Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Concerning the use of Myles...one big factor that the Browns FO has failed to do is pairing Myles with a "stud DT". Myles is getting chipped and doubled as a result, meaning Myles is on his own to beat whatever the offensive blocking scheme is being used to defeat Myles pass rush.

Also, I have not seen a consistent blitz package from Woods that helps Myles secure 'one on one blocking'...

I've wondered how Myles might do if Woods utilized Myles much like the Steelers use Watt...as a LBer in a 3-4, allowing Watt more liberty to use different blitzing schemes to succeed at sacking/pressuring the QB.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Wow, that article is pretty eye-opening. Thanks for sharing. I wonder what our stats would be by comparison. I know with the shift to the 4-2-5 that a lot of teams are using would seemingly increase the usage of zone coverage, correct? Especially the usage of Cover-3? I'd like to revisit those broken plays we had and see what kind of coverage we were in.

I am going to post another article that might help. I really don't know which coverage is used the most. I see a lot of Cover 2, Cover 4, Quarters, which is a variant of Cover 4, Cover 3, etc. I see teams play Cover 6.....which is Cover 4 on one side of the field and Cover 2 on the other side of the field. Pretty cool, huh?

Here is the real takeaway..........teams use a variety of coverages. To stick to one or two looks would be suicide because offensive coaches and players spend a ton of time studying film to find tendencies. Being predictable will lead to disaster. The opponent, field position, score, etc all factor into which coverage the DC calls. Obviously, certain defenses favor some coverages more than others. The 4-2-5 tends to favor Quarters and Cover 3. But, I've seen us in all kinds of coverages. Anyway, here is the article. Keep the conversation going if you like. I love this sort of stuff. Oh, and following the link is a good idea again. There are a couple of graphs/charts available that provide a nice visual.

BREAKDOWNS
Coverages Are Constantly Evolving In the Modern Era

Jared Hammond

January 1, 2022 3 min read

NFL Coverages Are Constantly Evolving In the Modern Era

As NFL offenses started to evolve in the early 2010s with the increased use of three, four, and five wide sets, offenses shifted from a focus on the running game to the passing game. Offenses have quickly started implementing more spread formations and concepts into their playbooks in an effort to continue to adapt and find new ways to beat defenses. The popularity of base defense (3-4/4-3) has continuously become less and less popular, while the nickel defensive package has started to dominate the NFL. The nickel package replaces one linebacker for an extra player in the secondary.

Since 2014 (when PFF started recording data), nickel defense usage has continued to rise in nearly every season. The 2014 season was the only one during this span that the nickel package hasn’t been used for at least 50% of all defensive snaps in a season. Through Week 15 of this season, teams have used the nickel package a record high 60.9% of all defensive snaps. This trend is the same in college as well. This regular season, nickel was used on 63.9% of defensive snaps.

As the NFL continues to be more pass-oriented, defenses and coverages continue to adjust for what offenses are doing. In turn, it seems as though defenses that were more popular prior to the surge of pass-heavy schemes can be used to create confusion.

“The 90s consisted primarily of cover 2 and zone defenses, operating out of a base 3-4, which was made popular due to Lawrence Taylor,” Former NFL Head Coach Chris Palmer says.

As nickel was becoming more popular in the early 2000s, not all teams practiced much against it.

“It threw the players off, the first time we saw it (nickel) against our ace personnel,” Coach Palmer says. “Nickel defense has become more prominent on first down because coaches are always looking for matchups… 3 wide sets, 4 wide sets, throwing more has caused all offenses to look for matchup advantages when they put additional receivers on the field.”

Some defensive coaches are using the trend towards the nickel package to their advantage. With players seeing nickel more often throughout college and seeing less base defense, some teams use this to their advantage.

“(Broncos Head Coach) Vic Fangio doesn’t often match personnel pre-snap, which can confuse quarterbacks. He’ll stick to a base defense look instead of shifting his defense, which is not something many offenses practice against,” Coach Palmer notes.

Utilizing base defense is one way defensive coordinators are able to create confusion, as younger QBs who haven’t seen much base defensive sets in their limited NFL experience.

In addition to the rise in the use of the nickel package, there has been a fluctuation in coverage type used by season since 2014. One of the most prominent differences was from 2015 to 2016 is the use of cover 3.

League-wide, cover 3 usage dropped from 34.8% of all defensive coverage snaps to 25.8%. The top three teams who used cover 3 in 2015 — Seattle (52.3%), Atlanta (51.4%), and Pittsburgh (42.3%), all had success defensively in nearly all statistical categories. Despite the success, these three teams dramatically dropped the amount of cover 3 they played the following season in 2016 — Seattle (28.7%), Atlanta (32.2%), and Pittsburgh (22.5%).

Seattle’s Legion of Boom increased the popularity of cover 3 during their early years of success from 2012-2015, but once injuries started to rot the core of their secondary, the use of cover 3 dramatically shifted in both 2016 and 2017 until it was popularized again in 2018 by the Los Angeles Chargers — who combined cover 3 with heavy dime defense usage (60.6% of defensive snaps, 22.8% higher than the next team).

As offenses continue to evolve and find trends that work, defenses will continue to adjust accordingly. This season, NFL defenses are on pace to have the lowest percentage of cover 1 played, 24.79%, since PFF started recording coverage snaps in 2014. That is nearly a 10% drop since 2019. Cover 1 will continue to drop in usage as the use of nickel packages continues to increase.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/breakdowns/nfl-coverages-are-constantly-evolving-in-the-modern-era/

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I love this. This also reminds me of the defense the Patriots used against the Chiefs in 2020 that had Mahomes baffled. I think it was a Cover 2 variation that was called a Cover 5. Pretty innovative.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Cover 5 is a good defense to run at the end of games when you are trying to protect a lead. It's also good against the deep passing game, so your example makes sense to me. It has its weaknesses, but they all do.

I don't think I mentioned this before and I apologize if I did. One of the best things defenses do is give a qb one look w/their coverage pre-snap and then change it post-snap. Over the years, you have probably noticed me talking about both pre-snap and post-snap reads by qbs. Pre-snap reads can really be improved by film study. Again, tendencies are a huge factor. However, post-snap reads are about processing speed. It's an entirely different animal and not many are really good at it.

2 members like this: lampdogg, dawglover05
O
Legend
Legend
O
Joe woods is just not a good coach. I'm just glad they simplified, now maybe they'll take the next step like last year.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Swish #1975586 10/02/22 03:57 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
fire this clown. cant stop the pass, another blown coverage by the secondary, and the defense just got ran out the building.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1975607 10/02/22 04:34 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Swish
fire this clown. cant stop the pass, another blown coverage by the secondary, and the defense just got ran out the building.

NOW!!!! DON"T WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!! flamingmad

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Swish #1975626 10/02/22 04:52 PM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I don't know. After the D had three straight 3-and-outs and our offense forgot how to run the ball and our ineffectiveness in both halfs when we had the ball inside the 5, I out just as much blame on the O.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Joe Wood didn't play a down. He, personally, didn't blow coverages- maybe we need to dumb down the D. When you start THREE backups on your D line it doesn't lead to wins normally. IF our O had score the normal number of points- we win. IF HC would take 3 when it's nearly automatic, maybe we're in overtime......2-2 is reality AND now comes the real tests.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Swish #1975632 10/02/22 05:10 PM
Legend
Legend
We talk a lot and often about "control the things you can" but this losing the same way repeatedly and regularly, seems like things need addressed. If not, you must want more of the same. We lost this game several times and on both sides of the ball. What do you feel can be controlled?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
hitt #1975637 10/02/22 05:13 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by hitt
Joe Wood didn't play a down. He, personally, didn't blow coverages- maybe we need to dumb down the D. When you start THREE backups on your D line it doesn't lead to wins normally. IF our O had score the normal number of points- we win. IF HC would take 3 when it's nearly automatic, maybe we're in overtime......2-2 is reality AND now comes the real tests.....GO Browns!!!

Really our Secondary is not even in the area code in the 4th Quarter, we have given up 50 of 95 Points in the 4th Quarter That is bad coaching PERIOD!!!
t

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Swish #1975638 10/02/22 05:16 PM
Legend
Legend
It’s pretty clear we wont, but he’s awful

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: PastorMarc
hitt #1975643 10/02/22 05:31 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A

Problem is, this isn't a 1 game issue. It's repeated, way too often. Even WITH the starters.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Swish #1975645 10/02/22 06:06 PM
Legend
Legend
Irritated with Woods lack of ability to adjust to stopping the run today.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Swish #1975661 10/02/22 07:39 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
The offence looked like a bucket of seal feces in the second half. Our D played well today against a good offence. Except for the blown coverage on their final drive. That one play might have been the decider, the TSN Turning Point. Still in first place! smile

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

Problem is, this isn't a 1 game issue. It's repeated, way too often. Even WITH the starters.

Yep. These same issues have been plaguing Woods' defense since he's been here.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Swish #1975670 10/02/22 07:57 PM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
who on our staff can take over for Woods? even if we fire Woods now, it's unheard of to bring in an outsider mid-season to install a new scheme, so whoever is on our staff would need to step up. My instinct tells me woods doesn't last past our Bye, which seems like an eternity from now

Swish #1975671 10/02/22 08:00 PM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
who on our staff can take over for Woods? even if we fire Woods now, it's unheard of to bring in an outsider mid-season to install a new scheme, so whoever is on our staff would need to step up. My instinct tells me woods doesn't last past our Bye, which seems like an eternity from now

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by boofers20
who .... can take over for Woods?

What's Gregg Williams doing these days?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Swish #1975718 10/02/22 10:33 PM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Legend
Legend
IMO, Stefanski and Berry wouldn’t fire him during the season. I personally think he’s awful and has shown enough after 2.5 years for us to know that he’s awful. But he’s gonna be here for the season.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #1975733 10/03/22 06:05 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Not to defend Woods here, but yesterday's game wasn't a Joe Woods problem.

When you have guys like Tommy Togiai starting, or even on the team for that matter, you aren't going to win the LOS. We schemed a lot of different formations. The only one I may have missed was the UFO defense we employed several years back. We should know from those days that scheme doesn't cover for bad players.

If anybody needs to stand up for what we saw yesterday it is Andrew Berry. He is the guy who is responsible for what Woods had to work with in yesterday's game. Berry and our scouts don't do a good job when it comes to scouting and selecting wide receivers and defensive line talent. Coaching "up" only goes so far. Baseline bad players are still going to be bad players.

Woods can be held to the fire for other things, but he can't be held accountable for trying to get by with inferior players. Actually, I think we held the Falcons to their lowest point this year, or at least their average point output.

Yesterday was all about the O and decisions made on that side of the ball.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Swish #1975740 10/03/22 07:57 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I would not fire Woods during the season. Making emotional decisions are not intelligent. He might be in trouble at the end of the year. Fangio is out there [I think] and he has had a lot of success as a DC.

The D played okay yesterday. They looked great at times and terrible at times. They were inconsistent. We were down 4 starters. That has to count for something. I kinda agree w/peen that there is a lack of talent at certain positions. DT for sure and I am not high on our LBers. On the other hand, Woods hasn't done enough to make me say he's the guy. It's just not a good idea to fire him at this point.

I'm actually more concerned about our Special Teams coach.

Swish #1975741 10/03/22 08:09 AM
Legend
Legend
Guys like Rochell, Togaiai, Wright, etc are not NFL quality players, at least from a starting standpoint.

Myles’ accident made our chances to win much worse, but it was still a winnable game obviously.

throwing away points, defensive breakdowns, AWFUL special teams play, etc. Bad coaching.

It was a total team failure

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Guys like Rochell, Togaiai, Wright, etc are not NFL quality players, at least from a starting standpoint.

Myles’ accident made our chances to win much worse, but it was still a winnable game obviously.

throwing away points, defensive breakdowns, AWFUL special teams play, etc. Bad coaching.

It was a total team failure
I totally agree with you.the Browns had the worst starting D line
Of any team yesterday. That's not Woods fault. Togaiai was very
Average at OSU. He wasn't going to turn into Warren Sapp
At this level.
Their was high expectations for this defense in 2022
Some even claimed it was a near caliber championship
Defense which is so far off reality

The Browns defense was a bit over rated coming into
This year. In 2021 it faced a handful of QBs that were either
Backups or on the doorstep of retirement
That combination kinda makes the final stats misleading

Flacco moved the ball on this defense when it mattered
The Falcons ran the ball with ease.
It took a FG to beat a offense that's the worst in the league
Led by I'm Feeling Dangerous Baker Mayfield. Carolinas
Best offensive output came vs this defense .that says alot.

Firing Woods accomplishes nothing at this point.
Cause the next guy up won't change the schemes he
Implemented.
Maybe the players on defense shouldn't have been reading
Their hype in the preseason

Swish #1975749 10/03/22 08:45 AM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
woke up in a good mood, still wanting his head!!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: tastybrownies
R
Legend
Legend
R
Fangio would be an interesting option.

Swish #1975754 10/03/22 09:01 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Fangio would be an interesting option.

Swish #1975767 10/03/22 10:22 AM
Legend
Legend
us without Garrett is tantamount to Pittsburgh without Watt. Add in us without Clowney and it gets ugly fast

V
Legend
Legend
V
Clowney misses a lot of time, whether it be in TC or the regular season. Such a talent, butI question the "want-to."

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 10/03/22 10:24 AM.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, he’s an enigma

Swish #1975778 10/03/22 10:46 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

My (not so) hot take is that Joe Woods will not be coaching our defense next season.

It's not all his fault, because he can't control who he has avaliable, but his game plans have been head scratchers.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1975779 10/03/22 10:48 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
j/c,

My (not so) hot take is that Joe Woods will not be coaching our defense next season.

It's not all his fault, because he can't control who he has avaliable, but his game plans have been head scratchers.

You are one of the guys whose football knowledge I respect, so please take this the right way. What exactly did you not like about our defensive game plan yesterday?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Clowney misses a lot of time, whether it be in TC or the regular season. Such a talent, butI question the "want-to."

Exactly, what ever happened to taping it up? These cats today are soft.

JC Tretter was a dying bread.
RIP tough guys!

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c,

You are one of the guys whose football knowledge I respect, so please take this the right way. What exactly did you not like about our defensive game plan yesterday?

I think that we where out coached in that we (as per usual) seemed to have the wrong plan to start the game o defense. Woods had us in poor defensive calls to counter their initial attack. It was almost as if they were surprised at their offensive strategy. Then they switched their strategy, staying one step ahead of Woods. The lack of any adjustments after their offense made their adjustments was painfully obvious.

Basically poor chess.

[Linked Image]

Swish #1975804 10/03/22 12:23 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Is Joe Woods still employed today? Just checking in.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by tastybrownies
Is Joe Woods still employed today? Just checking in.
Haha yeah, keep checking until January

FL_Dawg #1975839 10/03/22 03:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The lack of any adjustments after their offense made their adjustments was painfully obvious.

I believe (one of) the instances that you are referring to, is the late TD drive they had wherein all plays were runs, not one pass thrown. They gashed us so bad and we had no answer....

Last edited by bbrowns32; 10/03/22 03:28 PM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Swish #1975851 10/03/22 04:14 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Some coaches are good enough to teach a scheme or system to their players and be successful in the NFL. Some coaches are capable of taking raw player talent and develop them into better players...and some coaches can do both, teach a scheme or system and improve their raw talent.

But some coaches are not capable of doing either...they rely on getting the best talent their team management can buy on the free agent market or draft and hope those players can perform the scheme well enough to make the coaches scheme look good.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Swish #1975856 10/03/22 04:30 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Woods started out like this last year too. First six games or so, we couldn't trust them to be solid. By the end of the year, they were considered top 5. So what do you do? I don't like his D. But he's not going anywhere if we land in the top 10 at the end of this season. I do think he's part of the problem currently, but it is what it is.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Fire Joe Woods

Link Copied to Clipboard