Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Versatile Dog #1775800 07/13/20 03:17 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
First of all, we are not "bros." I don't like you. At all.

Secondly, you think I am a guy who ignores schools? rofl

Finally, you are labeling all police officers as killers and all police departments as corrupt? Where are guys like Pit, 888, OCD, and mac saying it is wrong to label entire groups of people because of the poor actions of a few?

Here's the deal, I don't give a damn about labels for the most part. You are what you are, I am what I am. If a label hurts your feelings, you are weak.

But on the cops funding thing, I don't want police forces destroyed or eliminated altogether! But I don't think police departments need tanks, water canons, drones, etc. until criminals start showing up in tanks...

They are overfunded for the purposes of militarization and being trained like everyday citizens are the enemy of the state. NOPE. Can't back that no matter what you say. Back it all up to Barney Fife and one bullet for all I care until they can figure out how to not shoot people or choke them out for little to nothing. There are MANY more important things that money can go to like education, community revitalization and services, programs for poor kids, etc.

And I consider you a bro no matter what you think of me, even when you sound like a hateful GOPer in your new Trumpian-esque posting persona.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
bonefish #1775877 07/13/20 10:11 PM
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Just to give some perspective
2018 children killed in car accidents ages 0-14: 1208
2020 children ages 0 -14 that died WITH Covid-19 through Jun 17: 26

Given that there have been over 100K deaths from Covid-19, I think that we can conclude at this point that children are remarkably resilient to this virus.

Not trying to say those 26 child deaths don't matter because they do, nor am I saying that COVID is not a big deal to other groups in the population, but we also need to be reasonable about this and realize that life involves many risks from activities such as riding in a car. Education and life experiences are important to children and it is worth the risk to send kids back to school. If a school or city has a flare up, then we should adapt.

s003apr #1775879 07/13/20 10:22 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
As a former teacher, I want to add this to the conversation.

First of all, I am not saying we should re-open the schools. I am undecided on that. I am leaning to not opening them.

However, there are a lot of things to consider. I will name a few that haven't come up during this thread.

--Many two-parent families consist of both parents working full-time jobs. They were freaking out on how to provide child care for their kids while they were working and the schools were closed. That additional expense of hiring child care is a real strain on almost all families and can be downright crippling to lower income families.

--What about all the kids who only have one parent? That parent might be working multiple jobs to make ends meet. What is she going to do if the schools are closed?

--I still work as a tutor and each and every kid I tutor hated the distance-learning. They were actually putting in more time on doing assignments and there were no good times that they got to experience at school.

So, once again............I get that y'all hate Trump and want to bash him over every decision and I get that opening the schools back up might be a really bad idea..........but, there is more to the story than you guys are revealing.

P.S. I feel really, really bad for guys like Rish. He has a special needs child and I an unable to even comprehend the angst he and his family are undergoing right now.

Perhaps it should be a time of compassion, understanding, and cooperation rather than a time of hate, bias, and finger-pointing?

Guys....................this is a real crisis. America has always united when faced w/a crisis. Look at 9/11. We came together. This is a bigger crisis. Stop trying to divide and conquer. Work together. Cooperate. Be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. Please!

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 07/13/20 10:50 PM.
s003apr #1775911 07/14/20 06:34 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
it is worth the risk to send kids back to school.

No, it’s not. Not in large cities and hot areas especially. Pffft trump supporters. Kids bring the virus home to parents, grandparents and others. Stop listening to trump and his death squad. They’ve already helped kill over 130,000 Americans on their watch......trump’s general’s are expert doctors and he doesn’t listen to his own generals. You’re a fool if you listen to trump and what is coming out of the WH.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Versatile Dog #1775913 07/14/20 06:40 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I get that opening the schools back up might be a really bad idea..........but, there is more to the story than you guys are revealing.

What? What exactly aren’t we revealing?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
s003apr #1775924 07/14/20 08:03 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

As I stated each family must measure the risk.

Each school is different. Schools are not WalMart's. Some are in new buildings. Some are in old buildings. Some are in trailers. In some of the cases those buildings would be labeled as "sick buildings." Over 50% of teachers and staff are over 50 years old. 40% of kids who are carriers are asymptomatic. That is a major consideration. Kids are not shoppers. They don't buzz through a large Home Depot type store. Grab a few things and leave. They sit in classrooms for hours with others very close in small rooms. Hallways and stairwells can be cramped. Social distancing may be impossible. Families may have grandparents like myself living with them.

This is not a one size fits all situation.

Some parts of the country are in low risk as far as active infections. Some like Miami are rampant.

Some schools and their districts will approach this differently than others. Some of that may be dependent upon money available.

Interesting that as a country that we can spend all kinds of money. Bail out companies. Spend trillions on the military.

But we can't make schools safe. Won't take the steps necessary to stop school shootings. Threaten school funding if they won't open. Expect teachers to do a difficult job and not pay them appropriately.

Now our children can be used as pawns for politics.

Betsy Devos is a bad joke. She is nothing more than a mouth organ for the administration. She is not an educator. She has no medical background.

And I am expected to listen to her about the safety of my grandchildren and myself?

I. I will look at the facts and decide.

bonefish #1775932 07/14/20 08:52 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
1 in 4 teachers at risk for severe coronavirus infection, report finds

New data suggests 1.47 million education professionals could face serious cases of the virus if schools resume.

Whether or not schools are set to reopen in the fall is still being discussed by many counties, leaving millions of students and academic professionals in an uncertainty-limbo until public health experts make a decision to hold in-person classes or to have students learn remotely.

New data from the Kaiser Family Foundation, however, may guide public health experts to an answer; a new report suggests that approximately 24 percent of teachers are at a greater risk for becoming infected with a serious coronavirus infection.

Put differently, that figures accounts for almost 1.5 million teachers, or roughly 1 in 4.

Multiple factors can make one at risk for a more severe COVID-19 infection that may demand hospitalization or intubation. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) list that older adults and individuals with underlying medical conditions, especially diabetes, obesity, chronic lung, heart or kidney disease, are at an especially high risk.

This data was gathered from a 2018 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS), with a search narrowed to include primary, secondary and special education school teachers who reported having risk factors associated with severe COVID-19 infections.

The numbers underscore just some of the anxieties teachers, students and school employees face as the new academic year approaches and the pandemic shows no signs of dissipating. While children have largely shown strong recoveries from the coronavirus — aside from younger patients who contract a Kawasaki-like disease — an illness that causes inflammation of the blood vessels and typically affects kids younger than 5 years of age— following exposure to the virus, they can act as asymptomatic carriers and transmit the virus to vulnerable relatives or teachers.

“The challenge for school systems and for teachers in particular is the sheer volume of traffic and tight quarters in many school environments, which may make social distancing a significant challenge in many settings,” the report writes. “For higher-risk teachers, failure to achieve safe working conditions could have very serious results.”

This threat affects academic professionals across the gamut, from those working in elementary schools to professors at universities and colleges. It has prompted some to demand masks and social distancing to be mandatory on campus and for in-person classes. Some schools have opted to forgo the forthcoming 2020 semester all together and have students work remotely.

In response, some teachers are choosing early retirement, or leaving the field altogether. Others are not in a financial position to do so, and reluctantly agree to tend to a class during the pandemic.

“How state and local officials balance the desire to reopen schools and other facilities with the need to assure the safety of students, parents, and school personnel will have significant health and economic consequences for both people and the communities they live in,” the report authors conclude. “Assuring the safety of teachers and others at higher risk of serious illness from coronavirus is a crucial part of the calculation around reopening.”

The CDC has issued guidelines for reopening schools safely amid the pandemic.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/wel...ere-coronavirus

OldColdDawg #1776374 07/15/20 05:58 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Milk Man #1776376 07/15/20 06:03 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M

Milk Man #1776378 07/15/20 06:12 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

This is not difficult.

Error on the side of safety.

Each school building and where it is located is different.

Every factor needs to be examined. Infection rates in the area. Ventilation in the school. PPE for teachers. Social distance. We know what needs to be done. Anyone who is considered high risk. Those families with high risk people at home.

Start with a qualified competent Secretary of Education. Instead of a unqualified mouth organ of trump.

Some of what I hear is preposterous and dangerous.

Versatile Dog #1776509 07/16/20 10:52 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P

Guys....................this is a real crisis. America has always united when faced w/a crisis. Look at 9/11. We came together. This is a bigger crisis. Stop trying to divide and conquer. Work together. Cooperate. Be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. Please!

Forward to......

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500

Where it actually means something. That's who is dividing us. Not some guys on a message board.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1776538 07/16/20 01:15 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Forward to......

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500

Where it actually means something. That's who is dividing us. Not some guys on a message board.

Once again, Exactly.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
bonefish #1776612 07/16/20 06:08 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here’s where the day stands so far:

The White House suggested science should not determine whether schools reopen this fall. “The science should not stand in the way of this,” White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said of Trump’s push to reopen schools. She later added, “The science is on our side here.” McEnany’s comments come as a number of school officials express concern about the potential spread of coronavirus in the classroom.

Following White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany’s suggestion that “The science should not stand in the way” of schools reopening, the Democratic National Committee (DNC) issued a scathing statement criticizing the administration’s response to the coronavirus crisis.

“Now the Trump administration wants to further risk the lives of teachers, children, staff, and their families just to soothe the president’s ego,” said Lily Adams, a DNC spokesperson. “This president would rather accept conspiracy theories and reject science than listen to public health experts. He can’t be trusted to make decisions about the lives of America’s children and their families.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live...Ao50-hpGOmIY1e8

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #1776613 07/16/20 06:08 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Last edited by Jester; 07/16/20 06:09 PM.

mgh888 #1776617 07/16/20 06:27 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Maybe ... the thing is the rest of the world is figuring it out. Germany is back to school etc ....

The issue is here in the USA

- we had too many people (led by Trump) who wanted to down play this to begin with so we got more spread.

- we didn't have enough testing so we didn't know how chronic the spread was

- when we did self isolate and try to flatten the curve, we still had yoyo's who didnt believe because they heard Trump say it was a hoax ... we had riots and protests recently that without doubt added to the spread, we had states in denial because they weren't testing and they wanted to say this was a Liberal thing "just look at all the places worst affected, whadda they have in commmon"

- We did begin to flatten the curve - but Trump in a desperate attempt to salvage his election hopes has and is pressurizing everyone to open up too soon.

- So now - instead of being on top and in control, Trump wants to limit testing so the numbers look better and open up. Trouble is we are not at the peak of 'First Wave' yet.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Daily new cases now touching over 60K - highest so far. I stopped paying attention to this for a month or so, but it's relevant again.

Hopefully schools can get it right and put in place controls and testing that will minimize the impact of any cases that show up in staff or students.

Here's my issue with your post in which you reference Trump 4 times...

Florida had a low infection rate from the middle of March to the middle of June.. basically less than 1000 new cases per day FOR 3 MONTHS.. all of this while Cuomo in NY was playing "Bring out your dead" from Monty Python. He's now being heralded as some kind of freaking hero, which boggles my mind. If NY/NJ/CT (the tri-state "plan") was it's own country it would be the 3rd most deadly covid country in the world.. and people are singing his praises.. what a joke.

Maybe red state governors should have done what Cuomo did, let it run rampant, infect as many people as possible, have tens of thousands of deaths, seek help from medical professionals from a bunch of other states to bail you out... then it would run it's course and those of us who are left could all open up.

We were told, back in March, we needed to shut down for TWO WEEKS to flatten the curve.. a lot of the states now getting ridiculed by the left because their cases are rising kept their cases very low and flat for 2-3 MONTHS...

So what is your explanation? How did the "scientists" get everything so freaking wrong at every turn? You can insult Trump all you want but I'm sick and tired of watching red states that had this under control for a LONG TIME now getting hammered.. when the blue states were getting hammered it was all Trumps fault, now it's look at the ignorant red state governors...

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #1776626 07/16/20 07:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Maybe ... the thing is the rest of the world is figuring it out. Germany is back to school etc ....

- we had too many people (led by Trump) who wanted to down play this to begin with so we got more spread.

- when we did self isolate and try to flatten the curve, we still had yoyo's who didnt believe because they heard Trump say it was a hoax ... we had riots and protests recently that without doubt added to the spread, we had states in denial because they weren't testing and they wanted to say this was a Liberal thing "just look at all the places worst affected, whadda they have in commmon"

- We did begin to flatten the curve - but Trump in a desperate attempt to salvage his election hopes has and is pressurizing everyone to open up too soon.

- So now - instead of being on top and in control, Trump wants to limit testing so the numbers look better and open up. Trouble is we are not at the peak of 'First Wave' yet.

Daily new cases now touching over 60K - highest so far. I stopped paying attention to this for a month or so, but it's relevant again.

Hopefully schools can get it right and put in place controls and testing that will minimize the impact of any cases that show up in staff or students.

Florida had a low infection rate from the middle of March to the middle of June.. basically less than 1000 new cases per day FOR 3 MONTHS.. all of this while Cuomo in NY was playing "Bring out your dead" from Monty Python. He's now being heralded as some kind of freaking hero, which boggles my mind. If NY/NJ/CT (the tri-state "plan") was it's own country it would be the 3rd most deadly covid country in the world.. and people are singing his praises.. what a joke.

Maybe red state governors should have done what Cuomo did, let it run rampant, infect as many people as possible, have tens of thousands of deaths, seek help from medical professionals from a bunch of other states to bail you out... then it would run it's course and those of us who are left could all open up.

We were told, back in March, we needed to shut down for TWO WEEKS to flatten the curve.. a lot of the states now getting ridiculed by the left because their cases are rising kept their cases very low and flat for 2-3 MONTHS...

So what is your explanation? How did the "scientists" get everything so freaking wrong at every turn? You can insult Trump all you want but I'm sick and tired of watching red states that had this under control for a LONG TIME now getting hammered.. when the blue states were getting hammered it was all Trumps fault, now it's look at the ignorant red state governors...

???

NYC was under full lock down. and lets be clear here since you are spreading some misinformation:

Cuomo is the GOVERNOR of NY state, NOT the mayor of NYC. and all those cases and deaths happen in NYC, a city with how many millions of people living in close quarters, again?

i have a ton of family in NYC, and they were under lock down. the reason why the city is doing well now is ABSOLUTELY because of the measures Cuomo and the mayor took once we ALL figured out that yes, this virus is a huge threat, and no, trump doesnt have a clue what he's doing.

so its funny how you decided to frame this timeline, seeing as you missed the crucial part with regards to how practically nobody at the FEDERAL level took the virus seriously at first.

especially since...oh, thats right, Trump was busy calling it a hoax made by the democrats to kick him out of office.

^^^^ that happened BEFORE NYC got hammered. so from the very jump, this threat wasnt taken seriously, led by our POTUS, his administration, and congress.

and since you wanna get into red state/blue state trash talking, should i remind you what florida's governor was doing while the cases was picking up in NYC?

dont worry, imma remind you anyway: HE KEPT THE STATE OPEN UNTIL AFTER SPRING BREAK. he put profits over lives. oh look, surprisingly after spring break, cases in florida started rapidly rising.

man, that red state definitely kept them cases low, huh DC?

need i remind you what happened during quarantine?

dont worry, imma remind you anyway: people who closely relate to YOU as a conservative started protesting all over the county.

i cant get my nails done.

i cant get my hair cut.

i cant go to the beach.

storming government buildings with rifles, AS USUAL. and by the way, that happened a good 2-3 weeks before the protest over George Floyd.

YOUR crew started throwing hissy fits cause they were stuck in the house, actually having to spend time with their families for a change.

must have been torture.

scientist didnt get a whole lot wrong. you know what happened? scientist were constantly getting contradicted and trash by none other than President Trump and his cult followers. Fox news was trashing said scientist every chance they got. YOUR people were the ones whining about wearing a mask, not us liberals. YOUR people decided not to listen to the science. YOUR people decided they had enough of quarantine and took Trump over healthcare and virus experts.

and because of that, and now look, because RED states decided they were NOT gonna listen to the scientist, but instead listen to the guy who said.....

its a hoax
its like maybe 2 people
like magic, its gonna go away
the democrats
obama
whine whine whine.

so what happened? those red states, instead of staying under lock down, decided to open those economies back up, led by the same conservatives, LIKE YOU, who came out and said they are willing to put the economy over lives.

Dan Patrick on coronavirus: 'More important things than living'

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tex...things-n1188911

remember that? i do.

so the next time you wanna post trash trump talking points, better get your history straight.

cause your post was straight up Bull.

cant freaking believe you. not even 7 months with this virus and you already pushing revisionist history nonsense around here.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
s003apr #1776710 07/17/20 12:06 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: s003apr

Given that there have been over 100K deaths from Covid-19, I think that we can conclude at this point that children are remarkably resilient to this virus.

Not trying to say those 26 child deaths don't matter because they do, nor am I saying that COVID is not a big deal to other groups in the population, but we also need to be reasonable about this and realize that life involves many risks from activities such as riding in a car. Education and life experiences are important to children and it is worth the risk to send kids back to school. If a school or city has a flare up, then we should adapt.

It's not just the kids themselves though. It's the kids being packed together and then all taking it home with them. If 2 kids in a school is 500 have been exposed, suddenly you have thousands of people in a relatively small area exposed.

Swish #1776728 07/17/20 08:15 AM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Bro, Thanks for posting the facts.

cle23 #1776730 07/17/20 08:25 AM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Originally Posted By: cle23
Originally Posted By: s003apr

It's not just the kids themselves though. It's the kids being packed together and then all taking it home with them. If 2 kids in a school is 500 have been exposed, suddenly you have thousands of people in a relatively small area exposed.

Also......

1. 1 out of 4 teachers are at high risk

2. What happens when a teacher gets it? Where does that ENTIRE classs room of kids go? Now imainge 4-5 kids get it and there are no subsitute teachers, because why would a substitute teacher risk it for pennies? Where do these 120-150 kids go? Pack them all in the lunch room? Increase class room size?

3. Children will bring it home and infect their parents, which will be disatrous.

4. Isreal currently trying this and they are back sliding.

Two weeks after Israel fully reopened schools, a COVID-19 outbreak sweeping through classrooms — including at least 130 cases at a single school — has led officials to close dozens of schools where students and staff were infected. A new policy orders any school where a virus case emerges to close.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus...-are-discovered

Lurker #1776732 07/17/20 08:28 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you and the fact that many of the kids will be asymptomatic makes it even scarier.

Swish #1776743 07/17/20 09:20 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Cuomo, in the beginning, was opposed to travel bans and shutting down his state. When things got out of control, he reacted (too late to save lives, though). Holding him up as some hero because he reacted like you would a normal human being would as things were falling apart around him is a little silly, imo.

He dropped the ball... not as bad as Trump did/is, but that doesn't make him worthy of praise.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Swish #1776745 07/17/20 09:31 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Swish
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

???

NYC was under full lock down. and lets be clear here since you are spreading some misinformation:

Cuomo is the GOVERNOR of NY state, NOT the mayor of NYC. and all those cases and deaths happen in NYC, a city with how many millions of people living in close quarters, again?

i have a ton of family in NYC, and they were under lock down. the reason why the city is doing well now is ABSOLUTELY because of the measures Cuomo and the mayor took once we ALL figured out that yes, this virus is a huge threat, and no, trump doesnt have a clue what he's doing.

so its funny how you decided to frame this timeline, seeing as you missed the crucial part with regards to how practically nobody at the FEDERAL level took the virus seriously at first.

especially since...oh, thats right, Trump was busy calling it a hoax made by the democrats to kick him out of office.

^^^^ that happened BEFORE NYC got hammered. so from the very jump, this threat wasnt taken seriously, led by our POTUS, his administration, and congress.

and since you wanna get into red state/blue state trash talking, should i remind you what florida's governor was doing while the cases was picking up in NYC?

dont worry, imma remind you anyway: HE KEPT THE STATE OPEN UNTIL AFTER SPRING BREAK. he put profits over lives. oh look, surprisingly after spring break, cases in florida started rapidly rising.

man, that red state definitely kept them cases low, huh DC?

dont worry, imma remind you anyway: people who closely relate to YOU as a conservative started protesting all over the county.

i cant get my hair cut.

i cant go to the beach.

storming government buildings with rifles, AS USUAL. and by the way, that happened a good 2-3 weeks before the protest over George Floyd.

YOUR crew started throwing hissy fits cause they were stuck in the house, actually having to spend time with their families for a change.

must have been torture.

scientist didnt get a whole lot wrong. you know what happened? scientist were constantly getting contradicted and trash by none other than President Trump and his cult followers. Fox news was trashing said scientist every chance they got. YOUR people were the ones whining about wearing a mask, not us liberals. YOUR people decided not to listen to the science. YOUR people decided they had enough of quarantine and took Trump over healthcare and virus experts.

and because of that, and now look, because RED states decided they were NOT gonna listen to the scientist, but instead listen to the guy who said.....

its a hoax
its like maybe 2 people
like magic, its gonna go away
the democrats
obama
whine whine whine.

so what happened? those red states, instead of staying under lock down, decided to open those economies back up, led by the same conservatives, LIKE YOU, who came out and said they are willing to put the economy over lives.

Dan Patrick on coronavirus: 'More important things than living'

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tex...things-n1188911

remember that? i do.

so the next time you wanna post trash trump talking points, better get your history straight.

cause your post was straight up Bull.

cant freaking believe you. not even 7 months with this virus and you already pushing revisionist history nonsense around here.

Quoted for emphasis. I'll add that the 4 times I mentioned Trump in my post, each time it was in reverence to something that was factual with one sentence that was opinion.

He did downplay the virus. His supporters still repeat that CV19 is a hoax. He has stated that we should reduce testing and that we only have so many cases because we test so much .... Personally I'll stand by my opinion that Trump is pushing hard to get back to normal and open everything up because he thinks it's his only chance at reelection.

Other than to post some truly stupid comments, I haven't commented on individual city Mayors or Governors because none of them carry the same national influence as Trump.

Comparing NYC with it's high density, huge population and 3 enormous international airports that are gateways to the USA for an enormous number of world traveler ... To FL ? That doesn't seem to be a fair or equitable comparison, and I've never praised Cuomo or commented on him. Friends in Brooklyn felt he did a lot of good things but beyond that idk.

The virus was never Trump's fault. His reaction to it and the tone he sets to all his supporters he owns 100%.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
oobernoober #1776746 07/17/20 09:37 AM
Legend
Legend
Sorry but not too many people are calling him a hero, on his own merits anyway.

The problem is that he looks like a hero compared to the guy RUNNING THE COUNTRY.

I will admit, that’s not exactly a high bar to clear. However, it be like that sometimes. Oh well.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
oobernoober #1776755 07/17/20 10:11 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't know a single progressive that has called Cuomo a hero... I think you guys are watching too much MSNBC and CNN. That's the only people I know treating Cuomo like he handled things well. I think the difference is Cuomo was fairly straight forward with the public in making his decisions. Trump most certainly was not.

Swish #1776779 07/17/20 11:16 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Here's what's hilarious about the entire thing. In the beginning of this thing, very little was known about the virus. As time went on more and more information became available. The CDC set guidelines accordingly that for a state to reopen you needed 14 days of decline in cases. Then you only went up in reopening levels after 14 more days of decline and so on.

Trump came out and told everyone to open up before they met these guidelines. Governors of Republican states especially new if they didn't they would reap the wrath of Trump. So they chose Trump over the CDC.

And now you see what we have now. While Trump undermines every health experts advice, they death count goes up. As he threatens to cut off funding to schools if they don't open up, the body count rises.

If anybody really thought about it... Remember when he said he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose a vote?

What he's doing now would make that look like a misdemeanor.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1776780 07/17/20 11:19 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

31% of children tested for COVID-19 in Florida have been positive, state data shows

ORLANDO, Fla. —

State data shows that approximately one-third of the people under the age of 18 tested for COVID-19 in Florida have been positive.

According to state data released last Friday, Florida has tested 54,022 Florida residents under the age of 18. Of those tests, 16,797, which is just over 31%, have come back positive. The positivity rate for Florida's entire population stands at roughly 11%.

Florida has tested a total of 2,737,169 people, meaning that roughly 2% of the people tested in the state have been under 18.

The data shows that 908 people under the age of 18 have tested positive for coronavirus in Orange County, which equates to about 24% of the tests conducted on children in the county.

Orange County’s total pediatric cases are eclipsed in Florida only by Broward, Dade and Palm Beach counties.

Seminole County has seen 218 people under the age of 18 test positive, which is about 20% of the people under 18 tested. Osceola County has 257 positive pediatric tests and a pediatric patient positivity rate of 29%.

Of the pediatric cases in Florida, just about 1% have been hospitalized. Florida has reported four deaths of people under the age of 18.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has been pushing for Florida schools to reopen next month.

DeSantis said earlier this month that it’s not only a matter of getting a child the education they deserve, but making sure they have the social experience of classmates and extra-curricular activities.

“We need to give them the opportunity to go in person,” DeSantis said during a July 10 event in Jacksonville.

The governor added that if his kids were old enough to attend K-12 school he wouldn’t hesitate to send them, saying the risk for kids is “extremely, extremely low.”

https://www.wesh.com/article/spreading-l...f-love/33344149

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1776807 07/17/20 01:32 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Here's what's hilarious about the entire thing. In the beginning of this thing, very little was known about the virus. As time went on more and more information became available. The CDC set guidelines accordingly that for a state to reopen you needed 14 days of decline in cases. Then you only went up in reopening levels after 14 more days of decline and so on.

Trump came out and told everyone to open up before they met these guidelines. Governors of Republican states especially new if they didn't they would reap the wrath of Trump. So they chose Trump over the CDC.

QFT

Shocking. No one followed the CDCs advice but now the White House and Trump are trying to use CDC as a scapegoat. . . I actually wrote that in a post about 2 weeks ago. I guess not a very bild claim since Trump blames everyone else while taking no responsibility

Swish #1776809 07/17/20 01:59 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm aware but in general people aren't running around touting what a great job DeBlasio did...

But your point is that I can't fault the governor of NY for what happened because he's not the mayor of NYC but it's legit to fault the President who is not even directly responsible for any cities or states?

This is from March 11...

Quote:
People should still be going out to eat at restaurants, Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a press conference about the new coronavirus on Wednesday — emphasizing that the virus “does not transmit through food and drink.”

A week into the first confirmed COVID-19 cases in New York City, restaurateurs across the city say they’re already seeing reservation cancellations, while four huge dim sum restaurants in Sunset Park have closed in response to dropping sales as more people limit public outings.

In response to a question about how the city would help curb the economic impact, the mayor mentioned new no-interest loans for small businesses that experience a 25 percent decline or more due to new coronavirus. He also said that they’re “telling people to not avoid restaurants, not avoid normal things that people do.”

“If you’re not sick, you should be going about your life,” the mayor said.

Governor Cuomo on March 17
Quote:
Washington (CNN)New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo dismissed the possibility of an imminent shelter in place order Tuesday night after New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio urged New Yorkers to prepare for the measure.

"My job is to make sure that the state has a coordinated plan and it works everywhere. I don't think shelter in place really works for one locality," Cuomo, a Democrat, told CNN's Jake Tapper.
"I'm a New York City boy, born and raised if you can't tell, and we're very good at getting around the rules. You say shelter in place if you stay in New York City, I'll go stay with my sister in Westchester, right? I'll go stay with a buddy in the neighboring suburb of Nassau," he continued. "So I don't think you can really do a policy like that just in one part of the state. So I don't think it works."
"As a matter of fact, I'm going so far that I don't even think you can do a state-wide policy."

Three days later, when cases had gone from 200/day to over 3000/day, he issued the stay at home order...

Two weeks later, NY started seeing cases in the 9,000-10,000 per day range for a while...

From May 22
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — More than 4,500 recovering coronavirus patients were sent to New York’s already vulnerable nursing homes under a controversial state directive that was ultimately scrapped amid criticisms it was accelerating the nation’s deadliest outbreaks, according to a count by The Associated Press.

AP compiled its own tally to find out how many COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals to nursing homes under the March 25 directive after New York’s Health Department declined to release its internal survey conducted two weeks ago. It says it is still verifying data that was incomplete.

Whatever the full number, nursing home administrators, residents’ advocates and relatives say it has added up to a big and indefensible problem for facilities that even Gov. Andrew Cuomo — the main proponent of the policy — called “the optimum feeding ground for this virus.”

Quote:

Yes, after spring break cases spiked in Florida... 12 weeks after spring break. That's one helluva a incubation period.

And who was travelling for spring break to Florida? Probably a bunch of old, white haired, Christian folk... or maybe a bunch of young, know-it-all, science loving, Trump hating college students.. I will have to look that up and get back to you.

Quote:

i cant get my hair cut.

i cant go to the beach.

must have been torture.

You can bash Trump and "MY" people all you want. I thought their protests were stupid then and I think they are stupid now.

But if you think I'm going to sit here silent while folks, with the help of completely biased media accounts blast the stupidity of Trump and red state governors, while bending over backwards to find excuses for blue state governors, which account for far more cases and deaths.. then you are wrong.

Quote:

How f'ing long was a state supposed to stay under lockdown when they had low/flat cases for months? Serious question.. we were told back in march TWO WEEKS to get the thing under control.. about 45 states had it under control for those two weeks while it raged in just a few.. some states kept it low for months yet were continually told, you need to stay locked down. WHY?

Read a study the other day that the countries that are still struggling to get the virus under control share a common theme.. they also rank very low in surveys of how much the people trust their government. so we have the dynamic in this country right now of a lot of people who just generally don't trust the government.. and a lot of people who just don't like or trust Trump... so basically nobody at this point trusts the federal government. So cases in the US rage on with other countries, like Brazil and India and South Africa...

that's the level we are on.... Trump owns a fair share of that blame as do the governors who have followed his lead... but he doesn't own much blame at all for NY/NJ contribution to the death toll..

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #1776811 07/17/20 02:10 PM
Legend
Legend
other than MAYBE texas and florida, how many red states have a population density of NYC/NJ?

its easy to keep rates low when nobody lives there. that point you're trying to make just doesnt hold water, no matter how you try to frame it.

again, i said that the entire government didnt take this seriously at first. but i can credibly claim -and have- that nobody took it seriously because the people running the country didnt take it seriously.

and since you're a believer in trickle down economics, happy birthday; welcome to trickle down leadership.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1776819 07/17/20 02:42 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
other than MAYBE texas and florida, how many red states have a population density of NYC/NJ?

In the early days of this I was getting data from worldometer and copying it into my own spreadsheet where I had inserted other information, population, population density, a variety of other things were being calculated and graphed... daily.

Population density isn't even a state level thing, it's a comparison of urban area to urban area and in a lot of cases, urban area specific information was very hard to find.

NY/NJ had a lot of cards stacked against them in the deck... population density is one, the number of international travellers who travelled to/and through NY/NJ is also extremely high. What are the major ports of entry for foreign travellers in the US? NY/NJ, Atlanta on the east cost... LA and San Fran on the west coast? Then other major cities have some share of the rest..

From the very beginning I've felt horrible for what happened in NY/NJ.. I was very proud when other states like Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina (probably others) were sending healthcare workers into NYC to help with the incredible case load.. I am genuinely very glad they got it under control (hope it stays that way)..

It wasn't until I started noticing that Chris Cuomo (the Governors brother) was having him on CNN to interview him almost every day, lobbing him softball questions so they could tout what a great job he was doing, even as 600-700 people per day were dying in NY.. then he started getting these national accolades for what he was doing.. that's when I was like "Wait a minute".. the dude royally screwed this up in the beginning and it's never getting mentioned.. so yea, I got a real problem with the accuracy of reporting on what the guy really did..

The countries who handled this best handled it from a national level instead of letting 50 governors and 200 mayors make up the rules for themselves as they went along, fighting with each other every step of the way. I'm a big states rights guy, I'm sure you know that... but this whole event called for stable and responsible leadership from the top to coordinate a unified plan that took the appropriate measures in NY/NJ while allowing SD/ND to do something else but the plan needed to be well coordinated and it wasn't.

Trump supporters are nothing if not devoutly loyal to Trump. If Trump had come out in early March and said "The big ones coming, protect yourselves and your family by staying isolated"... if he had said that, a lot of his supporters would still be in their homemade bunkers eating the rations they have been saving for years...

The interesting hypothetical for me is, if Trump would have done the right thing and expressed urgency as far back as March... I wonder what the Dems would have done? They weren't going to agree with him and run the risk of actually making him look like he was doing the right thing.. they would have still had to find fault with anything and everything he said.. the only real data point we have is back on January 31 when Trump declared coronavirus a public health emergency and restricted travel from China... the dems promptly called him a racist and said this was fear mongering and overreaction... Had he maintained that stance rather backing up into the "it's a hoax" posture, I'm curious what the Dems would have done.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #1776826 07/17/20 03:03 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
How much was known about the virus in March and even in May compared to how much is known about it now? You seem to think some people should have had crystal balls while there are currently others denying and acting opposite to the things that are now known.

There's a difference even though you seem to have ignored that part of things to this point.

#gmstrong
DCDAWGFAN #1776829 07/17/20 03:09 PM
Legend
Legend
bro but you're missing so much context, so imma try to address different aspect of your response point by point....

i will give you this: it was getting pretty brown-nosey with cnn and msnbc as it relates to Cuomo.

but what was happening simultaneously? Trump and Fox news (ya know the #1 network in America), was trashing Cuomo and NYC every chance they got. threatened to pull funding and recourses because apparently they werent being respectful? remember that?

so putting up Cuomo on a pedestal seemed like a counter action to the Commander-in-tweet waging war against everything liberal and related to the virus.

im glad you brought up the travel aspect. because despite the initial fake outrage from the democrats, i agreed with trump on banning travel coming in from China.

here's the issue with that, though, and why Trump caught even more heat for it:

NYC and those cases came from Europe, not china. and look how slow Trump was to put a travel ban on Europe, SPECIFICALLY The UK. even when he did decide to place the EU on a TB, he tried to leave out the UK from that list.

so even if i give trump the benefit of the doubt, i cant credibly argue against those calling the policy racist, cause he banned some asians and didnt ban any white people.

^^^ i mean...come on bro. even you gotta admit that looks pretty shady...

as i told Erik, whatever the Dems MIGHT have done/said is irrelevant. as POTUS, trump is suppose to make the hard decisions, even when they arent popular, even if he gets pushback from it.

every single president prior to him has done exactly that. sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt.

but isnt that the problem with electing a reality tv personality as POTUS?

people have to start making up hypotheticals and spin jobs to counter the FACT that Trump simply doesn't know what he's doing. i mean for god's sake DC, obama left this dude a playbook he couldve followed.

it went from "no he didnt" to "it wasnt good enough". i forgot what the next lie was after that, seeing as i just cant keep up with all of them.

As i've stated plenty of times on this board: Trump isn't responsible for COVID, but he's absolutely responsible for the response.

- Theodore Roosevelt
PitDAWG #1776833 07/17/20 03:41 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
How much was known about the virus in March and even in May compared to how much is known about it now? You seem to think some people should have had crystal balls while there are currently others denying and acting opposite to the things that are now known.

There's a difference even though you seem to have ignored that part of things to this point.

Even though one is obviously more egregious than the other, if you're going to Monday morning QB Trump's early responses, you gotta also do the same for Cuomo.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1776854 07/17/20 05:47 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Comparing Trump and Cuomo

Did both make what they think were the best decisions possible with the information that was available at that time? Yes

Did both make mistakes in their decisions? - Yes

Here is where the difference comes.

Cuomo realized he made some mistakes and adjusted the game plan resulting in a significant reduction of cases.

Trump refuses to acknowledge any errors in judgement. Instead of correcting his mistakes he continues to profess them as the answers. Result? Those states like Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California that followed him are now feeling the repercussions.

JMO

bonefish #1776862 07/17/20 07:32 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
J/c

So the White House is blocking the CDC from testifying next week regarding school reopenings.... Yay transparency. Yay utilizing experts in their field to provide insight and knowledge.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/17/politics/white-house-cdc-house-testimony-schools/index.html

bonefish #1776863 07/17/20 07:32 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
J/c

So the White House is blocking the CDC from testifying next week regarding school reopenings.... Yay transparency. Yay utilizing experts in their field to provide insight and knowledge.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/17/politics/white-house-cdc-house-testimony-schools/index.html

oobernoober #1776996 07/18/20 12:18 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Even though one is obviously more egregious than the other, if you're going to Monday morning QB Trump's early responses, you gotta also do the same for Cuomo.

My point was his current response. Nothing has really changed in his response from day 1. He has given no direction to the country. He also ignored some very obvious steps along the way.

It's all been gone over time and time again.

#gmstrong
mgh888 #1776997 07/18/20 12:21 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
When you're obviously lying about a national emergency on daily basis, that's a hard thing to hide when the evidence of your lies can be seen by the entire nation.

You would think the common sense measure to take would be to stop lying about it. To do the right thing. But not Trump. His answer is to hide the evidence so it will be harder to prove his lies.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1777144 07/19/20 01:35 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Speaking of schools. Here is something I believe everyone should think about.

The Republican convention will be held next month in Jacksonville Florida. When it was first planned, all of the events were to be held indoors. Since that time they have moved many events outside because of the dangers connected to Covid 19.

Then Trump demands your children all attend schools indoors.

Please let that sink in for just a moment.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1777243 07/20/20 06:51 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Balancing Act: 'Hardly any kids get COVID.' One dad's viral Facebook post brilliantly captures the bind parents are in over remote vs. in-person school
Chicago Tribune
Heidi Stevens, Chicago Tribune
,Chicago Tribune•July 20, 2020

Balancing Act: 'Hardly any kids get COVID.' One dad's viral Facebook post brilliantly captures the bind parents are in over remote vs. in-person school

CHICAGO — As school districts around the country roll out their plans for fall, many parents are tasked with choosing between 100% remote learning or a hybrid model that combines remote learning with a staggered in-person schedule.

On Friday, Chicago Public Schools announced a plan that calls for most students to attend school two days per week and learn from home the rest of the time. Families can decline in-person learning and opt for 100% online instruction if they prefer.

In Naperville District 203 and Indian Prairie District 204, parents can choose between an online academy or an option that has kids in school part-time.

Similar scenarios are playing out across the country.

It’s all a bit of a nightmare, and one that could have been avoided if we had a president who took the coronavirus seriously in January and instituted national guidelines for curbing its spread, along with ample testing and contact tracing.

But here we are, weighing expert guidance from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine that emphasizes the benefits of in-person learning against the very real concerns about exposing children and their teachers and families to a deadly virus.

Joe Morice, a dad in Fairfax County, Virginia, posted a thoughtful treatise on Facebook last week, five days before the deadline for parents in his district to choose which model their kids would be learning under for the fall.

“Like all of you, I’ve seen my feed become a flood of anxiety and faux expertise,” Morice wrote. “You’ll get no presumption of expertise here.”

Morice wrote as a parent leaning toward sending his kids to school part-time, but having reservations. He listed a handful of arguments he’s hearing in favor of sending kids back to classrooms, along with his reasons for remaining skeptical of each one.

His post has been shared 22,000 times.

It struck a nerve, I think, because it gets at some of the nuances that all the expert advice, important as it is, doesn’t quite capture. Some of the highlights:

Argument: “My kids want to go back to school.”

“I believe what the kids desire is more abstract,” Morice wrote. “I believe what they want is a return to normalcy. They want their idea of yesterday. And yesterday isn’t on the menu.”

Argument: “I want my child in school so they can socialize.”

“This was the principle reason for our 2 days decision. As I think more on it though, what do we think ‘social’ will look like? There aren’t going to be any lunch table groups, any lockers, any recess games, any study halls, any sitting next to friends, any talking to people in the hallway, any dances. All of that is off the menu. So, when we say that we want the kids to benefit from the social experience, what are we deluding ourselves into thinking in-building socialization will actually look like in the fall?”

Argument: “My kid is going to be left behind.”

“Left behind who? The entire country is grappling with the same issue, leaving all children in the same quagmire. Who exactly would they be behind? I believe the rhetorical answer to that is ‘They’ll be behind where they should be,’ to which I’ll counter that ‘where they should be’ is a fictional goal post that we as a society have taken as gospel because it maps to standardized tests which are used to grade schools and counties as they chase funding.”

Argument: “Hardly any kids get COVID.”

“Yes, that is statistically true as of this writing,” Morice wrote. “But it is a cherry-picked argument because you’re leaving out an important piece. One can reasonably argue that, due to the school closures in March, children have had the least exposure to COVID. In other words, closing schools was the one pandemic mitigation action we took that worked. There can be no discussion of the rate of diagnosis within children without also acknowledging they were among our fastest and most quarantined people.”

Argument: “I’m not going to live my life in fear.”

“You already live your life in fear. For your health, your family’s health, your job, your retirement, terrorists, extremists, one political party or the other being in power, the new neighbors, an unexpected home repair, the next sunrise. What you meant to say was, ‘I’m not prepared to add ANOTHER fear,’ and I’ve got news for you: That ship has sailed. It’s too late.

“Fear,” Morice continued, “is the reason you wait up when your kids stay out late, it’s the reason you tell your kids not to dive in the shallow water, to look both ways before crossing the road. Fear is the respect for the wide world that we teach our children. Except in this instance, for reasons no one has been able to explain to me yet.”

Every family brings its own needs and risk factors and economic realities and unique situations to this tremendously complicated decision. But I like Morice’s words and wanted to share them because they’re practical without being emotionless, frustrated without being resigned, empowering without being admonishing.

A tough balance, but one that feels like a lifeline for those of us in the thick of these decisions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/balancing-act-hardly-kids-covid-093000119.html

Last edited by Jester; 07/20/20 06:51 AM.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Schools

Link Copied to Clipboard