Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Tom Clements - from the Packers

Dirk Koetter - if he gets fired

Agreed. Here's a name you'll recognize...John DePhillippo. (sic?).

I liked him when he was here, and I think that he's a sharp offensive coach.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I hope it's true that Hue will hire an OC. IMO this is one of the biggest reasons why we are in the mess we're in. Hue is trying to do too much. An OC would be a big help and Hue could concentrate on just being HC.

Would it be Hue or Haslam hiring an OC? Haslam, yes?

And I agree, I would like it if we kept Hue and got an OC, but I think Hue is probably gonna get the boot.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

He's going to get head coach interviews.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Hopefully here?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'd rather see

Devicedawg, Vers, Superbrown, Spiritbro, Diam, CHS, or a couple others as our new HC then another year of Hue.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
eotab, cfrs, endromeo

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
Legend
I love me some parades as well! Vers, you up for it? Get your staff from this board? Maybe we ought to hire from top finishers in the fantasy league?

What is our scouts status going into draft? Is Dorsey bringing some? Training ours? Shooting problems on sight? On site?

Hope he gives us some edge and some age and some talent and a viable QB!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Rich Gannon, please.

He knows much about the Awwwwwfense.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: eotab
I do not want the Playbook to change. The Vocabulary to change. If we bring in an experienced in control OC we change the system.

I think if we bring in an up and comer young guy who will be willing to be mentored by Hue and his system. Learn the vocabulary, learn the playbook. Be involved in the Game plan and most important be strongly involved in the execution of the play book and game plan. This way Hue can continue to call plays the young OC grow into the Offense and then maybe a couple years down the road without much change take over the play calling and the reigns.

For example...a guy like Chud back in the day when he was our TE coach but showed a future in Offense. Getting somebody like that to make the jump. From young position coach who is a good teacher. That is who I would want.

A Norv Turner type would bring in an entirely new system for all to learn.

jmho

I don't want wholesale changes either...what I DO want is for Hue to playcall in a way that these inexperienced guys can handle.

Our offense is putrid and I don't think the only answer is time/experience. Square peg round hole will work if you beat the peg long enough...but that's not the way to go about it.

I think Hue's playcalling is kind of wobbly and seems to be easy to anticipate, i can usually predict it anyway. Thoughts?

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
Especially wonky in red zone. He places a premium on tricky, gadget, unexpected, bizarre, or just hasn't worked so why call it now. Seems to get dumber the closer to the goal line he gets. An OC in the booth might help much. Kick it immediately inside the 30! He is easy to anticipate.

Just steamroll some people. Silly palette of plays needs thrown out. Somebody has to do better to carry Kizer's turnover ability and his stupid decisions. Don't think he has grown at all there. But, hey, aren't we number one there in the NFL?

Kinda redefines "loss leader" in an ironic sort of way, neh?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
Instead it's a gimmick play action play that's outside Kizer's skill level

Every play is outside of Kizer's skill level...that is the problem.

There would be DRIVES every series not once a half if we are lucky.

There would be flow in the O cause when you move the sticks it gets easier and easier to call successful plays.

Teams play some serious run D against us and our QB has not been able to hit the open WRs.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017...ns-carson-wentz

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I take back every bad thing I ever said about DeFlippo, which was a lot of things. It sounds like he knows what it takes to prepare for a game in the NFL.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
I take back every bad thing I ever said about DeFlippo, which was a lot of things. It sounds like he knows what it takes to prepare for a game in the NFL.

I liked DeFlippo.

He wasn't the reason for canning Pettine. Pettine blindly following O'Neil into the abyss was the reason for firing Pettine. DeFlippo was just a casualty of situation

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
E
Legend
Legend
E
Everybody likes a good coach once he is FIRED or basically once we do a mass clearing out.

So the answer is not to do another clearing of our staffs...OC?
I guess if we are going to get a young up and comer he could be the one (DeFillipo).

As long as Hue is ok with it...so am I - I've been all on lets get an OC as we need a none HC to spend time on our execution.
If its a guy Hue trusts with the whole kit and kaboodle then so be it. I'm sure Hue will still be on the head set and offer his own 2 cents on game day.

I'm all in with this one.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Does anyone think that if Hue Jackson stays and hires an offensive coordinator, that that coordinator will be anything more than a puppet?

Legend
Legend
Does anyone think that if Hue Jackson stays and hires an offensive coordinator, that that coordinator will be anything more than a puppet?

The only question will be steel or twine stings.

#GMSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Puppet or not, I don't care, if I thought it would produce wins.

The Problem I have is I believe Hue's ceiling is 3 wins next year if he stays. Assuming best case everything else.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Puppet or not, I don't care, if I thought it would produce wins.

The Problem I have is I believe Hue's ceiling is 3 wins next year if he stays. Assuming best case everything else.

With a 1 and 30 record, 3 wins is at best, pie in the sky.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Everybody likes a good coach once he is FIRED or basically once we do a mass clearing out.

I'm not sure I'm reading you here.

At least for myself, I was hoping that we'd keep DeFilipo when Pettine was fired. DeFilipo didn't seem to get a chance (probably because Hue didn't know him)

But offensively, I was impressed with what he put together with he players that we had. My only issue with him was that he didn't run the ball enough. It's one of the reasons Shannahan was a better OC.

I'm not playing Monday Morning QB. I always liked DeFilipo. Especially for a guy in his first year as OC

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
That would be a really interesting interview, especially with the new hire involved. take Hue up a notch & get him some help and a viable QB. The packers' OC seems to have something loaded all the time. The bigger half is the QB; a major part is OC and game planning.

Hue has earned the move to take him out of the loop with almost 30 losses and has shown he cannot right his ship (which is himself). He has plenty of other HC stuff to do.

This might be a fabulous hire.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Quote:

I'm not sure I'm reading you here.

At least for myself, I was hoping that we'd keep DeFilipo when Pettine was fired. DeFilipo didn't seem to get a chance (probably because Hue didn't know him)

But offensively, I was impressed with what he put together with he players that we had. My only issue with him was that he didn't run the ball enough. It's one of the reasons Shannahan was a better OC.

I'm not playing Monday Morning QB. I always liked DeFilipo. Especially for a guy in his first year as OC

Mass Clearing Out = is we fire the HC but almost all the Asst. get canned as well to let the new HC hire his own staff. Ergo the good ones like DeFilipo are cleared out as well.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:
Cleveland Browns: Owner Jimmy Haslam announced several times that Hue Jackson would be back in 2018. He was definitive. And yet it seems no one believes him. General manager John Dorsey has told people close to him as well that the plan is to keep Jackson, and that is how they'll proceed. Look for Dorsey to hire an offensive coordinator, which is tops on his priorities for staff changes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000900056/article/whos-safe-whos-out-afc-coaches-on-hot-seat

We can't get anything right.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:
Cleveland Browns: Owner Jimmy Haslam announced several times that Hue Jackson would be back in 2018. He was definitive. And yet it seems no one believes him. General manager John Dorsey has told people close to him as well that the plan is to keep Jackson, and that is how they'll proceed. Look for Dorsey to hire an offensive coordinator, which is tops on his priorities for staff changes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000900056/article/whos-safe-whos-out-afc-coaches-on-hot-seat

Which part, keeping Hue or Dorsey hiring the OC instead of Hue or both?

Anyway you slice it, until Haslam hires someone to run the team and have the important people report to, this team will never be better.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Quote:

Anyway you slice it, until Haslam hires someone to run the team and have the important people report to, this team will never be better.

The part I put in bold. I am resigned to the fact that Hue Jackson is coming back. Not letting him hire his own staff is just pouring gasoline on the fire.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Quote:

The part I put in bold. I am resigned to the fact that Hue Jackson is coming back. Not letting him hire his own staff is just pouring gasoline on the fire.

Hue was hired because of what he did as an OC. Now, the Browns are discussing hiring an OC for Hue and relieving him of duties on the the skill-set he was largely hired based upon.

I have seen zero tangible evidence on gameday where Hue has demonstrated his gamed acumen creates an edge for the team. So, why is he being retained (according to Haslam)?

This has Mangini lame duck written all over it.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I hope Dorsey his Dorsey, Ken!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't get too upset about that. Probably just the writer being lazy. Dorsey wants an OC hired for sure but that doesn't mean that he is the one picking.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Im sure whoever it is will eventually become the interim HC next year when Hue again fails to win a game halfway through the season.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
... the Browns are discussing hiring an OC for Hue ...

This has Mangini lame duck written all over it.

This can't be right...certainly not the norm. A helter-skelter way to do business, if true.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Still don't think Hue will have any of it. In his mind he is the man. He has the answers. I don't see it ending well... again.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
I don't see it ending well... again.

Indeed...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspor...call-plays/amp/

Jimmie Johnson on why he thinks HC shouldn’t call their own plays.

—————————————————————————-

I think people are reading too much into the loose journalism from that article saying no Dorsey would hire an OC. And technically he’s right because the GM does all the ‘hiring’. If Dorsey is the football guy everyone says he knows the HC needs to hire his OC.

Last edited by edromeo; 12/31/17 10:18 AM.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'll take on the hiring responsibility for Dorsey and Hue. Now does anyone have Ken Dorsey's phone number?

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I am not sure hiring a an offensive coordinator will help that much. Hue is an offensive coordinator first. That is why he was brought here to find and develop our franchise QB and to build an offense. So far these 2 areas are our weakest on the team. Will Hue give way to someone else running the offense? Will his ego let him? This can not be Hue's choice to release control of the offense and play calling. It's being forced on him. I don't see how this will work.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Why Ken? Because of the adaptability of the Panthers offense?

My top choice is Mike McCoy, the use the same verbiage on offense and he’s been seen both side of HC/OC relationship.

E
Legend
Legend
E
He's a get rid of Hue guy...cause we know how well that works... rolleyes

And the part about OC Rappaport is just guessing no inside info on that.

I would not want the GM to get our HC the OC...If there is a case I would want him to INSIST with Hue to get himself an OC and then help in the process.

jmho I don't want my GM picking the coaching staff under the HC...not a good way to start a relationship.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Then Hue goes and gets a stuffed shirt. A puppet or a yes man. I think Hues ego is BIG. I don't like the way he's conducted his business this season. Not very professional.

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 12/31/17 10:47 AM.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Why Ken? Because of the adaptability of the Panthers offense?

My top choice is Mike McCoy, the use the same verbiage on offense and he’s been seen both side of HC/OC relationship.

I think Dorsey is very smart. Colt McCoy has more talent than Dorsey ever did, but Dorsey was able to stay in the NFL for a long time. And I think that gives him a lot of perspective in the league that's rapidly evolved. When he was drafted you could go to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman, by the time he retired you'd need a franchise QB just to sniff the game. He has helped reign in Cam over the years and saw the Panthers to the Super Bowl. Offense is quickly becoming a young man's game and I think he's the next up. I think him and Hue could do wonders for Kizer or whoever we draft. I think Hue knows the game very well, but has not been prepared for the paradigm shift known as the option. Watching Hue call option plays makes my eyes bleed as I see all the blown assignments and moronic moves his players make. I think he needs to get a young guy in there who can help him flesh out the details and iron out the kinks.

McCoy would be an interesting option, but I am afraid of retreads being offensive coordinators. But having someone who can keep Hue's focus on the overall team would no doubt be very helpful to us.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I agree about the youth movement on the offensive side of the ball.
The best offenses seem to be coordinated by younger guys who learned a system then added their ideas.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Offensive Coordinator

Link Copied to Clipboard