Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
T
Legend
Legend
T
Someone said that nobody thinks Baker is a better b than Watson, ... on one of these threads.

Well. The two 'bs are neck and neck in my book, and Watson takes too many sacks, and Baker is more likely to explode for 6 Td's in one game, so there are at least times when during that time Baker is the better 'b than Watson.
So Yes.

Baker, Tannehill, Watson, Nick Foles, and my other two older 'uarterbacks, they are dudes I can believe in, and Any could be better than the others on any given day. And to Think \ -- Foles was without a team 2 months ago, the Browns could have had 3 if they had signed Foles, on the Browns at the same time.
Imagine it. Foles, Baker, Watson, a Dream Team for sure.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Someone said that nobody thinks Baker is a better b than Watson, ... on one of these threads.

Well. The two 'bs are neck and neck in my book, and Watson takes too many sacks, and Baker is more likely to explode for 6 Td's in one game, so there are at least times when during that time Baker is the better 'b than Watson.
So Yes.

Baker, Tannehill, Watson, Nick Foles, and my other two older 'uarterbacks, they are dudes I can believe in, and Any could be better than the others on any given day. And to Think \ -- Foles was without a team 2 months ago, the Browns could have had 3 if they had signed Foles, on the Browns at the same time.
Imagine it. Foles, Baker, Watson, a Dream Team for sure.

Baker has one game with 5 passing TDs. Watson had 3 games with 5 TDs thrown, and has played fewer overall games. Baker didn't throw more than 2 TDs in a single game last season.

Not sure how you reached your more likely to explode for 6 conclusion.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Always w/the "You" and the "We."

Bullying by posters who don't like a particular message.

I will be very direct. A huge majority of ex-players think that Baker stinks. They question his maturity. The talk about how he struggles in the pocket. I don't care if the "we" crowd likes that or not and making things personal won't change the fact that I can post examples to support my opinion and I don't need others to help me.

First, I want you to post facts that the huge majority of ex-players think Mayfield stinks. Funny that there seems to be a lot of posts form current players supporting him and his future. Second, you get so defensive when anyone questions your obvious over-stated bias against Mayfield but attack like a rabid dog anyone who questions Watson's clear and published character flaws. You are the only person left in this forum that feels it's his duty and responsibility to attack Mayfield whenever the opportunity presents itself while the huge majority of real Browns fans here have moved on from Mayfield weeks ago. With Watson facing what appears to be a huge suspension, you think it's your responsibility to defend Watson no matter the situation presented to you. Only you would believe that if Watson gets a year suspension he is still the lord and savior of the Browns.

You can give the Mayfield crap a rest buddy, everyone has moved on but you. Except the fact your love toy Watson won't be playing some or most of 2022 because he deserves to be suspended.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I wonder if Purp will chastise you for saying "lord and savior" and "love toy?"

After all, he went ballistic because I said "your hero" to mac.

Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Way to defend the We Team. You are no better than they are.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 06/25/22 08:00 PM. Reason: Wrong thread.
Legend
Legend
Trade baker to the giants. we all know danny dimes aint that dude.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
I hope he goes to Seattle. That's my oldest grandson's favorite team. He watched the Browns lose so much growing up that I couldn't convince him to follow them. His dad even asked me once why I would try to do that to him. He's a Bengals fan.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/25/22 10:48 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

With Watson likely to get an indefinite suspension (I believe AT LEAST until all cases are settled) we should be looking for a team who could send us back their/a starter in exchange for Baker. What teams fit that bill with a "mobile" ish QB? (I chuckle when I read about how mobile Brissett is.)

The first team that comes to mind is New Orleans. Winston is not good...but better than Brissett. I think Drew Lock would be better than Brissett. Tua is bad...but probably better than Brissett. Daniel Jones is awful but he's been a starter...let him compete with Brissett (side bonus is that Baker goes to another horribly-run franchise where he will fail with little supporting cast and the haters can continue to leave out context).

In the end though...nothing trumps the Seahawks and Panthers. Seahawks IF Carroll thinks he has a playoff team THIS year (as he can otherwise withstand a losing season and still keep his job) and Panthers if Ruhle can convince HIS FO that saddling him with Darnold is completely unfair (as he otherwise CANNOT withstand a/another losing season and still keep HIS job).

If they go into TC with Brissett as the likely starter, the season is over before it starts.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Winston isn't going to be traded. The Saints could have went after Baker. Instead, they re-signed Winston.

I don't think Lock is better than Brissett. I haven't seen any reports about the Giants and Browns in trade talks.

I think Brissett will be our qb at the start of the season unless the Browns trade for Jimmy G. I am just not sure how they could manage that financially. I'm pretty sure Jimmy already makes more than Baker. Also, he hasn't even been able to throw a football yet. He is scheduled to start throwing at the end of this coming week. Not sure if that will happen or not.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Right now, everyone has an opinion on the subject. No one really knows what's going to happen. I feel our FO is trying to trade Baker I don't believe they want him here at the beginning of the season. If and when DW is suspended, most likely when, I feel Brissett will be our QB. Lastly, Lord knows how long DW suspension will be. We'll just wait and see and go from there.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 06/26/22 09:21 AM.
Legend
Legend
I wonder if Purp will chastise you for saying "lord and savior" and "love toy?"

After all, he went ballistic because I said "your hero" to mac.

No, I did not.
You claiming as much means you ENTIRELY missed the point of what I actually did say, or, like many other things, you just want to misrepresent what ACTUALLY happened so you can continue to play your insane little martyr act and keep getting the attention you crave.

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1951331
I called you out for the way you constantly cry wolf over people supposedly calling you names or calling you a "liar" and in damn near the same breath you will then turn around and do EXACTLY what you just whined about others doing. PERIOD.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I still don't understand why its so important to stomp on Baker.

What I do know. Kurt Warner had good things to say about Baker. Chris Simms had good things to say about Baker.

What I do know. Is more an more interest in obtaining Baker seems to be surfacing even though it might come at a high cost. Two teams are in the running, SeaHawks and the Panthers. SeaHawks reportedly are looking to extend Baker to more than one year. I think it is proving out that Baker is NOT THE BUM you make him out to be.

And with suspensions looming as well as many fans disgusted with us signing Watson the trade might have been a bad one. So far we are talking about Jordan Davis, Baker and 2 more 1st round picks for a QB who we don't know when he will play AT ALL.

Baker and the Browns are done with and over. I hope he does well except against us.

Watson I truly wished he was a kid of character and treated women like his mom taught him. ALAS he is turning out to be a total scum bag. Not somebody I can be proud of being my QB. But I will always love my Browns even when they make mistakes. Here I thought we were finally out of Expansion mode....and now we are sucked right back into mediocrity. Great.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Winston isn't going to be traded. The Saints could have went after Baker. Instead, they re-signed Winston.

If the Browns sent Baker and paid $10MM of his deal, the Saints would be crazy to pass that up. And I will vomit watching Winston in a Browns uni..but he's better than Brissett. I don't think it has a chance of happening though...the devil you know versus the devil you don't for the Saints.

I don't think Lock is better than Brissett. I haven't seen any reports about the Giants and Browns in trade talks.

I think Lock is better than Brissett...but I think we'd both agree that Brissett/Lock or Lock/Brissett is significantly better than Brissett/Dobbs. Daniel Jones is awful...but he's better than Dobbs. He's cheap at approx $6.5MM and his contract expires after '22. I too have not heard a peep about trading for Jones.

I think Brissett will be our qb at the start of the season unless the Browns trade for Jimmy G. I am just not sure how they could manage that financially. I'm pretty sure Jimmy already makes more than Baker. Also, he hasn't even been able to throw a football yet. He is scheduled to start throwing at the end of this coming week. Not sure if that will happen or not.

Jimmy G's contract for '22 is in the $25MM range...so your now-underlined point above is a huge issue. The 49ers don't need a QB back so Baker doesn't help in a trade...and what do the Browns have in draft capital to rent Jimmy G for a year?

I believe we are stuck with Brissett and hopefully they find an upgrade over Dobbs. I like Dobbs' story and understand he's quite a smart and good guy...but he's not an NFL QB.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The Browns have kept their quarterback room in tact for 5.9 months.
Think about that.

Edit: it was in January that, on the MKC plain dealer podcasts, I last heard of talks of the Browns searching for a viable option at Qb, and I dismissed it as one does, but Wham! they signed Watson, and disowned Baker.
(What's wrong with Baker again? answer- Egos.)

Now, today, as this, beatdown by the league against Watson on the Browns becomes eminent, and all that's left is Brissett, WSU is again, now trying to find a way, to rationalize the Browns getting a real option at quarterback,
(and the Browns apparently have still disowned Baker, (Egos)
January - to June 26. 5.9 months. <clarification

Last edited by THROW LONG; 06/26/22 10:21 AM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Analysis from former players is mostly consistent when it comes to Baker

I guess if you choose to ignore the posts I made from his own team mates. I guess you think those that didn't play on the team or share the locker room with him know better because it supports you agenda.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Just speculating or airing a few thoughts:

Baker and JG probably are seen by many as not being too far apart. JG more stable and 'professional' - Baker more talent. JG had a chance with a really good team last year and wet the bed when it mattered. Baker played through and injury and looked like hot garbage - after finishing a strong 2021 performance. Regardless of stats - Baker had a PFF grade for the last half of 2020 rated inside the top 5 of all QB's. Some might prefer the ultimate professional - some might prefer the fire/passion/talent of Baker and deal with the potential immaturity. What's big is that it sure sounds like Baker is more advanced on his recovery. That's good for the Browns.

It is also potentially good for the Browns that it seems / feels like his market value has taken an uptick recently. Might be another insight into why/how Berry has been spot on in his evaluation of Baker's value. I'd put money that many other GM's would have panicked and traded away Baker earlier in the process and got less for him.

I still think the Browns are going to be on the hook for a minimum of $8-10 million. Even a decent team like Seattle that could maybe compete for a play off slot and might want to "win now" has to realize that Baker is on a one year deal - without a contract extension (and Baker is in a weak position - who doesn't doubt he would hold out for top 15 QB money?) the franchise tag is expensive - so we're talking probably a one year rental. A team like the Panthers are just in such a bad place - Darnold is bad imo - and they have $$$ tied up in him. They are not a good team. Why give up any draft capital knowing no matter what you do - you are going to be bad and Rhule is probably gonski next year.

Last edited by mgh888; 06/26/22 11:55 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fair thoughts, mgh.

A little while back, somewhere on social media, I saw something about Cleveland's "plan B," if Watson is suspended for the whole season. Granted, any jack-hole with a social media account can call themselves an expert and claim to have inside sources (it's not like just *anyone* can get a Twitter account. They just don't hand those out, amirite?). But this guy said that if Watson is gone for the year than it would be Baker for Jimmy G. SF is moving on, Lance is their guy. I guess the salary savings is what would make this attractive to SF? I imagine this guy just pulled it out his keester but made it sound like the teams have been working on this. I mean, Jimmy for a season over Brissett, sure.

As you said, when it mattered most, Jimmy did not come through. When was the last time we had a QB who had a knack for carrying a team in the 4th quarter/OT when the game was on the line? Honestly, I cannot remember.

I agree that there seems to be more rumblings about a Baker trade, but it feels like white noise. We've been hearing this off and on for months. I remember the 2nd day of the draft when someone tweeted that Baker would be gone by 4:00.

I saw somewhere that he is fully healed, not sure if accurate or not. That was thought to be the biggest hurdle in moving him.

Truth be told, I look forward to him moving on, and playing elsewhere. I want to see how he does. Was that 8-game stretch in 2020 where he was a PFF top-5 QB the true Baker? Or was the other 8 games of 2020 where he was rated in the 30s closer to the truth? Or somewhere in between? I am curious to see how he does with another coaching staff and another roster. And, yes, to move on. I am tired of all of this and looking forward to football.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: OldColdDawg, mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think the 2020 stretch was closer to the real Baker than the 2021 stretch. But for certain I think it's some place in between. But that's me. If the Seattle trade happens I think we'll get to see what Baker can do - Carroll is a good coach. The Seahawks are a decent team with at least one stud WR. If Baker went to someplace like the Panthers - I think it'd be a dumpster fire. It's interesting that, other than speculation about taking on some of his contract, there is no speculation (that I have seen) about draft compensation. that's going to be interesting to see too.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
Legend
Legend
T
It's more Alarming to me that the Browns apparently are giving up on Baker Mayfield who all can see is obviously a good quarterback, than any positive that Watson could eventually prove to be is doing to quell that alarm.

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
If Seattle determines that they are a playoff team IF they have a better QB...why can't the Browns owners and FO get there as well? Eat the turd...mend the bridge...say you are sorry...and make one last run together (both sides that is). Baker vs Brissett? Not even remotely close. I still see Lock coming back to us as part of a deal for Baker. Which gives me remarkably little comfort/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who really cares anymore?

You keyboard warriors would go into DT's if you didn't have Baker to type about anymore.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
If Watson cannot play baker is our best option at qb. I think the idea that the players in the clubhouse would reject him is totally wrong because above all else they want to win and baker gives them the best chance to do that.

I think if baker were to decline to play with us he would forfeit the $18 mill. But I also think we can offer this opportunity to baker as a win win. He can show his skills are still there, his injuries have healed and that he is a team player. At the end of the season , assuming he is successful, he will have multiple offers of multi year deals.

He should be asked to tc and whatever coach has been offended by him needs to get over it and put the team ahead of personal feelings.

2 members like this: WSU Willie, Dave
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
If Seattle determines that they are a playoff team IF they have a better QB...why can't the Browns owners and FO get there as well? Eat the turd...mend the bridge...say you are sorry...and make one last run together (both sides that is). Baker vs Brissett? Not even remotely close. I still see Lock coming back to us as part of a deal for Baker. Which gives me remarkably little comfort/

I don't think any apologies are necessary. Its a business, and Baker knows that. But I agree he's the much better option over Brissett, and everybody involved needs to put on their big boy pants and do what's best for the team, and in Baker's case, his career. That said, there's almost no chance it happens. Oh well, so it goes ...

2 members like this: WSU Willie, mgh888
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
If Baker is traded to Seattle , Seahawks fans will be disappointed knowing Mayfield's
Ceiling is playoffs at best
Baker needs a rock solid running game behind him to make throws downfield
Seattle's offense can't be built around Baker's limitations
The NFC West is not a cakewalk
Baker will have to absolutely play the best ball of his career in order
To even get Seattle in the conversation for the playoffs
Their schedule is not easy
The Hawks have the worst defense in the NFC.
If Baker is starter in Seattle , he cant be wetting his pants in the 4th q.
Throwing picks and being unable to win close games

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
If Baker is traded to Seattle , Seahawks fans will be disappointed knowing Mayfield's
Ceiling is playoffs at best
Baker needs a rock solid running game behind him to make throws downfield
Seattle's offense can't be built around Baker's limitations
The NFC West is not a cakewalk
Baker will have to absolutely play the best ball of his career in order
To even get Seattle in the conversation for the playoffs
Their schedule is not easy
The Hawks have the worst defense in the NFC.
If Baker is starter in Seattle , he cant be wetting his pants in the 4th q.
Throwing picks and being unable to win close games

it will be see interesting to see what he does. I think last year should be thrown out the window.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think that w/out Watson, we have absolutely no chance whether it be Brissett, Baker. or Lock. Jimmy G would give us a chance, but I can't see how that trade works financially. The AFC is freaking loaded.

T
Legend
Legend
T
At this point, Baker gives you the best chance.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Aren’t they saying garrapolo cannot even throw yet. He may come to tc not even able to rip it. He may not be 100% by opening game. I would not trade for a wounded qb. Meanwhile we have a healthy qb on the roster right now. We need to heal the wounds and put baker and the browns back together. In a very real sense, our season depends on it

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Aren’t they saying garrapolo cannot even throw yet? He may come to tc not even able to rip it. He may not be 100% by opening game. I would not trade for a wounded qb. Meanwhile we have a healthy qb on the roster right now. We need to heal the wounds and put baker and the browns back together. In a very real sense, our season depends on it

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yes, if you scroll up you will see that Jimmy G isn't scheduled to even begin throwing until the end of the week.

Baker asked to be traded. The Browns aren't the ones who need to mend a damn thing. Our season is done if we don't have Watson. I wonder how many Baker fans have contacted the league office or folks like Florio complaining about Watson and demanding a stiff penalty?

Browns fans have a long history of backing the wrong party and they are doing so again.

D
Legend
Legend
D
You're blaming Browns fans because Watson can't keep it under his washcloth during a rubdown? LMAO!

1 member likes this: FATE
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
No. But, don't let the truth stop you from getting a dig in.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Browns fans don't have any real control over who the team signs and who plays. That would fall on the owners, and who the owners keep around as Managers.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
At this point, Baker gives you the best chance.

Didn't you hear, Baker asked to be traded after getting some flack by the team. We cant have that kind of distraction on our team! Or character issue! /s

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Never said they did.

T
Legend
Legend
T
GC.
Football, should be reminded that the biggest story in football every year, needs to be what happens on the field.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Baker will be under much scrutiny if he starts in Seattle
He is replacing a QB who has played a very high level
For many years .
He has big shoes to fill.
When Cleveland drafted him all he had to do was get the team
To .500 and make stupid 1st down arm signals
If he scrambled for a 1st down to win the hearts of the fans
Baker will be given a fair chance to win the job if