eotab #1556843 11/29/18 12:43 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
To the HATERS ...

- we didn’t overpay ...

- VICE GRIPS IS A STUD ...

Wait and see ... as usual the RUSH TO JUDGEMENT crowd will be proven wrong ...

Dude’s a baller ... its like the last 3 years DIDNT EXIST ...

There a MYTH ... a LEGEND ... like the boogeyman and the axe murderer living in the woods in every camp ground in america ... *LOL* ...

Good lord ...

Next years gonna be ALOT OF FUN ...

And i will NEVER SAY I TOLD U SO ... thumbsup

DiamDawg #1556846 11/29/18 12:45 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
And i will NEVER SAY I TOLD U SO

I'll do it for ya...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
cfrs15 #1556862 11/29/18 01:49 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think Landry is a square block in a round hole in this offense. He's asked to do things that he's not good at. I think next year after a capable coaching staff can design their own offense that Landry and Mayfield could be the formidable duo ala brady/edelman/amendola

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
cfrs15 #1556877 11/29/18 02:21 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
landry is the guy that garners the attention. That will begin to change as Njoku is starting to catch the ball more. Callaway is starting to become a bit more consistent. He simply doesn't see a lot of the one on one stuff, he seems to always have a safety or linebacker leaning coverage his way.

This has actually really opened up a lot of those screens and swing passes. Also the job landry has done in the run game has been instrumental in Chubb's big runs. He is the tone setter out there. HE sets an example in practice and in meeting rooms for this young team.

His numbers will improve as the team improves. For most of the year he was the only thing on offense teams really had to prepare for because everyone else was just a ??? Lets see how these next 5 play out. I think he is due for a breakout. I think it could be this week.

eotab #1556882 11/29/18 02:38 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I really see both sides of the debate here and agree with both. Wishy washy...I know.

I'll add that I think he was the right guy - or right kind of guy - at the right time. Yeah...we probably are over-paying him. But coming off a bad run and having zero credibility, he instantly alleviated some of that...before the season even started.

I have no doubt that he is rubbing off on the young guys. Beggars can't/couldn't be choosers.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Hes as good or better than Cooks AND Watson and they BRACKET Landry in deals made from this off season ...

WE DID NOT OVERPAY ...

Did u get the e-mail with the attachment bro? ... no rush, just wanna make sure u got it ...

DiamDawg #1556901 11/29/18 03:05 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
There's no question we overpaid. But it's not a big deal.

He may be here next year. May not. I would bet he's gone before the 5 years is up.

cfrs15 #1556906 11/29/18 03:11 PM
Legend
Legend
A lot might depend on who we draft/sign too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
cfrs15 #1556940 11/29/18 03:52 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Landry is a competent member of what is a rather lackluster WR room. We have a million more things that need upgrading before Landry does.

He isn't a dynamic legit 1 like Jones, Hopkins, etc. but he is a high end number 2 that can be used as a one for teams like us. If we put him with a guy Ds have to gameplay for over the top deep.....he would be awesome. I guess the hope is Calloway develops, because I don't see a WR that can really be that guy in this year's draft.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
cfrs15 #1556943 11/29/18 03:54 PM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Contract only guaranteed through 2020.

Yes he's over rated.

Yes he is something this team desperately needs (Vet leadership)

Yes we probably over paid.

eotab #1556999 11/29/18 05:35 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: eotab
And i will NEVER SAY I TOLD U SO

I'll do it for ya...lol laugh

If Eotab calls in sick, I'll fill in for him. Landry is a beast, we're fortunate to have.

I'm grateful for Browns football.
KyDawg #1557020 11/29/18 06:08 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
I'm glad we are finding less things to complain about. wink

He's on pace to to grab almost 90 catches, he leads by example with his toughness. I'm glad we have him.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
lampdogg #1557059 11/29/18 08:52 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I'm glad we are finding less things to complain about. wink.

Football is fun again. thumbsup

For Jarvis Landry, winning trumps all

Jimmy Watkins
CONTRIBUTOR

Jarvis Landry views himself as one of the best receivers in the league, and his constant record-setting reception pace supports his claim.

But while the Browns offense has exploded, Landry has been relatively quiet.

Cleveland’s offense, led by new coordinator Freddie Kitchens, has created opportunities for Landry’s teammates, but Landry’s role hasn’t been depended upon as much as he was during the first half of the season. The Browns have won their last two games with Landry seeing the ball less (five targets each game) than he has since 2016.
It’s quite the dichotomy for the three-time Pro-Bowler.

“I am a competitor, I want to do my part,” Landry said. “I do not want to be one of those guys that came here and got a check and did not earn it. I want to earn my check to some degree. But at the same time, it is translating into wins. For me, that is what is most important.”

Winning is all that matters to Landry but Landry understandably wants to play more of a part in those wins. Part of the reason for his peace of mind is his belief that his opportunities will return.

That trust is a two-way street. Landry believes he’ll be targeted more eventually; Kitchens believes Landry won’t make a fuss about the targets. So far, so good.
“I do not think it is a problem,” Kitchens said. “Jarvis understands that there is progression in routes, and progression in reads and if he is covered, somebody else is open. Ultimately, it is about winning.”

That's the sentiment echoed throughout the locker room, and it’s not like Landry isn’t contributing to these wins. Even when Landry’s not being targeted, he’s commanding attention, often from the opponents’ best defensive backs.

He’s also the most experienced receiver on the Browns’ roster. He leads his young position mates in everything they do. Coach Gregg Williams mentioned that Landry accepting a lesser role is helping the Browns break out of tendencies and catch defenses off guard.

The results deserve no explanation. The Browns offense is peaking over the last few weeks. It’s good for the offense as a whole for Baker Mayfield to complete passes to so many different receivers. It’s good to feature multiple weapons for defenses to worry about. And it’s impossible not to notice how much better the Browns have looked while sharing the offensive glory.

Landry believes the big plays will come. Maybe this stretch of reduced targets will even play a part in his resurgence.

“To have a good view about it, everybody else making plays — it’s gonna come a time where defenses are gonna have to respect everybody,” Landry said. “Then I can get my matchup that I want and make the plays.”

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1557080 11/29/18 09:33 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
OVERPAID BUM ... rolleyes ...

DiamDawg #1557081 11/29/18 09:35 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
OVERPAID BUM ... rolleyes ...

But he’s our overpaid bum. Thankfully.

#GMSTRONG
CalDawg #1557088 11/29/18 10:02 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
“To have a good view about it, everybody else making plays — it’s gonna come a time where defenses are gonna have to respect everybody,” Landry said. “Then I can get my matchup that I want and make the plays.”

Landry is a total stud. Defenses know that and cover him very heavily. He is absolutely the defenses top priority in coverage. He still makes catches in double and triple coverage because the dude is fearless in making his catches.

He brings a passion that fires up the entire offense including Baker. That value he brings to the mental state of our offense is immeasurable especially to a young QB like Baker.

That being said he is NOT a true #1 WR. Haley used him that way and it's why he was not as effective. To be fair to Haley, with the injury bug at WR and Gordon sent packing he got put into a role he was not originally meant to be playing. Kitchens is being a lot smarter about it and moving him all around and forcing defenses to seek him out and find him. This is really opening things up for the other WRs and now that Higgins is back it's having a HUGE impact. I am a big fan of Higgins and I hope we resign him long term but I see him in direct competition with Landry as they tend to have the same style of game.

I think with Calloway starting to find his stride and emerging as a dependable WR it will also open things up for Landry. I don't know if Call will become our #1 WR or not but he can at least become our #2. Landry will always do his best work as a #2 or #3 WR because he is a tough as nails possession WR who makes the tough catches under pressure. It's also a big reason he doesn't have huge YAC stats because he is always catching in heavy traffic when the down and the game is on the line.

He is not overpaid at all and our offense would be putrid without him drawing regular double and triple coverages.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
D
Legend
Legend
D
U know bro ... your right ... he is not a “true # 1” ... i said that from day 1 ... but u know what .. lets go through the list ... bet theres a DOZEN TEAMS he’d be the #1 on ...

He does not have the ELITE SKILLS like Julio or AB or Hop ... he’s not as big and fast as Evans or Golladay (kids a STUD ... those that follow the game know ... the rest of ya’all will be fully aware by some oint in the 2020 season) ...

But he’s PLENTY DANG GOOD ...

This is just not about VICE GRIPS not being a #1 is my point ... no, he’s not a TRUE #1 but he does not SUCK AT IT like i get the feeling some are saying ...

Look at THIS O ... lets see ...

- 2nd qb starting this year that happens to be a ROOK that got basically no snaps with the #1’s

- 2nd OC and HC for the year

- original OC never seemed to alter his playbook when the rook took over .. cause there games were so similar ... rolleyes

I DON’T DO EXCUSES ... this man can play and play at a HIGH LEVEL ...

DUDES not a true #1 but he is ONE HELL OF A PLAYMAKER!!!

Teams he would be a #1 on ... hope theres at least 12 ... *L* ..

Pitt - No
Cinci - No
Rats - BY A MILE .. make that 10 miles .. *L*

Indi - No
Tenn - close .. we’ll go no this time ..
J-village - yes
Hou - nope

Oak - yup
KC - nope
Denver - yes on a coin flip
SD - nope

Pats - maybe in that O .. no on a coin flip
Jets - yup
Jills - yup
Fish - yup ...

HOLY CRAP A DIVISION W/O a #1 right now ... Josh may be one .. not now ..

So thats 6 yeses by my count ...

GB - nope
Chi - yes on a coin flip
Minni - im gonna say no ... but this is close ... id say Diggs is there #1 cause of his speed .. Adam has basically the same skill set as VICE GRIPS ... but most of u won’t agree ... so its a no ...
Detroit - nope

NO - no
Atl - no
Carolina - yes
TB - No

Dall - no .... i would say yes .. not a fan of coops ... ya’all would have a stroke ..
Wash - yes
NYG - no
Phili - yes

Rams - no cause they don’t have a #1 ... hes better than any of them individually .. but thats a TRUE RECIEING CORPS ...
SF - yes
Seattle - right now ... yes ... thats not right ... no ... it’s Baldwin ... not this year cause hes hurt ... thats the closest thing to S. Smith we have today .. hes not steve but the man can ball ...
Zona - i say yes but out of respect for Fitz i’ll Say No ...

So i was one off ... it was 11 ... actually thought it would be more ...

Dude is not a true #1 ... hes also better than a HIGH END #2 ...

He’s a PLAYMAKER that helps u WIN GAMES ...

Thats how i “QUALIFY” him ...

I have zero doubt if Bake is who we think he is .....

We’ll see plenty of plays like we did in the Jets game that lead directly to victories out of that duo ... thumbsup

cfrs15 #1557186 11/30/18 10:05 AM
Legend
Legend
There's no doubt he's a playmaker. I think having ANOTHER playmaker with the opposite skill set will help him a lot

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
There's no doubt he's a playmaker. I think having ANOTHER playmaker with the opposite skill set will help him a lot

Agree with this, coverage shaded to his areas. They don't fear Higgins or Callaway one on one, especially in 2 deep.

cfrs15 #1557209 11/30/18 11:08 AM
Legend
Legend
yeah, have a BIG guy who can take the top off and see Landry start to perform better

DiamDawg #1557301 11/30/18 03:49 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This got weird.

No one said Landry sucks.

I think a lot of what is being said isn't 100% true. I don't think he's being double teamed nearly as much as people think. In fact he's been wide open a lot of the times, Baker just doesn't throw underneath.

He's not the first down machine everyone claimed he was when he came here. In fact he's one of the worst in the league. Actually, he's exactly who he was when he was in Miami. Everyone said he will be better here. We're gonna have to wait.

We waited 11 games which apparently isn't enough time for a 4 yr vet. Now we have to wait until next year. Landry will be in his 6th season and we're still waiting.

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Landry is now playing roughly 60% of the 2018 snaps in the slot and has run a route on 94% of passing plays. He's #7 IN THE NFL in targets, #5 IN THE NFL in target market share, #2 IN THE NFL in red zone targets and yet in production has only:

630 yards and 2 TDs on 60 catches.

The problem is he is turrible with YAC at 2.6 per reception (#45 in the NFL). He equalled or surpassed 50 total receiving yards in only 2 of the last 5 games; 3 in the last 8. His reception total ranking among NFL recievers has dipped pretty significantly which could mean a myriad of different things.

He is overrated. He was paid like a #1 and is not a #1.

I agree...Laundry his entire NFL career has been just a slightly better than average receiver. And that's all he will ever be. But on "this" team he looks like a Superstar because he is the best WR we have. When and if the Browns ever acquire a top playmaker the difference will be clear. Doesnt mean I dont like him. I love his play, I love his contribution but a Superstar he's not.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
But on "this" team he looks like a Superstar because he is the best WR we have.

Trust me. He doesn't look like a superstar so far.

Tackles are tackles.
cfrs15 #1557392 11/30/18 07:54 PM
Legend
Legend
what's his longest catch on the year?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
what's his longest catch on the year?

39 yards.

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Sometimes i wonder if some of u EVER watch anything but browns games and highlights ... and if u do .. i have to wonder if u have any clue what your watching ...

This thread right here proves it for most of u ...

Its like the first three years of his career were just some lucky fluke ... ALL THREE OF THEM ...

MIND BOGGLING ....

DiamDawg #1557419 11/30/18 08:38 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
You're sounding more and more like vers.

D
Legend
Legend
D
U gonna start trolling me now that Vers is gone arch ...

VERS PLEASE COME BACK ... *L*...

If the CLUELESS shoe fits ...

DiamDawg #1557454 11/30/18 09:29 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
I made a comment, on a message board. And all you can come up with is 'trolling", and then ask for help from your buddy?

Grow up.

DiamDawg #1557461 11/30/18 09:43 PM
Legend
Legend
Seems to me that J Landry falls into that category we call 'complimentary player.' He can't be considered a #1 WR, but I don't think that's his best game anyway.

Book on him is that he's quick but not fast. Runs good-great routes and catches most of what comes his way.

That ain't chopped liver, and teams NEED guys who fit this description. I think he's a good/very good #2, and quite welcome on this squad. My main gripe about trading away Gordon was that it would force Landry into a role he's less suited for. Gordon's presence would force double teams, leaving Landry to exploit the middle of the field and all those 12-25 yard routes.

Super important, because those are the plays that move chains.

I love seeing big splashy bombs for 6, but short to intermediate reliability is just as valuable to a team, if not more so.

Predix: If we can secure a true #1 either by draft, trade or FA, Landry will become even more valuable next year.

just another

"too many notes, not enough music-"
cfrs15 #1557495 11/30/18 10:40 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I have to laugh at the guy above complaining that he "only" has 630 yards. How many games do we have left? Is Baker making it a point to hit the open man? Has the poster noticed the blocks this guy throws down field? Do they notice that he does get most of the attention from the defense?

Landry is a stud. He may not have the flashy plays, but he is a very valuable piece on this offense. When the outside guys start making more of an impact, things will open up for him.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
I made a comment, on a message board. And all you can come up with is 'trolling", and then ask for help from your buddy?

Grow up.

Yeah but you knew where you were going with it. Didn't you?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
lampdogg #1557504 11/30/18 10:45 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
No. Can you enlighting me?

Clemdawg #1557545 12/01/18 01:48 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This is all still well and good. The point is there are better and cheaper options. It's not like we're trying to run routes with Gary Coleman or Stevie Wonder. He has value, but just not for what we are paying.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm the guy and I'm not complaining. I'm pointing out facts. But I have to laugh at the guy who comments without knowing what is the argument.

There are 5 games left. Based on his averages, he should finish with about 88 catches for 920 yds and 3 TD.

These are pretty much similar numbers he had in Miami when we made him one the top 10 highest paid wide receivers. Are these numbers worth what we are paying? I'll wait...

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I'm the guy and I'm not complaining. I'm pointing out facts. But I have to laugh at the guy who comments without knowing what is the argument.

There are 5 games left. Based on his averages, he should finish with about 88 catches for 920 yds and 3 TD.

These are pretty much similar numbers he had in Miami when we made him one the top 10 highest paid wide receivers. Are these numbers worth what we are paying? I'll wait...

When we "Paid" Landry, we also had Gordon. Everyone had a role to play, except Gordon's role, other than being the big, fast, # 1 receiver, was late to meetings, late to practice, saying he was hurt, as well as everyone being worried about relapse. Maybe Williams could have straightened him out. Hue appeared to coddle him. Dorsey felt as though he did not want to put up with anymore and traded him. Has anyone noted that Landry's best game was when Gordon was here ? The offense is still a work in progress and Landry is a very big part of that work.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
DiamDawg #1557568 12/01/18 04:54 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Some people just don't get it. No sense worrying about them. They are lost.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Clemdawg #1557605 12/01/18 08:36 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I may be arguing over very very very small differences in what verbage is used ... in this case for some reason WORDS are IMPORTANT to me ...

U said he’s a complimentary guy ... to me thats “downgrading” him ... i may be “parsing” words here (i think thats what i mean anyhow .. *LOL* ... one thing i can always count on ... one of my fellow dawgs will help me with any grammatical mistakes i make ... no worries there .. *L*) ..

He’s more than a “complimentary” guy or a real good #2 ... he’s a PLAYMAKER ... there’s maybe 20 - 25 TRUE PLAYMAKERS at that position in the nfl ...

He’s not a #1 but hes also NOT JUST a

- high end two
- complimentary guy
- slot reciever

To me ... those “labels” demean his value ....

On a side note ...

All u menZas that think we overpaid ...

Please give me a list of all the WR’su believe OUR BETTER BLOCKERS than VICE GRIPS ..

Also would like the list of WR’s that have gotten not one but two 15 yard penalties accessed against the DB’s covering them simply for blocking them to hard and genearally getting under their skin? ...

OR DON’T THOSE THINGS COUNT cause they dont fill up the stat sheet ...

Not to mention ... in that room ... u don’t think each and everyone of those YOUNG PUPS in that room DON’T WANNA EMULATE THE RECORD SETTING PRO BOWL RECIEVER we have in the room ... u think maybe VICE GRIPS HAS HAD SOME INFLUENCE on how HARD THEY BLOCK and how much PRIDE they take in doing it ..

Whats Nick got 3 long runs now ... WONDER HOW HE FEELS ABOUT VICE GRIPS and his boys ...

Hmmm ... the vice gripettes ...*LOL* ..

Ballpeen #1557607 12/01/18 08:51 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I guess the guy I’m looking for is Fitz ... one of the best to ever play the game ... no one argues that ... not at the top of the list but he’s there and hes prolly the least physically gifted guy on it ...

He was a “SLOT RECIEVER” .... his play over the years has gotten him over that moniker ...

Steve Largeant was also a “SLOT RECIEVER” ... he’s not thought of as a #2 or a “complimentary” guy ...

And they say he can’t beat double coverage ... well there was one game they had Billicheck mic’d up .. the game plan was to stop vice grips .. he had well over 100 that day ... billicheck was SCREAMING at his d coaches and players wanting to know how they couldnt stop him ... THEY NEVER DID THAT DAY ... he was the sole focus of the D ...

THERES LOTS GOING ON HERE that lead to his lack of production ... WITCH there should be a decline ... not in yards per or td’s but in sheer volume ...

This year we have duke and Chubb and even Njoku .. there way better than anything he ever played with in Miami ... WAY BETTER ... and i’d Take Callaway and Higgins and even Perriman over anytime they had when vice grips was there or have now ...

The kids good ... and i say that cause i was fortunate enough to watch every snap he took his first two years and most of the ones he took last year ...

He always and i mean almost every game JUMPED OFF THE TAPE AT ME ...

That’s RARE ... this kid can play ...

And for some reason i can’t let it go ... *L*

Ballpeen #1557611 12/01/18 09:25 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Some people just don't get it. No sense worrying about them. They are lost.

This for sure.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jarvis Landry

Link Copied to Clipboard