somebody else. Again, I am willing to bet some of his loudest critics last offseason were praising him and hoping he would stay a Cleveland Brown.

Point is...this freakout about players protesting will all be wasted energy and add up to nothing once we kick off against the Steelers. Especially if we win but, also once any of the 12 protesting players has a great game or season. If and when that happens I'm pretty sure the "get out of jail free" card will be handed out by some of today's critics.

I read some of those comments when they were made last season. I also do not doubt that many of the protesting players will be given a "get out of jail free" card as put it, if they have a good season. That only makes things worse in the end. The players disrespected the fans and the team itself when they chose the time and place to protest as the stadium and during the national anthem.

I noticed that most of the players who participated are considered building blocks for an up and coming team. They feel safe in their protest as they either signed extensions or where high draft picks recently added to the team. In a league full of majority minority players, making a relatively nice salary, voluntarily might I add to play a game for a living, the players feel emboldened to act stupidly and may I say condescendingly towards the teams fans.

I do not remember seeing Crowell participating in the protest. Perhaps I am wrong in this. However, Crowell should have learned a lesson as should have all players on the Browns team, that the fan base of the team does not appreciate this sort of activity from the players. It was either a calculated attack on the values of the fans of the team or it was a misguided attempt to bring unity to the team. I would like to think that it was the later and it failed miserably rather than to think that the players have contempt for the fans and believe themselves morally and dare I say spiritually more evolved than the fans who find this display offensive at worse and inappropriate at the least.

The big dumb jock stereotype was on it's deathbed. This sort of stunt has brought it back from the brink. What stupid, ignorant, condescending, arrogant, and self righteous bigots do we have playing for the Browns?

Last edited by Voleur; 08/22/17 05:26 PM.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
No idea, most of the 30 or 40 seem to be from post 911 based on the article. Some say gulf war, others just say Veteran. IMHO, it doesn't matter, especially if they served in a war zone.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: clwb419
No idea, most of the 30 or 40 seem to be from post 911 based on the article. Some say gulf war, others just say Veteran. IMHO, it doesn't matter, especially if they served in a war zone.

Veterans are an extension of our society, so we are allowed to have varied opinion's as is the next guy.

[Linked Image]

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Absolutely true

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
The big dumb jock stereotype was on it's deathbed. This sort of stunt has brought it back from the brink. What stupid, ignorant, condescending, arrogant, and self righteous bigots do we have playing for the Browns?

I don't agree w/them kneeling, but that is over the top.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
For years I've had to listen to friends who are steeler fans tell me what an embarrassment the browns are...today I had to agree with them.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
I guess some see what others choice to not look at, because the truth is too painful.
Well said and quite ironic.

In general I don't understand how quickly you and other have launched into canned positions, everything is polarized alt-left etc. no dialogue or an actual attempt or intent to understand why.

What would compel people who by their own comments support everything you claim they don't?

What would compel them to draw the nations focus.

I bet their answer would be very similar to the words you chose above: 'some see what others choice to not look at, because the truth is too painful'

If I have a critique for them is that their message and intent should be crystalized so there is no confusion.

I know they are calling attention to social injustice, particularly in the African-American community and they should convey that more clearly.

And once they have peoples attention....Now what? They must use the attention to effect positive change.

Last edited by edromeo; 08/22/17 07:37 PM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by FL:

Quote:
You talk as if some have condemned these young men for life. Nay, I just think it was an ill-advised action.

The reason there's so many deeply disappointed Browns fans is that this incident arose due to the team culture.

There is a big problem with the Browns team culture.

Top professionals leave their feelings at the door.

There's a job to do.

Social statements do not belong on the field.

There's plenty a player can do on their own time to advance their beliefs. But that's hard work and cuts into their personal fun time.

This was highly unprofessional and ultimately the Browns management is to blame.

My opinion of Hue Jackson as an effective NFL coach went from a 6 out of 10, to a 2 out of 10 last night.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E

Veterans are an extension of our society, so we are allowed to have varied opinion's as is the next guy.

Curious as to why you asked if they are old enough to have been spit on?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: edromeo

Curious as to why you asked if they are old enough to have been spit on?

That would give them another prospective and dig up some old bones.

What would have been so hard for the players to honor their cause with a moment of prayer at the 50 at say half time? That wouldn't have affended anyone in the process. That is the epitome of a peaceful protest.

You can't honor something by dishonoring the very object that gives you the rights to protest. That is a dog chasing it's own tail.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
A country where all men are created equal..

This country has NEVER truly respected the term 'All Me Are Created Equal." Issue #1

Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

We have corrected the stain of slavery in this country, which was started by the British. We have corrected the stain of women's rights. We have corrected the stain of segregation, which was started by the democrats. We have corrected most of the wrongs in this country to achieve what the original founders intended.

All of those things are in progress... Ask any black man in the state of Mississippi how they feel when walking in a white neighborhood. Ask a woman if she feels as an equal to each and every man in the workforce 100% of the time. The original founders had an easy job of writing down something on a piece of paper. It always sounds good, but the reality of the situation is our country was built on genocide; built by the blood and tears of those who look different than any man on a dollar bill.

There is a time and a place for everything.

On the job and on the clock is not a time afforded to the average Joe for a time to protest and then try to usurp God as if God has a fight in this game of fools.

There is no proper or appropriate place to protest. Protests aren't meant to be convenient for everyone.

Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg

This should not have happened. It’s a breakdown of team leadership, communication, discipline and focus.

Knowledgeable posters know either Hue Jackson and/or Jimmy Haslam are ultimately to blame.

Have you ever held a management position? You can't control anyone. As a human being, we have the free right to do ANYTHING, whether it be right or wrong.

I must say, I am actually super proud of DeValve. It's tough enough to be in an interracial marriage, but to hear him say "i myself will be raising children that won't look like me, and I want to do my part as well to do everything I can to raise them in a better environment than what we have right now."... It's easy to marry someone and somewhat ignore the racial differences, but to go to bat for his kids, and wife too.. Says a lot in my book. White men who take up for Blacks get more hate than Blacks themselves. I got an email of a notification on my Devalve 2017 catch video I made, and it says "Devalve can be a cop hater if he wants to. Pay the price." Like wtf does that mean? Our country has a long way to go. Sad I have to say that even in 2017.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
quote above by FL:

Quote:

The reason there's so many deeply disappointed Browns fans is that this incident arose due to the team culture.

There is a big problem with the Browns team culture.

Top professionals leave their feelings at the door.

There's a job to do.

Social statements do not belong on the field.

There's plenty a player can do on their own time to advance their beliefs. But that's hard work and cuts into their personal fun time.

This was highly unprofessional and ultimately the Browns management is to blame.

My opinion of Hue Jackson as an effective NFL coach went from a 6 out of 10, to a 2 out of 10 last night.

I don't know...I think that this an issue for those above his pay grade, but perhaps he has been given full liberty on the issue IDK.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am in an interracial marriage and I don't approve of disrespecting your country.

I believe in trying to change things by positive acts rather than disrespectful acts.

I believe in trying to bridge the divide rather than alienating the other side.

I believe that multimillionaires calling the United States "oppressive" is a crock of crap!

Opportunities are there for all those who seek them and are willing to work for them. Like I said earlier, we had a black president win two elections. I voted for him both times. An "oppressive" country has a black president? Please...........

I wonder about the percentage of blacks who didn't vote for Obama in the two elections as opposed to the percentage of whites who didn't vote for the white candidate? Yet, all we hear is how whites are racists. LOL

I wonder who would be safer........a black man walking through a white community or a white man walking through a black community?

I have fought for the rights and tried to help minorities most of my life, but the pendulum has swung in the other direction.

And most whites are afraid to speak up lest they be branded as "racist" by racists.

Oh, and here is news for you. According to a recent poll, more whites are more tolerant of groups on the alt-right than they were before all the BS crap that was reported about Charlottlesville.

Your losing many of us who were actually on your side by your constant complaining, whining, violence, and finger pointing.

Good luck to you.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am in an interracial marriage and I don't approve of disrespecting your country. Just curious, is she black? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. And I don't see what they are doing as disrespect. If they were spitting, burning, or stomping on the flag in a demeaning manner, then i'd understand. Kneeling though, not so much.

I believe in trying to change things by positive acts rather than disrespectful acts. Again, disrespectful from your point of view. 50 years ago, it was disrespectful for a black man to drink from a 'white' water fountain.
So much he could lose his life for it.

I believe in trying to bridge the divide rather than alienating the other side. Not sure how they are alienating anyone. To me its much more ignorance of not seeing that an actual life should mean more than an object.

I believe that multimillionaires calling the United States "oppressive" is a crock of crap! So those who have money can't make a plea for social justice?

Opportunities are there for all those who seek them and are willing to work for them. Like I said earlier, we had a black president win two elections. I voted for him both times. An "oppressive" country has a black president? Please........... Outside of the 'obamacare' talk, I never saw our country as united during his tenure as POTUS.

I wonder about the percentage of blacks who didn't vote for Obama in the two elections as opposed to the percentage of whites who didn't vote for the white candidate? Yet, all we hear is how whites are racists. LOL

I wonder who would be safer........a black man walking through a white community or a white man walking through a black community? I agree with you 100% here. Ignorance has no color. We all can do better.

I have fought for the rights and tried to help minorities most of my life, but the pendulum has swung in the other direction. Not sure what you mean here.

And most whites are afraid to speak up lest they be branded as "racist" by racists. Making stereotypical comments usually leads to being 'branded as racist'

Oh, and here is news for you. According to a recent poll, more whites are more tolerant of groups on the alt-right than they were before all the BS crap that was reported about Charlottlesville.

Your losing many of us who were actually on your side by your constant complaining, whining, violence, and finger pointing. If I'm losing people on my side due to wanting social equality and justice, they weren't on my side to begin with.

Good luck to you. Good luck to what?

V
Legend
Legend
V

Quote:
I am in an interracial marriage and I don't approve of disrespecting your country. Just curious, is she black? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. And I don't see what they are doing as disrespect. If they were spitting, burning, or stomping on the flag in a demeaning manner, then i'd understand. Kneeling though, not so much.

No, she isn't black. She is part of an even smaller minority. She is a Mexican.

I mentioned the disrespect thing because many people have been quoted as saying it is disrespectful. That is nothing new. In fact, ratings went down in the NFL last year, and most pointed to the "kneeling" during the anthem as to why they tuned out. We've posted articles about it on this very board.

Quote:
I believe in trying to change things by positive acts rather than disrespectful acts. Again, disrespectful from your point of view. 50 years ago, it was disrespectful for a black man to drink from a 'white' water fountain.
So much he could lose his life for it.

I think it is pretty lame given my background to compare kneeling during the anthem to not being allowed to drink from a water fountain. I have repeatedly been a champion of equal rights for all. I have started a foundation to help minorities. I have been asked to be a public speaker at minority events. I won Teacher of the Year in E. Cleveland at an Alternative School [yeah, they got kicked out of E. Cleveland public schools,] I rail against racists and bigots on here all the time. But, it's not one-sided. There are racists and bigots in all groups. I say we judge an individual based on their own merits.

Quote:

I believe in trying to bridge the divide rather than alienating the other side. Not sure how they are alienating anyone. To me its much more ignorance of not seeing that an actual life should mean more than an object.

Again, it's been well documented that people get upset when others don't respect the anthem. This country is not perfect, but no country is perfect. We have a lot of rights in this country..........hell, just having the right to kneel during an anthem is the polar opposite of the word "oppressive." This country is not "oppressive."

Quote:

I believe that multimillionaires calling the United States "oppressive" is a crock of crap! So those who have money can't make a plea for social justice?

Of course they can. However, I would like to see them actually give some of that money and their time to help people of their community rather than just taking a knee.

Quote:

Opportunities are there for all those who seek them and are willing to work for them. Like I said earlier, we had a black president win two elections. I voted for him both times. An "oppressive" country has a black president? Please........... Outside of the 'obamacare' talk, I never saw our country as united during his tenure as POTUS.

Not sure of your point? I voted for him twice. Where did I say we weren't united? I think I was addressing that if this country was so "oppressive" against blacks, then a black man would have NEVER been elected.

Quote:

I wonder who would be safer........a black man walking through a white community or a white man walking through a black community? I agree with you 100% here. Ignorance has no color. We all can do better.

Yes, we can..............and that includes myself.

Quote:

I have fought for the rights and tried to help minorities most of my life, but the pendulum has swung in the other direction. Not sure what you mean here.

I mean that I always fought for the rights of minorities because I didn't like how the majority picked on them. I always thought we should receive equal treatment and opportunities regardless of race, religious beliefs, or gender.

I think that it used to be that white society would find reasons to bash blacks. Terms were used to describe them. "Lazy." "Dumb." "Shiftless." I thought it was all BS. Now, I think that there is an emphasis on blaming whites for everything and giving blacks a pass.

I think both extremes are wrong. I believe in judging an individual based on his/her own merits. I do not like all-encompassing generalizations no matter which side they lean to.

Quote:

And most whites are afraid to speak up lest they be branded as "racist" by racists. Making stereotypical comments usually leads to being 'branded as racist'

Nah, I think it's a double standard nowadays. If a black person says something racist, it receives justification. If a white person says it.........they are a "racist." Sorry man, but it's shifted. Neither way is right. I am only hoping for a common ground, but am doubting that outcome more and more each passing week.

Quote:

Your losing many of us who were actually on your side by your constant complaining, whining, violence, and finger pointing. If I'm losing people on my side due to wanting social equality and justice, they weren't on my side to begin with.

Not sure what you mean here. But, I look at who kills the most cops? Who kills the most blacks? Who isn't working and always has their hands out? And I wonder where the social inequality really lies?

Quote:

Good luck to you. Good luck to what?
[/quote]

Starting a race war. What else? Now, before you---or anyone else goes balistic------I chastised 40 yesterday for talking such nonsense.

Y'all we're dangerously close to it happening. Do you know how freaking dumb and debilitating that would be to almost all of us?

Good God.............it's time to come together as a nation! Furthering the divide will hurt us all. It will have devastating effects on the innocent.

We need to bridge the divide!

Legend
Legend

I mentioned the disrespect thing because many people have been quoted as saying it is disrespectful. That is nothing new. In fact, ratings went down in the NFL last year, and most pointed to the "kneeling" during the anthem as to why they tuned out. We've posted articles about it on this very board.

Just because the majority disagree doesn't mean they are right. Again, people use to do peaceful sit-ins during segregation times, yet the majority thought it was disrespectful and inappropriate; to the point where food was thrown in their face, punches were thrown, and lots of verbally abusive language was used.

I think it is pretty lame given my background to compare kneeling during the anthem to not being allowed to drink from a water fountain.

What does your background have to do with me using this as an example?

Again, it's been well documented that people get upset when others don't respect the anthem. This country is not perfect, but no country is perfect. We have a lot of rights in this country..........hell, just having the right to kneel during an anthem is the polar opposite of the word "oppressive." This country is not "oppressive."

Again, majority doesn't mean much to me based on the history of our country. Social injustice is wrong, and if someone is upset because i'm taking a respectful knee in a plea for help, so be it.

Of course they can. However, I would like to see them actually give some of that money and their time to help people of their community rather than just taking a knee.

I agree, wholeheartedly. I'm not aware of every single one of those players efforts in the community, but most of those guys give their time to the community outside of what the Browns make them do. Sooooo....

Opportunities are there for all those who seek them and are willing to work for them. Like I said earlier, we had a black president win two elections. I voted for him both times. An "oppressive" country has a black president? Please...........

This comment here irks me. So we have one black president, and all of a sudden we should be happy, and settle for the nonsense that still goes on in this country? Cmon man. I know you are better than that.

Not sure of your point? I voted for him twice. Where did I say we weren't united? I think I was addressing that if this country was so "oppressive" against blacks, then a black man would have NEVER been elected.

Did you vote for him because he was black, or because he won your vote?

Now, I think that there is an emphasis on blaming whites for everything and giving blacks a pass.

No one is blaming whites for everything. This is about social injustice. Period.

Nah, I think it's a double standard nowadays. If a black person says something racist, it receives justification. If a white person says it.........they are a "racist." Sorry man, but it's shifted. Neither way is right. I am only hoping for a common ground, but am doubting that outcome more and more each passing week.

There are definitely instances in which a double standard takes place. I can admit to that no problem. However, our history of suffering in this country is the reason for it.

Not sure what you mean here. But, I look at who kills the most cops? Who kills the most blacks? Who isn't working and always has their hands out? And I wonder where the social inequality really lies?

Do you also look at who gets profiled the most? Do you also look at who kills the most whites? As far as those who aren't working and always having their hands out. See this Link and share your thoughts.

Starting a race war. What else?

There is no violence with what these guys are doing. How is this starting a race war? Again, I know you are better than this type of thinking. You are much smarter.

V
Legend
Legend
V
We see the same things through different eyes. Thanks for the conversation.

Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Ohio Supreme Court justice blasts Browns over anthem protest

http://fox8.com/2017/08/23/ohio-supreme-court-justice-blasts-browns-over-anthem-protest/

COLUMBUS, Ohio — An Ohio Supreme Court justice is criticizing some Cleveland Browns players who prayed in silent protest during the national anthem before a game.

Justice Bill O’Neill writes on Facebook he won’t attend any games at which “draft dodging millionaire athletes disrespect the veterans who earned them the right to be on that field.” He said Tuesday “shame on you all.”

Bill O'Neill
on Tuesday

Congratulations Cleveland Browns on your win. Unfortunately my season ended last night. I will NEVER attend a sporting event where the draft dodging millionaire athletes disrespect the veterans who earned them the right to be on that field. Shame on you all. William O'Neill, LTC, US Army, Retired. Vietnam veteran; son of a World II veteran; proud father of an Iraq veteran.

O’Neill notes he’s a Vietnam veteran whose family has a history of military service. He’s also the lone Democrat holding a statewide office in Ohio.

More than a dozen Browns players kneeled and formed a circle on the sideline during the anthem Monday. Tight end Seth DeValve says he wanted “to pray for our country.”

Browns linebacker Christian Kirksey talked to FOX 8 News on Tuesday, and said, “Respect to all the veterans, respect to the military — we are not protesting against them. We have our reasons for doing what we did, and last night felt like the right time to do it, and that’s why we did it.”

The protest was the largest in a social-consciousness movement started last season by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick currently a free agent.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I am in an interracial marriage and I don't approve of disrespecting your country.

I believe in trying to change things by positive acts rather than disrespectful acts.

I believe in trying to bridge the divide rather than alienating the other side.

I believe that multimillionaires calling the United States "oppressive" is a crock of crap!

I wonder who would be safer........a black man walking through a white community or a white man walking through a black community?

I have fought for the rights and tried to help minorities most of my life, but the pendulum has swung in the other direction.

And most whites are afraid to speak up lest they be branded as "racist" by racists.

Your losing many of us who were actually on your side by your constant complaining, whining, violence, and finger pointing.

Good luck to you.

Do you have kids from this marriage?

This whole respect the anthem, the flag and the army is very fascist in my eyes.

IMHO, there shouldn't be holy cows, and if you want them you have to respect the other's guys cows also

Just saying

Last edited by rastanplan; 08/24/17 07:18 AM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well the only problem with that is there hasn't been a draft since the early 70's and he probably voted for a real draft dodger to be president.

Other than that I see his point.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

According to what several black folks told me after I went walking through a bad section of downtown Detriot at night by myself it would be the black man who was safer. But I didn't feel unsafe at all.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

According to what several black folks told me after I went walking through a bad section of downtown Detriot at night by myself it would be the black man who was safer. But I didn't feel unsafe at all.
Interesting.
I think safety is proportional to the threat the respective community perceives.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
These players have all kinds of avenues they could pursue that actuallly would MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

You don't see none of these trashcans at inner city schools talking to kids trying to change their futures. You don't see any of them at your local soup kitchens helping poor people. You don't see them being part of non-profit groups advocating change on the local, state, and federal government levels.

Instead they decide to be un-american and insult the people who died for this country.

This is going to cost the Browns a lot of money. People are pissed...Facebook is literally eight people mad for every one comment defending them. Haslam is going to have to get out in front of this and soon.

When you have an Ohio Supreme Court Judge speaking out against you, its pretty bad...this is about as bad as the ignorant picture Crowell posted last year

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/07/...slit-black-man/

They should have cut Crowell the minute that became news, gone, see ya, don't give a damn how good you are, gone. thats simply not tolerated here.

The Browns are making some pretty big mistakes...Haslam is going to have to get out in front of this, and soon....

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

Interesting.
I think safety is proportional to the threat the respective community perceives.

I don't know...

I think that the number of murders, rapes, robberies, thefts, muggings, etc that are documented by police reports is fairly concrete and trumps "perception."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
...How is this guy a Supreme Court Justice?

I guess not being born until 10 years after the last one is instituted is one way to "dodge the draft".

It's also supposed to be his job to uphold the Constitution which gives the players the right to do what they did.

Is it how I would have protested? No, but I liked it a lot better than most protests anymore. Not a bunch of anger and hate or one guy saying look at me.

The flag is a symbol, and as happens with symbols they mean different things to different people and that meaning can change. At the moment, some people equate the flag with Trump and issues that are occurring in our country. Saluting that strife doesn't make much sense. I don't feel that way, but if I tied those things together, I wouldn't be standing either.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
...How is this guy a Supreme Court Justice?

I guess not being born until 10 years after the last one is instituted is one way to "dodge the draft".

It's also supposed to be his job to uphold the Constitution which gives the players the right to do what they did.

Is it how I would have protested? No, but I liked it a lot better than most protests anymore. Not a bunch of anger and hate or one guy saying look at me.

The flag is a symbol, and as happens with symbols they mean different things to different people and that meaning can change. At the moment, some people equate the flag with Trump and issues that are occurring in our country. Saluting that strife doesn't make much sense. I don't feel that way, but if I tied those things together, I wouldn't be standing either.

Good grief.
That has got to be the most idiotic EXCUSE I have heard to date.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Well the only problem with that is there hasn't been a draft since the early 70's and he probably voted for a real draft dodger to be president.

Other than that I see his point.

Clinton?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
He may have voted for him too for all I know.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
O’Neill notes he’s a Vietnam veteran whose family has a history of military service. He’s also the lone Democrat holding a statewide office in Ohio.

My guess is he voted for Hillary.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
These players have all kinds of avenues they could pursue that actuallly would MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

You don't see none of these trashcans at inner city schools talking to kids trying to change their futures. You don't see any of them at your local soup kitchens helping poor people. You don't see them being part of non-profit groups advocating change on the local, state, and federal government levels.

Duke Johnson Jr. started his own charitable foundation before he had played his first NFL game. Supports youth sports.

Jabril Peppers won the Ronnie Lott IMPACT award, given to student athletes demonstrating a commitment on the field, in the classroom and to the community.

Calvin Pryor was a mainstay with NY charities in his years there, helping both women’s causes and charities to provide food to the underprivileged.

Jamar Taylor runs football camps for kids in the offseason. Has been working with the Toys for Tots campaign in Cleveland

Seth DeValve took the opportunity of his number being retired at his high school to turn it into a fundraiser for a long-time school security guard who had recently passed. Raised thousands for the man’s family.

Kenny Britt donated thousands to people and businesses affected by the Ferguson riots. And yes, he protested against that too.

Christian Kirksey held the third annual Strikes for Kids charity bowling event literally THE DAY AFTER the prayer ker-fuffle.

Isaiah Crowell admitted he made a mistake in the Instagram mess, donated his game check to Fallen Officers fund, attended the funeral of one of the policemen that were shot and spent a day meeting with various officers, apologizing for what he’d done, explaining himself and trying to learn more from the police perspective.

But yeah...none of these guys do anything worthwhile.

You don't like how they protested. Fine...that's your prerogative and you're free to your opinion. But when you start spewing things that just ain't true to make these men seem like good-for-nothings - that ain't right.

I didn't comment on your last post because I felt that their chosen mode of protest had burned you deeply because of personal losses and I can respect that. Now you're just talking nonsense and that, plus your ridiculous posting history, makes me hope that maybe you are done with this team so we can be free of your buffoonery.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Meanwhile, our team was 1 and 15 last year, picked to finish in the cellar once again, and our guys are making headlines not for their play on the field, but for their protest.

Awesome.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Protest will be a footnote in another few days.

AND the Browns will start making headlines with an opening day victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers! (I just got a feeling...the opening day curse is ready to die)

Legend
Legend
j/c:

Meanwhile, our team was 1 and 15 last year, picked to finish in the cellar once again, and our guys are making headlines not for their play on the field, but for their protest.

Awesome.

Why does it matter? What's the minimum of games won before you can act on a cause, regardless of the way you protest?

I get your point, but if they had won 3, 5, 7 or 9 games last year, would it change anything on this board? I think the same people ticked off would still be ticked off.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know about beating Pittsburgh. I don't know about their focus on coming together as a team.

Earlier in the week, Hue said something like he hoped that his players wouldn't take a knee during the anthem. He got blasted by it by S. Sharpe.

Of course, our players respond not by defending and honoring Hue's request, but staging the single largest [numbers wise] protest that we've seen yet.

LOL.........it's tragically comical how screwy this team is every year.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Why does it matter?

I think I just addressed it in a response to Canada. Let me know if you need more. I will try to expound a bit.

If your intent is simply to mock my opinion, then by all means, fire away.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 08/24/17 01:15 PM.
Legend
Legend
k
Quote:
Why does it matter?

I think I just addressed it in a response to Canada. Let me know if you need more. I will try to expound a bit.

If your intent is simply to mock my opinion, then by all means, fire away.

Not mocking at all, just asking. I saw a few people blasting the Browns on Facebook the same way, "win 8 games and then you can talk" or "learn to play in the 4th quarter and then protest away". Michael Bennet sat for the Seahawks recently, was he given a pass because Seattle is a good team?

Either the protest is offensive for how they did it or not, I don't think what your record is softens or strengthens it.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay.

I wasn't clear. I did not mean that you have to win a certain amount of games to be able to protest. LOL I'm crazy, but not stupid.

Having played and coached, I know it is very difficult to turn a losing team around. You gotta change the culture. We've all heard that before. You need a complete "buy-in" of everyone. You need to do a lot of self-sacrificing. You have to put the team ahead of yourself. You must be completely focused on winning and making yourself and the team better. You really must unite as a team by having a single purpose.

Hue addressed the situation before the protest. He got beat up in the media for it.

How did our team respond? By coming together and having a united front that stood right there w/Hue or by planning and partaking in a pretty large protest where we had a dozen or so participating and others standing?

I am not saying you have to agree w/my line of thinking, but I don't think what they did is good for the "team."

And one thing we have learned over the years from many great coaches is that if you don't put the team first, then you really don't belong here.

Legend
Legend
Well said. Gotcha.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Giants 6 Browns players kneel during National Anthem

Link Copied to Clipboard