Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was more adding to your comment than countering it.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Does McDaniels waiting til Friday show a lack of interest or a lot of interest?

I said earlier in one of these threads that Josh could do like McCarthy did.. Interview with a team or two..and the Last team you interview with is the team that you stay with.

Jmo though

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Its really funny to think Brian Dumboll tricked
Himself into thinking he had a legit shot to be a NFL HC.
Hes only slightly better than Kitchens and thats not saying much

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:
Does McDaniels waiting til Friday show a lack of interest or a lot of interest?

I said earlier in one of these threads that Josh could do like McCarthy did.. Interview with a team or two..and the Last team you interview with is the team that you stay with.

Jmo though

Or he scheduled the Browns for a Friday interview so he could spend the rest of the weekend in town with his family and mull over a decision?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wouldn't be surprised if Daboll becomes a HC at some point.

D
Legend
Legend
D
His folks live in the Canton area, and his wife's parents are in Parma. They probably have plans for family reunions this coming weekend. Maybe even make time to do a walk-thru at Bill Cowher's house in Strongsville - I hear Bill's been trying to sell it for years.

Legend
Legend
J/C ... sports team owners get reputations, for good or not.

The next head coach of the Browns would do well to follow Kyle Shanahan's example, and go for a 7 year deal. I doubt he will get a 10 year deal like Gruden did in Oakland/Vegas .... but if it were me, I would want a deal without offset language. A long term deal with no offset would make it far less palatable for Haslam to fire the next guy after a year or 2.

At some point Haslam has to give a guy a chance to get his program in place, and his players developed. If I were a candidate for this job, I would make sure I had some financial assurances that make it more likely that I can install and develop my program. Unless I get them, I wait for the next opportunity.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

The next head coach of the Browns would do well to follow Kyle Shanahan's example, and go for a 7 year deal. I doubt he will get a 10 year deal like Gruden did in Oakland/Vegas .... but if it were me, I would want a deal without offset language. A long term deal with no offset would make it far less palatable for Haslam to fire the next guy after a year or 2.

At some point Haslam has to give a guy a chance to get his program in place, and his players developed. If I were a candidate for this job, I would make sure I had some financial assurances that make it more likely that I can install and develop my program. Unless I get them, I wait for the next opportunity.

That is one of the reasons I want an experienced coach with a decent record. To get a decent contract, ownership has to be reasonably assured there will be no On The Job Training cluster cluck like Freddie on board. Good Experience = Good Contract

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

At this point, I'm fine with any of McDaniels, Saleh, Stefanski, or Bieniemy. The more I read about Saleh, the more I like him. At this moment, he's my favorite. Tomorrow may be different.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I have been intrigued with Saleh since the announcement of his name being added to the Interview list.

Legend
Legend
I agree. For a change, let's not traffic in "upside," "potential," as we wait for the learning curve to automatically bridge all gaps, fill every shortcoming, as we get the repetitive mantra we have seen. Just too many promises that never got realized.

Pay what you must for a quality proven commodity, not an an oddity for the media storm. I think above average performers will require above average compensation.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I wouldn't be surprised if Daboll becomes a HC at some point.

I know,
6 years ago I wouldn't have wanted Brian Daboll as HC of the Browns,

But I'm thinking, who would be the best coach 4,5, or 6 years from now, that's why for me,

I only think 2 have the chance at stability to keep the job and stick around and actually be really good 5 years from now,

Josh McDaniels, and

Brian Daboll,

But the organization really has to keep a structure around.

And I really don't know anything about any of them.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’m still hoping Belichick will come back, bring a Lombardi to Cleveland.

If nothing else, he would fix our discipline issues. Post-mf-haste.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Mike?

Dave #1718180 01/08/20 02:02 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dave
His folks live in the Canton area, and his wife's parents are in Parma. They probably have plans for family reunions this coming weekend. Maybe even make time to do a walk-thru at Bill Cowher's house in Strongsville - I hear Bill's been trying to sell it for years.

Bill's been asking too much for years. Typical owner that gets emotional and overvalues his home!

Legend
Legend
J/c

I read Rish’s comments about Saleh, and that might make the most sense. He blew us away and we’re doing our due diligence with others

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
If Saleh truly has the "it" factor, and PdP is on board, I'm good with going unknown over Josh. This search, and all of the seemingly good candidates, is really making me wonder why we ever thought Freddie could be the guy. I know hindsight is 20-20, but we basically had Larry the Cable Guy as a head coach. Whether we let Baker assert too much control (which would be ridiculous) or not, that was on Dorsey.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: eotab
Odds are Daboll will be our next HC...

Blech!

And another Blech for Schwartz.

but he fits our body type search for a HC...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1718186 01/08/20 07:39 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I was surprised to read that we are McDaniels dream job I did not know he was a Brown's fan!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
J/c

I prefer an offensive minded coach. I question McDaniel's leadership and discipline capabilities after he backed out of the Colts job.He lost some respect with me even though he might be the best offensive coach available.
Stefanski has a decent career history and carries himself well in interviews. If he can lead and instill discipline I'd be fine with him.
Saleh is a defensive guy. I love his energy which could compliment good leadership & discipline rolls...His offensive people would need to be pretty good.

Legend
Legend
J/C

just to ask a different question: Do we think Freddie gets another job in the NFL next year? Is it just a position coach? Does someone give him a shot at OC again? How about HC?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I cannot see him ever getting an OC job again.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Yeah, I think Freddie's a "one and done" HC. MAYBE OC if he's under a strong HC. That seemed to work well under Williams last year.

As far as "proven" coaches go, they're not unemployed because they did TOO GOOD as a HC.

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 01/08/20 09:49 AM.
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
I think he will, all stadiums need maintenance workers, food vendor, beer sales and ticket taker. He has a lot of opportunity! I wish him well.

Legend
Legend
I think I saw this on TV scrawl this AM early, but not sure I read it right. Is there a window on this search now? It looked like we had stated we wanted to have our HC hire done by Saturday. We seem to have the door wide open now with other hires that time doesn't seem to be an issue for us now. Anybody confirm or deny the Saturday thing? If true, we must be closer than it seems or done. saywhat

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
eotab #1718233 01/08/20 10:27 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I look at Daboll and think of Rob Reiner.

Call him Meathead.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

That is one of the reasons I want an experienced coach with a decent record. To get a decent contract, ownership has to be reasonably assured there will be no On The Job Training cluster cluck like Freddie on board. Good Experience = Good Contract
Cool, who would that be? There is not any available.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Arians will hire him to be running back coach or TE coach.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/C

just to ask a different question: Do we think Freddie gets another job in the NFL next year? Is it just a position coach? Does someone give him a shot at OC again? How about HC?

Maybe not next year. He may want to take a year off. I would.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
brownie

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: The Big G
I cannot see him ever getting an OC job again.

If Shurmer can get another HC job, Freddie can get another OC job.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

Knight_Of_Brown

This whole coaching search should have came down to 5 candidates, FIVE CANDIDATES!

In whatever order you want to rank them:

Mike McCarthy
Josh McDaniels
Urban Meyer
Jim Caldwell
Chuck Pagano

I'm not sure Urban is even considering coaching. He's got a good gig on TV and doesn't have to deal with a bunch of attitudes.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
T
Legend
Legend
T
I just had a Crazy idea but this is the Browns - so Crazy is normal!

Reading up quickly on Brian Daboll, I like the idea of him as a HC more, and wonder if his slow development, if it were all here in Cleveland, would he be a clear next in line to take the role, up through the ranks, kind of situation,

But then, I decided to see if his 4 stints as OC, well how his quick search online would compare to, say, Pat Shurmurs'
you can surmise from that what you will,

But then! I'm crazy, the Browns are cazy, so I had a crazy idea.

Draw a Circle with 3 notches, a Notch for Head coach, Offensive Coordinator, and Tight Ends coach,
Insert Names into the roles
Brian Daboll, Pat Shurmur, and (Rob Chudzinski,or other)(Maybe even Stefanski- why not)

Then, Everytime the team goes 4-12 and the Haslams lose patience

Just Rotate the circle 1 quarter turn, rofl

But Eventually, in 10-12 years, We'd see continuity in Cleveland, by default.

I figure they had the best coaching talent last year (a week before they let Hue go) when they had at least one person waiting in the wings to take over for Hue.

So I surmise they need all the help they can get. thumbsup

C
Legend
Legend
C
J/C

My guess is that he ends up at Alabama in some sort of coaching analyst role.

(Calling someone an "analyst" in college football is how you get someone to coach your team without being a coach.)

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
J/C

(Calling someone an "analyst" in college football is how you get someone to coach your team without being a coach.)

Or Ariens gives him a gig since he won't have to pay him courtesy of Haslam.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
J/C

Definitely a possibility. He needs to find his Marvin Lewis.

P
Legend
Legend
P

That's not how any of this works.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

That's not how any of this works.

The nepotism part or the pay part? The nepotism part is most definitely how this works. The pay part may or may not work the way described above depending on offset language in Kitchens' contract.

Either way, the point still stands. Kitchens going somewhere where he is comfortable is most likely. (And I don't think there is anything wrong with that, it's what I would try to do too.)

C
Legend
Legend
C

P
Legend
Legend
P
The pay part. I think nepotism is a word people throw around loosely however. Having some experience and a feeling of comfort working with someone goes a little further than nepotism.

I mean let's look at it for a moment. In Cleveland we've had the problem of clashes between the FO and coaching for what seems like forever. The rumor is that there was major friction between Monken and Freddie.

So there comes a line which people draw as to whether familiarity and comfort level in working with someone is nepotism, or the desire to have everyone working on the same page.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns HC search

Link Copied to Clipboard