Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Nate Ulrich
@bynateulrich

#Browns GM John Dorsey said he and Hue Jackson met with Antonio Callaway, told him they have low tolerance for incidents like Sunday marijuana citation, but Dorsey said he believes Callaway's story that he wasn't smoking and Callaway not telling team could just be rookie mistake

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Thing I really dislike is...

Calloway says it's his younger brothers weed...

Why did the Browns trade up for Calloway...They knew off his off field concerns, fraud, drugs, kicked off team, etc....I know they say he has 1st round talents, but so do alot of other players whom fall down the draft board...alot of 1st round talent "if"...its everywhere

If they did their research they would have also known anytime Calloway is around his brother, whom leaves joints in his car...He (calloway) has a strong urge or distraction right in front of him...

Pray that Calloway learns...he looked good on that grab tonight, I just hope all of his hoopla is over with.

Last edited by tru_dawgs; 08/10/18 01:34 AM.
Legend
Legend
I don't really want another drama filled WR ... like we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Let's hope hea learned BIG TIME

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I believe anybody whining and crying that Callaway should be cut, or that Dorsey should be fired for drafting him has to be on drugs themselves and they should immediately be fired as Browns fans. They should have their Browns Backer memberships revoked, season tickets canceled, fandom snuffed out, and names erased from anything Browns related before their hatred and Pessimism can effect the other diehard loyal and smart Browns fans.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
In fact, if getting cited makes you play lights out like this, maybe we ought to try it with a few others. JUST KIDDING! He had a great game.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just getting to this:
First, if you know NC laws, thats fine. The infraction was in OHIO so your not an expert! Second, I stated that the officer probably stated he smelled weed SO HE COULD SEARCH the car! In Ohio, cops can search if they smell it. BUT since Callaway gave consent, the cops do not have to develop a probable cause. That means if he got an attorney, the attorney could have argued the evidence was not his or it was an unlawful stop to possibly get the case thrown out.

So its smarter not to give consent. If the cops search anyway, ok but then in court, the facts of the stop/search can be questioned!!!

But you are right about your three certainties.. Weed heads NEVER clean out there car!!!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Yes, of course, technically that is how they treat the result, but that is not what the result was.

According to the NFL it's a failed test. People can dance around it all they wish but it is what it is.

Quote:
The result was a diluted sample. It simply gets treated as a positive, but it is NOT a positive.

On his record in the NFL it's a failed test. I thought that was the actual issue here. The NFL doesn't slide you a solid for a failed test no matter how you got it.

Quote:
just as you are doing it with your "by the book" stance of "that's the league rules, that's what it is" because you're just enjoying being argumentative wink

Actually I think it's far more a case of the culture that has been ingrained in our fans by the "Josh Gordon Experience".

Many of our fans wish to ignore what the NFL rules actually are. They wish to accept cheap excuses from our players and try to pretend that our players should receive some kind of special treatment.

I'm not sure what is going on with Josh Gordon right now. Nobody on this board really does. But in his past, he lied repeatedly to the media. He said all the right things and made all the right promises. Yet time after time he lied.

Here we sit, years later with still no Josh in camp. Yet after all that history, look at how the fans still accept him at his word. It's gotten beyond sickening.

So if you feel I just want to argue because I'm pointing out that no matter how many times people repeat diluted sample that means nothing to the NFL and that on his "record" it's a failed test, then you have at it.

If you think it's just trying to argue to point out that since he has a "failed test on his record" from the combine so he may face suspension and that those ARE the rules, that's fine.

But just remember, it's not me ignoring those things. It's me pointing them out. I didn't make the rules, I'm just reporting them. lol

I just wanted to add that I understand you were just poking fun. I just wanted to use this as an opportunity to explain my reasoning behind my position.

Last edited by PitDAWG; 08/10/18 01:15 PM. Reason: To add content

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
If we're giving him another chance, okay... if he farts in a place he shouldn't hereafter, cut him.

I'm tired of dealing with this type of WR drama. I got handfuls of all I can handle from Josh Gordon.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
If we're giving him another chance, okay... if he farts in a place he shouldn't hereafter, cut him.

I'm tired of dealing with this type of WR drama. I got handfuls of all I can handle from Josh Gordon.

I feel you man...I think with the crippling losing culture here, toppled with bonehead players whom cant ger their crap together...Really makes it irritating to those whom have witnessed enough.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
In fact, if getting cited makes you play lights out like this, maybe we ought to try it with a few others. JUST KIDDING! He had a great game.

He was lighting it up! (See what I did there).

I honestly believe that the FO is giving some leniency to the players who have concerns with marijuana simply due to the overwhelming medical evidence in its favor. I don't think Dorsey and Hue really care about weed, they just care about how weed could impact the team given the current rules.

I get that it is illegal in some states and against league policy but it I think people will eventually look back on this time in history and say "Wow remember when weed was illegal and the NFL would suspend players just for smoking?"

Last edited by CleVeLaNd_sTrife; 08/10/18 02:30 PM.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife

He was lighting it up! (See what I did there)
thumbsup

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Antonio Callaway puts nerves to rest with big 2nd half

Spencer Holbrook

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/ant...medium=referral

Antonio Callaway had a rough start to his preseason debut.

The rookie wide receiver from Florida had three catchable balls fall incomplete in the first half, and it looked like he would struggle from start to finish in his first NFL action.

At halftime, Henry told Callaway he was thinking about the game too much, and he wasn’t playing. It calmed Callaway down, and then, the second half happened.

In the second half, Callaway showed the Browns why they drafted him. Two of his three catches came in the second half, including one he took 54 yards to the end zone for his first professional touchdown, a slant route and dart from fellow rookie Baker Mayfield.

“I just had to talk to Coach Henry a bit and let him calm me down,” Callaway said. “I was just a little anxious and excited.”

Although the nerves got to him, he calmed down and finished with three catches on seven targets for 87 yards and the aforementioned touchdown catch-and-run.

Browns coach Hue Jackson knows Callaway has ability, as seen in the second half. But Callaway hadn’t played a down of competitive football for over a year. There were bound to be nerves, and there were. Jackson figured as the game progressed, Callaway would get better, and he did just that.

“He hadn’t played football in quite a while,” Jackson said. “To be out there with the ones and playing, getting after it a little bit, I think that was different. I think he settled down in the second half and started to play football.”

After the Browns traded Corey Coleman, it was presumed that Callaway would start with the first-team offense against the Giants, which he did. But he wasn’t targeted by starting quarterback Tyrod Taylor. All seven came from Mayfield.

And as much attention as the touchdown is garnering, it wasn’t the play that turned the most heads. The play that did, however, was almost not a play at all.

On a third-and-seven in the third quarter, Mayfield scrambled right; Callaway broke toward the sideline. Mayfield fired a pinpoint pass along the sideline to a diving Callaway, who tiptoed out of bounds. The play was initially ruled incomplete, but was later overturned by review.

The overturned call resulted in a 26-yard gain, a first down and a glimpse into the future of two rookies connecting.

“I think he was catching his breath a bit, but it’s just focusing on doing his job and his job only,” Mayfield said of Callaway. “The execution, when he did it right, obviously it showed so I think it was just focusing in, realizing he didn’t have to worry about too much, just doing his job.”

After the events of the past week, Callaway needed a game like he had against the Giants.

Before the game, general manager John Dorsey said he and Jackson met late Tuesday with Callaway, who was cited for marijuana possession and a suspended driver’s license Sunday morning by Strongsville Police, and outlined Cleveland’s expectations going forward. Later that night, Callaway addressed the team and apologized for his actions, telling the players he “had their backs.”

Thursday’s performance was a start, helping shed some of the negative light he brought upon himself in the last week. He’s ready to put that incident behind him.

“I’m 100 percent committed to the Browns,” Callaway said.

On the field and off the field, Dorsey urged Callaway was “a little bit of a work in progress.” Thursday’s second half certainly counted as progress.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
All kinds of clever there! High five! rofl thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
So .. I didn't read all the pages in this thread but what IS the NFL policy on something like this.? He passes a test ( Many, I assume ) Yet he's cited for possession of an illegal substance.
I gotta believe he's getting a 2-4 game break once the legal process is over. Hard to accept the NFL would say u can have all the weed u want as long as you pass the test.... U think ?

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All kinds of clever there! High five! rofl thumbsup

Gordon,Calloway,... Who were the other 3?

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I don't see whats special about Callaway.

I stand by my statements. He will prove to be a distraction to this team, and he will be in more trouble soon. He can't help himself. 3 years from now when he has done nothing for the team but various off the field issues, we will finally wise up and get rid of him.

Callaway is the Johnny Manziel of WR's....being the Browns it will take us awhile to wise up and realize we should have parted ways years ago...we are so desperate for talent, we will take anyone who even shows an inkling of talent, even if they have glaring personality issues, are thieves, and complete arses...its a sad state of affairs...

Callaway wouldn't even be considered to be drafted by Bellichik or any other winner, hell Callaway wouldn't even have been drafted by another team had we not taken him...even the last pick in the 7th round would have been too risky for this guy the rest of NFL GM's. As always, the Browns try to outsmart everyone else, and in the end we will look like fools for it.

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 08/10/18 09:29 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Dude, you don't "know" squat. You are just guessing like everyone else.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
I don't see whats special about Callaway.

I stand by my statements. He will prove to be a distraction to this team, and he will be in more trouble soon. He can't help himself. 3 years from now when he has done nothing for the team but various off the field issues, we will finally wise up and get rid of him.

Callaway is the Johnny Manziel of WR's....being the Browns it will take us awhile to wise up and realize we should have parted ways years ago...we are so desperate for talent, we will take anyone who even shows an inkling of talent, even if they have glaring personality issues, are thieves, and complete arses...its a sad state of affairs...

Callaway wouldn't even be considered to be drafted by Bellichik or any other winner, hell Callaway wouldn't even have been drafted by another team had we not taken him...even the last pick in the 7th round would have been too risky for this guy the rest of NFL GM's. As always, the Browns try to outsmart everyone else, and in the end we will look like fools for it.

B.S. - even on draft day there were analysts wondering how long he would last in the 2nd.

Dirty Mel on the word from GMs around the league:
“Some people thought second- or third-round over the last month or two,” Kiper said. “It’s hard, because it’s individual teams that have to make that call. That’s what they’re all assessing now. I’d say the second round’s a little high for me. When you get into the fourth, fifth-round area, that’s when you start thinking about Antonio Callaway. That’s what I would do.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/antonio-callaway-florida-wr-nfl-draft-gators

I don't see Callaway renting hotels, throwing parties and talking on his "money phone". I don't see him acting like he's earned something before he has. Kid makes, and continues to make, stupid mistakes. Hopefully he learns from this one, hopefully someone wiser than the company he has kept in the past - gets in his ear. We'll see.

Until then - STILL, 1st round talent that we took a chance on in the 4th.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
All Pro
All Pro
I think the rules for POT in the NFL are ridiculous. Just who are these jerks who establish the intake levels and how did they determine it. Power in the hands of fools is a detrimental disaster.

Exciting football will be back in Cleveland this fall!
Legend
Legend
They are the business owners, who collectively bargained the levels with the Players Union.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
What is it with flake receivers?

As I type, in the Pure Football forum there are three threads with 300+ posts and one thread with 200+ posts - all of them about diva receivers.

What is it about the receiver position in football that attracts far more than its fair share of divas, flakes, lollygaggers, flibbertygibbets, and just plain head cases? And it's not just the Browns who have this problem - it's all over the sport.

Any why do we pay so much attention to them? Even I can't tear myself away from these dumb threads. Here I am posting again :-/

Legend
Legend
About the 'high' more than the 'five.' Count 'em twice or so.

Legend
Legend
i think a lot of it has to do with our lack of WR talent in the past ... I mean, we've had such crap there for so long

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
tall guys are more likely to be divas

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Yeah, Bellicheck. The guy who drafted Aaron Hernandez,whom was a gangbanger, shot his buddy in the face and left him for dead and murdered someone else. That a great example of drafting based upon moral compass.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It wouldn't take players with a compass. I'd settle for some that just had an average sense of direction.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
There are SEVERAL patrol officers on the Strongsville PD. that are really LAME ! Believe me on this one !

There are several officers on every PD that are really lame....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Didn't see this posted, may have missed it...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24359794/cleveland-browns-kept-antonio-callaway-game-punishment

Cleveland Browns coach Hue Jackson decided to punish Antonio Callaway for his traffic stop last Sunday by making him play for most of Thursday's preseason opener against the New York Giants.

"I was trying to make him play the whole game if we could," Jackson said of the rookie wide receiver. "I did not want him to come out."

Callaway didn't inform the Browns that he was cited for marijuana possession and a suspended license last week, and Jackson didn't become aware of the incident until the news broke Tuesday. Dashcam video of the stop showed police also found bullets and a gun part in the car.

"That was part of the consequence of what he has been through, and he knows it. That is what it was. Either you sit him or make him play. I thought it was better to make him play," Jackson said Sunday.

"Make him play as long as he could. There were a couple of times he kept waving to come out, and we said, 'No, stay in.'"

The fourth-round pick out of Florida was limited in practice Sunday by a rib injury. Jackson indicated that Callaway likely suffered the injury in Thursday's game.

Antonio Callaway played 54 snaps for the Browns in Thursday's preseason game as punishment for his traffic stop last week. He finished with three catches for 87 yards, including this 54-yard touchdown reception from Baker Mayfield. Vincent Carchietta/USA TODAY Sports

"He tried to fight through [practice]. I am glad that he is out there trying, competing, going and catching. He has to learn that sometimes you have to play with those things a little bit. We will get through it," Jackson said.

Callaway, who was on the field for 54 plays Thursday, finished the game with three receptions for 87 yards and a touchdown on a 54-yard pass from Baker Mayfield. After the game he told reporters that he was "doing whatever I have to do to gain my coaches' and my teammates' trust back. So that won't happen again."

Jackson said Sunday he was pleased with Callaway's reaction to having to play most of Thursday's game.

"He worked through it. There were times he had his hands -- I am sure you saw it -- he had his hands on his head like this, and he was ready to go to the sideline," Jackson said. "We said, 'Uh-uh, you are back in there.' He fought through it, came out the other side of it and made some plays. That was good."

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I am on the fence about this. What is a better punishment, not playing/traveling in/to your first NFL game or having to play the whole game while tired?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I am on the fence about this. What is a better punishment, not playing/traveling in/to your first NFL game or having to play the whole game while tired?

His mind says the first, his body Friday morning says the second haha.

I just hope his rib injury isn't serious and more importantly, he doesn't become stupid anymore. One more pinch of a screw up, I myself would cross him off the list.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Which punishment benefits the team more? Letting him play.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

You have to know somebody really well to know what motivates them and I obviously don't know Callaway at all.. I also have no idea what Hue's motivation and intent was.. but...

This could have played out perfectly for both. If (and it might be a big "if") Callaway is motivated by success and money (and no, not everybody is)... all somebody has to do is sit down and show him the tape from the game... 3 catches, 87 yards, 1 TD... point out that if he can do that semi-regularly.. in a few years he's going to have a whole lot more money in his bank account.. or he can keep screwing up and end up with nothing... His choice.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Not a bad idea for punishment, especially since he's probably the one guy who needs tons of reps at WR

M
Legend
Legend
M
Kinda ironic that Hue didn't want to play guys in the third day of practice for health/safety reasons but was willing to force a guy who hasn't played in a football game since 2016 to play 4 quarters last Thursday to "punish" him. I think there were better ways to handle punishing Callaway.

Cue the "You just want Hue fired" brigade.....

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind this ?? His problems are not on the field but off .. We don't need another Winslow incident ..

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm referring to risking his health and injury.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So was I ..

M
Legend
Legend
M
The guy hadn't played a game in close to two years- probably not in the best football shape. Running him out there and forcing him to play every snap, even when he was asking to be replaced because he was so winded isn't smart. It's dangerous.

I would rather Hue had told him to stay at home and watch from TV risking the chance to make the team or having him suit up and just sit on the sidelines and watch all game, still not able to show what he can do.

Having a guy play a football game, even if it was just a half, doesn't seem like much of a punishment either. Sorry, I just think it could have been handled better.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dawg , you are arguing with yourself .. lol ..

I agree with you ! When I said this ( Not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind this ?? His problems are not on the field but off ) I was referring to the Coaching staff and their handling of the situation.

What I did like was the number of snaps Corbet got at LG..

M
Legend
Legend
M
rofl

Quote:
Not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind this ??

Hahaha, my bad! I thought this quote meant you were asking me to justify my reasoning for commenting the way I did.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Antonio Callaway cited for marijuana possession

Link Copied to Clipboard