Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
We have to consider that in the past 2 weeks, only one of the teams we needed to lose did so (Raiders).

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
So, we have to WIN against NYJ ... and just have ONE of these teams lose?

Dolphins
Colts
Titans
Ravens

Beautiful

NO! OOPS! I've believed that but I was wrong and this is wrong. Just found a scenario if the only loss,
(the most likely, is the Titans losing to the Packers, ) then the Browns still need to beat the Steelers to get in.

If the, Colts win out, Ravens win out, and Dolphins win out, and Titans only loss is to the Packers,
and the Browns are 11-5 losing to the Steelers, the Browns are eliminated. Here is how.

Chiefs, Stillers, Bills, get the first 3 divisions,
and in this case the "Colts" grab the AFC South at 12-4

then a 4 way tie at 11-5, remove the Browns first, (3rd in division vs 2nd for all others)
A 3 way tie of the Dolphins, Ravens and Titans plays out as,
Ravens removed 7-5 conf rec. vs others 8-4
Tenn. beats Miami 1 v 1 in a 4-1 vs 3-2 common games rec.

So Tennessee gets the spot,
then
Miami gets the spot 8-4 afc vs 7-5 afc
then
the final spot is between Browns vs Ravens.
Ravens get final spot. (2-0 head to head)

So Colts have to lose, or Dolphins, for the Browns to clinch vs the Jets, (unless maybe the Titans lose twice)

And the Ravens could just lose to the Giants or Bengals,

So in the last hour I learned the Titans losing to Green Bay I was counting on as the most likely to happen, really doesn't help. frown

Still good news, if the Browns win all 2, including the home game vs the steelers, then they are in, nothing else matters.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 12/21/20 08:28 AM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Colts play the Steelers next week and I doubt they win that. The Dolphins play the Raiders and the Bills. Between those three games one of those teams should lose, but as you said beat the Jets and Steelers and it doesn't matter.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
This team needs to beat the stoolers to be a legit playoff team.

Period.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
The Steelers have nothing to play for against the Colts, they may even play poorly on purpose so they can have a chance the next week to knock the Browns 11-4 (if they beat the jets) , out of the playoffs before they start.

The Dolphins are playing fantastic football at the moment and the Raiders' if they try and send out Mariotta, well Mariotta sucks more than Glennon or Minshew, and half as much as Finley.

Then, in week 17, the Bills won't have anything to play for, so the Dolphins are in.

I dont' make sports bets, but if you know someone who does, then make a quick buck, bet a straight up Browns miss the playoffs this year, and collect in a couple weeks.

It took me a while to find out how, but now that I know it's possible I'm pretty sure the league would orchestrate events to,

well, look at the Ravens' postponement of season for covid? As soon as I saw Lamar Jackson back for the Cowboy game I knew the Browns aren't making the playoffs, just hadn't figured out the path.

If it can happen, it will, only in Cleveland.

11-5, 6 games over 500,
Swept the entire AFC South,
2 AFC south teams will get in, but the Browns will be out.

Gosh the East Coasters hate Ohio sports.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
The Steelers have nothing to play for against the Colts, they may even play poorly on purpose so they can have a chance the next week to knock the Browns 11-4 (if they beat the jets) , out of the playoffs before they start.

willynilly

Seriously. Is there a person on the planet that actually believes this?

I dont' make sports bets, but if you know someone who does, then make a quick buck, bet a straight up Browns miss the playoffs this year, and collect in a couple weeks.

willynilly

Your own damn website you quoted said BEFORE we beat the Giants - we had a 10% chance of missing the playoffs.

Your over reaction kneejerk hyperbole is truly exhausting. I think we need a new Forum. "Wild and Crazy Speculative Thoughts" .... That'd help clear out much of the PP stuff too at the moment.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Last week the Browns missed the chance to put the Ravens beneath them for this entire figuring out of the playoffs seedings scenario for this year. Instead the Browns are looking up at the Ravens for the remainder of it.
Given their likely pummeling of the Jags, Giants, and bengals, of course.

We are not looking up at them, we just have to win, we control our destiny and will finish ahead of them if we do.

I wanted to beat the Ravens not just to greatly improve our playoff chances but to also solidify our standing in the division AND to hopefully knock them out of the playoffs.

yebat' Putin
All Pro
All Pro
Thought we already covered this. smile

The 3rd place poison pill only effects the Browns if it's the Titans.

IE: we need to win one more (preferably next week) and either the Dolphins, Ravens or Colts have to lose one (also preferably next week in case we need to rest some guys in week 17).

Y'all are over-complicating this. smile

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Y'all are over-complicating this.

Well then it's a good thing we have you and TL here to straighten us out.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-can-clinch-playoff-spot-with-week-16-win-and-some-help

Here's what needs to happen: The Browns CLINCH with a WIN over the Jets AND

Miami Dolphins LOSS or TIE to Las Vegas Raiders OR
Baltimore Ravens LOSS or TIE to New York Giants OR
Indianapolis Colts LOSS to Pittsburgh Steelers

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Legend
Legend

What would you do in this hypothetical Browns playoff scenario?
This is a purely fun & hypothetical scenario.

By Chris Pokorny
https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/12/21...layoff-scenario

Despite defeating the New York Giants last night, the Cleveland Browns still don’t have a playoff spot locked up — they need to take care of business against the New York Jets. In a worst-case scenario, they’d even have to defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 17 to make it.

Hopefully it doesn’t get to that point — the Browns’ easiest path to a playoff spot would be a win over the Jets next week, combined with a loss by either the Miami Dolphins (against the Las Vegas Raiders) or the Indianapolis Colts (to the Pittsburgh Steelers).

With that said, it’s rare we get to look at crazy playoff scenarios, so let’s take a look at one before we know the outcome of tonight’s Steelers-Bengals game, and I’m curious what you would do if you were in Kevin Stefanski’s shoes.

Hypothetical Scenario
Let’s say the Ravens, Colts, Titans, and Dolphins all finish the season 2-0.

Then, let’s also say the Steelers lose against the Bengals and Colts, while the Browns beat the Jets. That would set up the following scenario in Week 17, in a game that would probably be flexed to Sunday Night Football in this scenario:

What are the stakes in this scenario?
If the Browns beat the Steelers, then Cleveland would win the division (Pittsburgh would be a wildcard).
If the Browns tie the Steelers, then Cleveland would secure a wildcard spot.
If the Browns lose to the Steelers, then Cleveland would miss the playoffs.
What Would You Do?
Let’s say the Browns and Steelers were tied 20-20 at the end of regulation, and the game goes to overtime. Cleveland’s defense comes up with a stop, and Pittsburgh punts the ball away to Cleveland with 2:00 left to go in overtime. In this scenario, Pittsburgh has no timeouts remaining.

If the Browns run some kneeldowns, they are guaranteed a playoff spot.

Or, they could be aggressive and try to move the ball in range for a field goal (or touchdown). But we know how dangerous Pittsburgh’s defense can be, and they aren’t going to sit back and do nothing — they don’t want to lose the AFC North. If the Browns turn it over, then Pittsburgh could kick a field goal to eliminate the Browns’ playoff chances.

There you have it, Browns fans — let us know in the poll and the comments section below what you would do!

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 12/21/20 04:20 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: myka
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Pats were already eliminated.

So if we beat the dog-ass Jets, does anyone know who we need to lose, to clinch a playoff spot?

Titans, Colts, Dolphins or Ravens. Any loss puts us in playoffs. In fact, with a win against the Jets, those four teams would have to go 8-0 the next two weeks to eliminate us if we lose to the Steelers.

Ugh, I hate that there's even a chance cuz of the Refs ruining the MNF game. I know I nkow we won tonight just enjoy it, keep trying to go 1-0 but I'm still so annoyed lol

Fuhgettaboutit.

Dolphins face an angry Vegas team
Giants win or go home vs Ravens
Tennessee heading to Green Bay
Indy in Pittsburgh to face the Steelers

At least one of those teams is losing this week.

We still need to beat the Jets or the Steelers tho

And it would just be SO Browns/Jets to ruin both our seasons in 1 game.

Legend
Legend
"You play. To win. The game".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
In that scenario I’m handing it off to Chubb and Hunt ... and gauging what happens.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
I don't root for the Indiana Hoosiers when I watch college football, because the Indiana Hoosiers college football program is a stupid program at a school known for Basketball in sports, not football.

The Indiana Hoosiers, are not taken seriously as a college football program around the rest of college football.

Year after year the Indiana Hoosiers cfp program is only suiting up so that better programs like the Buckeyes, Wolverines, and PSU, have someone to win against.

And apparently I heard the New years day bowls don't want anything to do with the Indiana Hoosiers football this year, even if they've earned a spot.

------

The Browns will miss the playoffs. It's already done.

It was done when they gave the Ravens a 4 week break in the middle of the season because they can't be bothered to play backup QB's.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
j/c https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-can-clinch-playoff-spot-with-week-16-win-and-some-help

"abbra cadabra" Browns miss the playoffs. frown

Giants don't belong on the field. L Jackson runs for more td's than they scored all year, 14-2 last year.

Raiders backup, Marcus Mariotta can't beat a piggy bank if he's holding a hammer! (interceptions)

and Steelers don't want to beat the Colts, they have their division spot locked up, and can knock the Browns out of the playoffs next week which is more fun.

So the Steelers can take a dive vs the colts.

( then, Either, Browns beat steelers, which they've done 3 times in the last 38 tries,) or
" Abbra Cadabra" Browns miss the playoffs.

(Ravens game didn't matter?)
(If the Browns had beaten the Ravens on MNF, the Browns would have already clinched a wild card spot!) thumbsup

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

"abbra cadabra" Browns miss the playoffs. frown

Giants don't belong on the field. L Jackson runs for more td's than they scored all year, 14-2 last year.

Raiders backup, Marcus Mariotta can't beat a piggy bank if he's holding a hammer! (interceptions)

and Steelers don't want to beat the Colts, they have their division spot locked up, and can knock the Browns out of the playoffs next week which is more fun.

So the Steelers can take a dive vs the colts.

( then, Either, Browns beat steelers, which they've done 3 times in the last 38 tries,) or
" Abbra Cadabra" Browns miss the playoffs.

(Ravens game didn't matter?)
(If the Browns had beaten the Ravens on MNF, the Browns would have already clinched a wild card spot!) thumbsup

Did I miss something? Is Derek carr out? Did he get hurt?

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
He pulled a groin muscle last week.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Also what if the titans lose to greenbay?

If the colts, ravens, dolphins and titans all win out then we dont make the playoffs correct?

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
Only if we lose and they all win

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
He pulled a groin muscle last week.

Has he already been ruled out this week?

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
If are chances of making the playoffs are so low then why does espn keep saying we have a 90% chance of making it?

Legend
Legend
Not to my knowledge. You got to take Throw Long with a grain of salt.

#gmstrong
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
The Steelers could still get the number 1 seed and a first round bye (provided they win tonight). I do not think they roll over for the Colts.

Legend
Legend
Been saying for 2 weeks to stop assuming a loss to the Steelers. Anybody seen anything tonight that leads you to believe they aren't beatable.

yebat' Putin
L
Rookie
Rookie
L
[quote=Dawgs4Life] ....
edit: Shoot! I may be wrong about the steelers, (the only way I'm wrong about the steelers is if they actually lose to the bengals. If so, Wake me when the Bengals actually upset the Steelers)

Heh you still sleeping? wink

Even with this PIT loss, they’re still a win ahead of us. I can’t imagine that they’d not make it to the playoffs.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
There is a difference, because tonights game was not meaningful to the steelers.

When the game matters,
i.e. week 17 vs the Browns, (steelers will look like hof again Blah! Spit!)

I bet a couple of those plays in the Baltimore game start to look a little more anger inducing after tonights result.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When was the last time that AFC had 8 teams that had 10 wins in a season?

Baltimore and Mami could both win at least win 1 more game each.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Im thinking about it this way.

Scenario 1:
We beat the Jets + Steelers win = We are in the playoffs = Awesome!!

Scenario 2:
We beat the Jets + Steelers lose = We play Steelers week 17 to win the Division Title = Unbelievable!!!

I am super excited either way!!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Baker_Dawg

Scenario 2:
We beat the Jets + Steelers lose = We play Steelers week 17 to win the Division Title = Unbelievable!!!

Probably on Sunday Night Football.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Scenario 2:

I don’t think there is SNF week 17. I might be wrong though.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Frenchy

Scenario 2:

The NFL does not schedule one in advance so they have the option to flex the best game to SNF in week 17.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Frenchy

Scenario 2:

They put the game with the most playoff implications on SNF.

M
Legend
Legend
M

rofl

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888

rofl

Can't make this stuff up bro. rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I'm confused..I thought we would win the head to head with titans if we have same record. But according to ESPN playoffs machine, if the ravens , colts and dolphins win out and we lose one game putting us at 11-5 and the titans lose one game meaning the colts win thier division, putting the titans at 11-5 they go to the playoffs and we dont. How can that be if we beat them?

Last edited by slick; 12/22/20 01:36 AM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can’t find legit scenarios online, as to how we can miss the playoffs. Is the only way we miss the playoffs, is if we finish the season 11-5, and Mia, Ind, Bal, and Tenn each win their last 2 games? Because I would not be shocked if those 4 teams win their final 2 games.

I’m starting to think there is a legitimate chance, that we will need to beat pit to get in.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I just did the playoff machine again. I guess what THROW LONG SAID ABOUT the 3rd team in a division being out is true. if the browns are 11-5 and third in our division, and the titans are 11-5 and second in thier division and the colts ravens and dolphins win out. WE ARE OUT....even though we beat the titans they still go to the playoffs and we dont! That is bs!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
I can’t find legit scenarios online, as to how we can miss the playoffs. Is the only way we miss the playoffs, is if we finish the season 11-5, and Mia, Ind, Bal, and Tenn each win their last 2 games? Because I would not be shocked if those 4 teams win their final 2 games.

I’m starting to think there is a legitimate chance, that we will need to beat pit to get in.

If the Titans, Colts, Ravens, and Dolphins all win their last two games and we lose one of our last two games we do not make the playoffs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I could be wrong, but I also think the Titans don’t have to go 2-0. They could go 1-1, if that loss is to the packers, and the rest of those teams win out. Baltimore is more than likely to win out, and If Miami beats Las Vegas, they could play a Buffalo team the following week, with nothing to play for? The colts play a pittsburgh team this week that just lost to Cincinnati, and 3 straight overall, then finish at Jacksonville.

Unless I’m missing something, none of that would surprise me.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum AFC Playoff Chase Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard