Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Mourgrym #1332317 10/13/17 11:12 AM
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
I think Hue has handled Kizer the way Iwould have. He has the tools, he has the intelligence, you need to see what how he can do under pressure in order to gauge is growth. I also agree that it was time to go with Hogan.

You cant allow a rookie to continue to turn the ball over when u are losing games u should have been winning. Hogan gives the team a chance to win and right now Kizer does not. simple as that.

So u would have handled it the wrong way too ... gotcha ... *LOL* ...

He needs to know what hes doing before we can gauge anything much less how hes going to do under pressure ...

MECHANICALLY and MENTALLY (u said it yourself in the other thread just a minute ago .. he proccess info like and old mainframe compared to the new servers ... btw ... that speedy Gonzales comment had me *LMAO* ...

Anyhow .. mechanically and mentally he was and still isn’t near ready ...

Throwing him out there especially with this SUPPORTING CAST was like putting a pre calc test in front of a 5th graded ... there just not ready for it ...

WSU Willie #1332318 10/13/17 11:13 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Im a believer that accuracy can be IMPROVED it cannot be found where it is not. Looking at possible franchise prospects it should be WOW for accuracy...first n fore most. Has to be there..if there doesnt automatically make them a franchise QB ergo Kessler. Which I think where the trust me statement originated from. Hogan n Kizer are not in that wow categoey of accuracy... jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DiamDawg #1332326 10/13/17 11:27 AM
Legend
Legend
I think Hugh has totally blown the qb situation. We started the pre season with 4 quarterbacks. Week 5 we're starting the least prepared one of the bunch....the one he put last on the depth chart and barely mentioned. Where would we be if Hogan had gotten some decent reps with the ones instead of wasting them on the others?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
DiamDawg #1332366 10/13/17 12:12 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Somehow I don't think that being an NFL HC is the same thing as being a great public speaker. We can dissect every word he says if people think that's a quality you expect from your HC. But I think it's just being petty.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
WSU Willie #1332444 10/13/17 01:13 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Here are Hogan's combine comparisons:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/kevin-hogan

Interesting and thanks for that. I couldn't find a % for Hogan tho?

The percentages are how closely those players compare to Hogan.

DiamDawg #1332979 10/14/17 09:54 AM
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
I think Kizer had a bad week, he needs to put his head down and work until he's called under center again.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Enigmatic Evil
I think Kizer had a bad week, he needs to put his head down and work until he's called under center again.

He's played pretty poor since game one of regular season. Darn those pesky defensive schemes and having to actually play QB in a non-preseason game!!!!!!!!!!!!

DiamDawg #1332988 10/14/17 10:00 AM
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
Not disagreeing with that at all but I think the last week was particularly bad for him and that the best way forward for him would be to not let it weigh him down too badly and to put the work in. Throwing teammates under the bus and the whole twitter nonsense, it just hasn't been a good week in that regard combined with the benching.

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Twitter nonsense? ... what did i miss ... please elaborate ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He's had a bad month. I think, and this is just an opinion, that he became overwhelmed with everything he needed to remember and keep track of. For example, while he was concentrating on getting rid of the ball and taking off running he stopped finding the open man. He needs to process more quickly and until the game slows way down for him I think he'll continue to struggle. It's not an indictment, just that I believe he's shown he needs time to sit and learn. I was all for him starting and learning on the job once he showed well in pre-season and after they cut Brock, but Kizer clearly began to regress in the areas he was good at while trying to improve on the areas that needed work. I think it became too much.

I think Hogan looked very similar last year during his limited play. The year within the system has made quite a difference. Of course, Hogan has a distinct advantage, starting three and a half years in a pro-style offense with a superior completion percentage. He's also a student of the game and likely spent a lot of time studying during the off season. Hopefully, Kizer will do the same whether he gets back on the field this year or not. Chances are he'll get back out there at some point this year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
DiamDawg #1332992 10/14/17 10:05 AM
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
http://www.12up.com/posts/5660094-deshon...ity?a_aid=40396

Created a bit of a stir on reddit and some other parts...

Doesn't bother me personally but i just think it weighed down what was not a good week for the kid lol.

CalDawg #1332994 10/14/17 10:08 AM
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

He's had a bad month. I think, and this is just an opinion, that he became overwhelmed with everything he needed to remember and keep track of. For example, while he was concentrating on getting rid of the ball and taking off running he stopped finding the open man. He needs to process more quickly and until the game slows way down for him I think he'll continue to struggle. It's not an indictment, just that I believe he's shown he needs time to sit and learn. I was all for him starting and learning on the job once he showed well in pre-season and after they cut Brock, but Kizer clearly began to regress in the areas he was good at while trying to improve on the areas that needed work. I think it became too much.

I think Hogan looked very similar last year during his limited play. The year within the system has made quite a difference. Of course, Hogan has a distinct advantage, starting three and a half years in a pro-style offense with a superior completion percentage. He's also a student of the game and likely spent a lot of time studying during the off season. Hopefully, Kizer will do the same whether he gets back on the field this year or not. Chances are he'll get back out there at some point this year.

Agreed all around, to be fair. I'm not really left with any ammo to defend Kizer outside the old "he's young, and needs work, and bla bla bla development"... I haven't seen a lot to be really happy about and we're a winless football team so that goes without saying the QB is a part of that. I agree bottom line he was overwhelmed out there and maybe it took Hue too long to notice/accept that too?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wow. Probably wishes he could take that back. I'm sure he "liked" the support but threw the Browns under the bus, possibly unintentionally. You can "unlike" in Twitter so I wonder if he left it that way or pulled his "like".

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D

Doesn't bother me personally but i just think it weighed down what was not a good week for the kid lol.

Can't say I even knew/was aware. I mean, he didn't say anything personally but liking a Tweet of that nature is like "almost" saying it.

Hey Kizer, your play contributed to a big reason we aren't building.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
I agree bottom line he was overwhelmed out there and maybe it took Hue too long to notice/accept that too?

Possibly, but I think Hue might have figured that going against the Jets would help him build some confidence. I don't know if pulling him before that game would have been the right thing to do, but pulling him after certainly was.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1333024 10/14/17 11:30 AM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
So has anyone affiliated with the team acknowledged that starting Kizer early was a mistake? Now he needs to sit and learn, but he didn't at the beginning of the season? What changed? Did they not evaluate him properly?
Do you really expect someone from the team to admit the above?

I think they hoped that Kizer would improve and grow into the position.

edromeo #1333030 10/14/17 11:50 AM
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
Originally Posted By: edromeo
So has anyone affiliated with the team acknowledged that starting Kizer early was a mistake? Now he needs to sit and learn, but he didn't at the beginning of the season? What changed? Did they not evaluate him properly?

This is why starting Kizer early was not a mistake.

There was only one way to find out how well Kizer would sink or swim. We had to explore that option IMO.

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D

There was only one way to find out how well Kizer would sink or swim. We had to explore that option IMO.

He wasn’t ready ... all we learned is that a 7th grader isn’t ready for advanced calculus ...

Thats all we learned ...

edromeo #1333043 10/14/17 12:15 PM
Legend
Legend

Yep, and we have paid coaches and talent evaluators that should get these things right once in a while. We always miss out, fail or find some way to screw it up.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E

Completely disagree.

I thought it was clear that Kizer wasn't ready. Everything he is doing now he was doing then. Holding the ball too long, not having command of the offense, being late on throws.

I don't like Brock. But it was clear to me that Brock was more ready to start for the team then Kizer.

I am not writing Kizer off. I think the skillset is there.
He comfort level in the offense. His ability to recognize and the willingness to throw the ball on time in rhythm to the areas dictated by the coverage need to catch up with his physical ability.

Hopefully the process wasn't slowed or damaged by him playing before he was ready.

edromeo #1333157 10/14/17 03:57 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C

No. It's more of a curiosity. Obviously something changed between the start of the season and now.

Not related:

It was the right decision to start Kizer, but the team panicked after he was so bad and couldn't wait out the growing pains.

It was the wrong decision to start Kizer, but they did it anyway.

It was the right decision to start Kizer based on what they knew at the time, things have changed since then.

cfrs15 #1333207 10/14/17 05:35 PM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E

No. It's more of a curiosity. Obviously something changed between the start of the season and now.

Not related:

It was the right decision to start Kizer, but the team panicked after he was so bad and couldn't wait out the growing pains.

It was the right decision to start Kizer based on what they knew at the time, things have changed since then.

Since it looks like we're stating our opinions as fact....

Nothing changed.

It was the wrong decision to start Kizer. Hue had to try something else and Hogan gave them a spark and looked like he could get the ball out on time which makes the offense work better.

It was not the right decision to start Kizer because he's showing the same flaws now as he showed in preseason, flaws that they hoped he could play through while improving. They tried it didn't work.

Playing Kizer early didn't work and now its Hogan turn and maybe Kizer can comeback with a better grasp of the offense.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

Yep. Baptism by fire. All the other QBs in our division started early in the regular season. Is it really too much to ask for that a rookie QB comes in and plays competently?

CHSDawg #1333223 10/14/17 06:12 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

Yep. Baptism by fire. All the other QBs in our division started early in the regular season. Is it really too much to ask for that a rookie QB comes in and plays competently?

To be fair, every other QB in our division played quite many more games in college than did Kizer. Flacco was known for being very accurate (which is a bit of a surprise to me) and Ben went to a team that could win the Super Bowl with Kizer in Ben's rookie year with their running game and defense. Dalton was a 5yr collegian and joined a loaded Bengals team.

Interestingly enough, Hogan is the Browns QB with the most-similar college background of the other QBS in our division. Kizer isn't even close. That doesn't ensure Hogan will succeed and become the guy...but it's there.

edromeo #1333251 10/14/17 07:31 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C

Not related:

Nothing changed.

It was the wrong decision to start Kizer. Hue had to try something else and Hogan gave them a spark and looked like he could get the ball out on time which makes the offense work better.

It was not the right decision to start Kizer because he's showing the same flaws now as he showed in preseason, flaws that they hoped he could play through while improving. They tried it didn't work.

Playing Kizer early didn't work and now its Hogan turn and maybe Kizer can comeback with a better grasp of the offense.

I wasn't trying to state anything as a fact. Just brainstorming the situation.

DiamDawg #1335101 10/16/17 02:49 PM
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Kevin Hogan - QB - Browns

Browns coach Hue Jackson will announce his Week 7 starter at quarterback on Wednesday.
Kevin Hogan was scarcely better than DeShone Kizer in the Browns' latest dismal loss on Sunday. Jackson also claimed Kizer "learned a lot" by watching Hogan and the game unfold from the sideline. Whomever the Browns start at quarterback in Week 7 will have a nonexistent receiver corps and barely functional running game.

I feel sorry for Hue ... i really do .... hes getting blamed for all kinds of things hes not responsible for ... he has no qb .. NONE ... theres no good options ... NEVER WAS A GOOD ONE ....

Bit man i gotta tell you ... if hue sends Kizer back out there now hes making another mistake .... he could not have handled this any worse than he has ... and hes throwing another log on the fire if Kizer starts again anytime soon ...

cfrs15 #1335116 10/16/17 03:07 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

Not related:

Nothing changed.

I think a factor in the mishandling of Kizer was the glow of having gone 4-0 in the preseason. The mistake of thinking Kiser's preseason performance was indicative of what he could do in real games.

Of course Kizer wasn't gonna say "I'm not ready."

I think if Hue Jackson was "staying the course", he would have sat Kizer and never let him play for a year.

No matter how badly the Browns lost and how badly plenty of half-wits would have said, "He needs to put Kizer in."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg

Not related:

Nothing changed.

I think a factor in the mishandling of Kizer was the glow of having gone 4-0 in the preseason. The mistake of thinking Kiser's preseason performance was indicative of what he could do in real games.

I think if Hue Jackson was "staying the course", he would have sat Kizer and never let him play for a year.

No matter how badly the Browns lost and how badly plenty of half-wits would have said, "He needs to put Kizer in."

I kind of agree, but wouldn't hesitate to put him in once he could make the reads.

He has enough of the other tools to be able to play at that point.

DiamDawg #1335153 10/16/17 04:14 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Deputy,

He undoubtedly has the potential.

Ever hear of a great baseball player named Yogi Berra?

He had a quote that really hit the nail on the head.

"The game is 90% mental, the other half is physical."

I wonder what quarterback had the greatest rookie season of all-time. (probably had stellar teammates)

Kizer's only 21 years old. He has no chance against 27 year-old veterans.

DiamDawg #1335170 10/16/17 04:48 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Jackson also claimed Kizer "learned a lot" by watching Hogan and the game unfold from the sideline.

I think this is the fallacy of what we are watching here... improvement isn't going to be on a week to week basis or having that "AHA" moment where a light comes on mid-week or watching somebody else fail..

He's going to struggle a lot until he doesn't. It's all going to look painfully similar for a while. Likely what will happen, if he's going to get better and turn a corner it's going to be after he struggles all year, then gets into the off-season when things slow down and he really has a chance to evaluate what happened and why it happened.. then he can come back next year with a better perspective. I do not expect any big light bulb moments of improvement for the rest of this year. I'm hoping he stays healthy and I'm hoping to see flashes of potential talent.

All of this will, of course, lead to speculation about what the Browns will do with the #1 pick again next year since he will not have turned a corner yet.

yebat' Putin
DiamDawg #1335182 10/16/17 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm STILL waiting for the "Trust me on this guy" promise about Kessler to materialize. Hue's beginning to come off as a great charlatan...

1oldMutt #1335231 10/16/17 07:38 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
I'm STILL waiting for the "Trust me on this guy" promise about Kessler to materialize. Hue's beginning to come off as a great charlatan...

You have obviously not drank his elixir of life.

#GMSTRONG
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S

12UP is a crap site. It makes outrageous claims on rumors and innuendos. I've read their crap on Facebook for a year....garbage.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
[quote=cfrs15][quote=edromeo][quote=cfrs15][quote=edromeo][quote=cfrs15]

Still, Thomas -- who's played with a constellation of quarterbacks during his decade-plus in Cleveland -- went out of his way to say this week: "I think they're grooming Brock to be the starter Week 1," adding: "Just because DeShone might be good in a few years doesn't mean he's ready now."

Browns All-Pro left tackle Joe Thomas believes DeShone Kizer needs more time before he's thrown into the fire of a starting job.

Cleveland's rookie quarterback has taken those words to heart.

"He's been in the NFL since I've been in seventh grade, so whatever he says is probably pretty accurate," Kizer noted Thursday, per The Plain Dealer. "Obviously, it's still the same message that I continue to push. The more time you have, the more comfortable you become, the more confident you are throwing the ball, and he's just seconding that statement."

Said Kizer: "This is a process that has been preached to me from day one how this is going to go. When they're ready and I'm ready, I can trust in the fact that the coach is going to put me out there. So as long as I can continue to trust in them, which I will, there isn't really a timeline for myself. I'm just trying to get better every day and allow coach [Hue] Jackson to make the calls."

It's not that Kizer doesn't want to start -- he certainly does -- but the second-rounder has taken a realistic approach to his development ever since the Browns nabbed him the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ng-im-not-ready

1) I do believe that Hogan came in and won us the last two preseason games.

2) I think Kizer knew he wasn't ready. article above is from 8/18/2017. we threw him into the fire way too early. imo

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
1oldMutt #1335296 10/16/17 09:44 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
I'm glad someone noticed! It's just the tip of the iceberg! Said Kizer will be a TREMENDOUS QB in the NFL... LOL

Exciting football will be back in Cleveland this fall!
DiamDawg #1335313 10/16/17 10:37 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think hogan deserves another start.
At home, with another week of work with the 1s.
Mary Kay has her mind made up - such as it is - and it also seems like those calling for Kizer again have short memories. He could use another week or two off.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
DiamDawg #1335328 10/16/17 11:11 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Sit Kizer until next season. Do we really need to ruin him.

No Craps Given
DiamDawg #1335335 10/17/17 12:01 AM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
we will see kizer this year. i hope he learns from his hesitations.

im almost thinking cody might get a half, almost preseason like.

kizer throws the ball too hard according to britt so lets see britt cry

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
EveDawg #1335343 10/17/17 01:25 AM
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Sit Kizer until next season. Do we really need to ruin him.

There is no next season. If he doesn't get it right this year, everyone will be fired, and we'll be drafting another quarterback in 2018. Kizer has to grow up quickly.

BDU #1335378 10/17/17 07:00 AM
Legend
Legend
'DeShone Kizer will likely be reinstated as Browns starting quarterback, by Wednesday'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...art_river_index

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mr. Kizer

Link Copied to Clipboard