Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
A week ago I brought up that there seems to be something going on behind the scenes we don't know about. It seems I was right. A lot of dissension on our team.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Maybe, but who is that guy on the Bills? 49ers? Cowboys? Tampa Bay? Those are top 4 ranked defensive teams this year.

peen, the game has changed a lot. So have the players and how they respond to coaches. It's not like it was back in our day. These guys can't be yelled at. Hell, the Cardinals tried to put in his contract about how much time Murray studies each week.

Not arguing w/you. Just a friendly debate.

Edit: I think those teams I listed have really good players on D. Look at SF w/Bosa and Warner. Cowboys have Parsons. Bucs have guys like White and David. Bills have Von Miller and T. White. Not sure if any of those guys rule the locker room like a Ray Lewis, Mike Singletary, Dick Butkus, etc.

Interesting conversation... poke

It sounds like the analytics folks don't like the kind of football that the Browns are playing now that the entire Browns program is influenced primarily upon "analytical values"..! This is year 3 of the entire Browns franchise operating according to an owner, upper management and front office, including the draft team, the coaching staff (top to bottom) the Head Coach and Coordinators...ALL operating under a football system based on ANALYTICS.

It sounds as if some would like to see a Browns team, especially on the defensive side to show a bit of aggression and toughness from the Browns ... kind of like the Steelers show...like some players on the Browns roster who show leadership skills along with someone willing to fill the role of an "enforcer" .

Players who exhibit values such as aggressiveness, toughness or are overly emotional by the standards written into the " the Browns Harvard Guidlines" don't last long in Cleveland. Players performing outside the Guidelines as outlined by Haslam's Chief strategy officer will find out who the REAL ENFORCER is of the Browns franchise. Those players who don't meet Depodesta's standards of conduct will find themselves out of Cleveland in a heartbeat.

Analytics, especially on the Browns defensive side, is all about "making nice"...IMO

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
You may want to make it that because that is the foundation you have built....but that isn't it. Your foundation is still full of cracks and falling apart.

peen...I have no idea what you mean with your comment above... maybe you can explain "building a foundation"..?

The Browns foundation is 1000% ANALYTICS, built by Paul Depodesta...and their record speaks for itself, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Honestly, I can't think of one thing that Depodesta has done for the Browns that would be interpreted as an example of Depo instilling toughness or aggressiveness in the franchise.

You, building the foundation of your argument.

As for Depo, he doesn't have anything to do with building toughness and aggressiveness in players. Sorry to break the news to you, but Depo isn't in charge of everything. He isn't in charge of the draft. He isn't in charge of on field activities.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by steve0255
When you have what is now 4 different players going public about the commitment of players and/or just playing for the paycheck, you have a HC issue. Instead, we have forum posters that want the first two banished from the team and have yet to post about the second group. Now we have Bitonio and Cooper going public. How many more players does it take before people start to sit up and take notice. On a side note, you can bet that Bitonio and Cooper didn't decide to come out because of the last game. You can bet that this has been going on a long time, most likely before Cooper even got here and its's getting worse. I guess we'll have to wait and see which player goes public that wakes up the masses over the next 5-weeks.

I agree with you even though I get the feeling you are somehow trying to take it back to baker comments. I don't think many took Bakers comments about some guys just wanting to get a pension and held that as the reason why it was time to move on. I know I didn't, and I was a firm Baker fan. I lost my faith in the guy for numerous other reasons.

Just trying to be clear here.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by steve0255
When you have what is now 4 different players going public about the commitment of players and/or just playing for the paycheck, you have a HC issue. Instead, we have forum posters that want the first two banished from the team and have yet to post about the second group. Now we have Bitonio and Cooper going public. How many more players does it take before people start to sit up and take notice. On a side note, you can bet that Bitonio and Cooper didn't decide to come out because of the last game. You can bet that this has been going on a long time, most likely before Cooper even got here and its's getting worse. I guess we'll have to wait and see which player goes public that wakes up the masses over the next 5-weeks.

I agree with you even though I get the feeling you are somehow trying to take it back to baker comments. I don't think many took Bakers comments about some guys just wanting to get a pension and held that as the reason why it was time to move on. I know I didn't, and I was a firm Baker fan. I lost my faith in the guy for numerous other reasons.

Just trying to be clear here.

Thanks Ballpeen for the input. The day that Baker was traded was the day I moved on. That vast majority - hell all of the Baker comments are spurred on by the hatred of Vers who refuses to just move on like the rest of us have. Truthfully, if our Cleveland Browns go 2-15 this year, we'd still get weekly posts from Vers claiming how much better off the team is because Baker is gone and then post some irrational stat trying to prove his point. In reality, my posts are focused on the issues the Browns have being they are 2-4 and not looking good for the 5-game stretch coming up. Read the posts, nearly 100% of the time, Vers will interject some off the wall comment about how much better we are with Baker gone. Who cares! Baker has nothing to do with us being 2-4 after having the 3rd easiest schedule in the NFL. It's not just me either, there are numerous posters that feel the exact same way. I'm too damn old to let some wanna be expert bully me into submission due to his hatred for a particular player. Like it's been posted many times, this was a much more enjoyable forum when the dude was hiding and not posting. As far as the comment goes, "we have forum posters that want the first two banished from the team" that was a direct response to Vers saying that he hopes the Browns bounce JJ for opening his big mouth. The exact same thing he said about Mayfield. I apologize to anybody else that took that as a personal attack - wasn't intended to be that. It was a situation where we now have 4 players past and present claiming the same issue. I think that's a problem that can't be ignored and should be discussed in "Pure Football."

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Six years of ANALYTICS...WHAT ARE THE RESULTS..?

Problems in the locker room with players openly questioning other players...

COME ON GM or any of you ...SHOW ME THE RESULTS OF 6 YEARS OF ANALYTICS...or run away and pretend everything is great in Cleveland...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Let's not feed him in his attempts to hijack another thread and pull his personality crap agenda yet again. The thread is about Joe Woods and the Defense. It's not about Baker or posters and their agendas.

This is going to be a tough game for the Browns defense. Lamar is coming off a game in which he made a couple of costly mistakes that helped doom the Ravens. He has spoken about putting on a "show" this week because he and the team are so 'mad.' Also, Baltimore is at home and have blown 3 double digit leads this year. Tough circumstances.

I can't find the chart now, but Milk or Memphis posted a chart that shows a league wide chart w/something to do w/the running game. Baltimore was way out in front and our D was down at the bottom. It's going to be really hard to control Lamar and the Ravens running game. Stack the box and they beat us over the top. Rush too hard and Lamar takes off. Back off and they pound our DTs.

I'm guessing we might use a spy on Lamar. JOK seems suited for that role. He is not a good tackler, but he has the speed and athleticism to stay w/Lamar better than most dudes. Having Jones at the other LBer should help our pass D. He is good in coverage. He'll get deeper drops and that is important. I am not sure how good he will be against the run w/out having a DT who can eat blocks in front of him????

Not having Ward is going to hurt, though. Our safeties are not very good in coverage. Delpit is especially bad. I think we need to play more Cover 3 this game. People like man defense, but having a guy like Delpit in Cover 1 is tough. We saw how easily Henry beat him for a TD last week. Also, not having Ward makes Cover 1 even less desirable.

Clowney could be a big asset if he decides he wants to play this week. Myles is facing more double and triple teams than anyone in the league and no one else can take advantage of that on our D-line. Clowney can change that.

I also think it is important that we take care of the ball on offense. We can't have bad interceptions like we did last week and put our D in unfavorable positions.

Maybe we can talk about the D and not the other crap????

R
Legend
Legend
R
Baker Mayfield is a bad QB. You keep wanting to slant the Browns current struggles to somehow say "see, it wasn't my hero Baker!"

But it was. Baker was a problem here and it has continued to prove out elsewhere.

Stefanski is also a bad head coach. Both can be true and mutually exclusive.

Woods is also a terrible DC.

The problems with the Browns run deep. There are no true leaders amongst the players or coaches. If there were we wouldn't be sitting at 2-4 after the easiest schedule in tbe NFL thus far. We wouldn't have blown the Jets game...a game that the Jets had a .1% chance of winning.

This team is a joke and will continue to be until they make decisions that prioritize winning and the results are consistently good over time. Until then, I suggest making some money by betting against them. I will not be making the same mistake as last week. I will get my bet in on the Ravens this week.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Let's not feed him in his attempts to hijack another thread and pull his personality crap agenda yet again. The thread is about Joe Woods and the Defense. It's not about Baker or posters and their agendas.

RUN FOREST, RUN...

I forgot about you VERS...maybe you can post the results of 6 yr of analytics...PLEASE DO...OR RUN AWAY..

BTW, one of most vocal players pointing fingers, is from the defensive side...you know, JOE WOODS AND THE DEFENSE.

So vers, the challenge has been made...all is fine in Cleveland...or do you believe the Browns players pointing fingers at each other.

Legend
Legend
COME ON GM or any of you ...SHOW ME THE RESULTS OF 6 YEARS OF ANALYTICS...or run away and pretend everything is great in Cleveland...

I will be glad to, and as soon as Depo is in charge and runs things for six years I will. Till then as I said before just start your posts with "Once upon a time" since you want to keep posting fairy tales.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by GMdawg

I will be glad to, and as soon as Depo is in charge and runs things for six years I will. Till then as I said before just start your posts with "Once upon a time" since you want to keep posting fairy tales.

When did Depo take over as CHEIF STRATEGY OFFICER...??

Since Haslam handed the keys to the franchise over to Depodesta in 2016, he has been running the franchise...claiming everyone has to be on board or his ANALYTICS
DRIVEN STRATEGY OR IT WILL NOT WORK.

Depo's built his analytics department, front office, the HC and coordinators who had to buy into his analytics philosophy as a condition of their being hired. If anyone in the franchise is not on board the DEPO TRAIN..THEY ARE OUT. Woods greatest protection to insure he remains employed is to convince Depodesta that he is all in on analytics.

Depodesta has been in charge since hired as the Browns CHIEF STRATEGY OFFICER on Jan. 5, 2016...

NOW GM, tell everyone what Depo's record is since Jan. 5, 2016...what is the bottom line in terms of WINS AND LOSSES..?

Put up or run away from REALITY..!!

Someone once said..."you are what your record says you are"...but that does not apply in Cleveland... poke

Last edited by mac; 10/22/22 10:29 AM.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I wasn't even talking about you, mac.

Why not start an Analytics thread? Can we please keep this thread about Woods and the defense? I am asking nicely. Not being snarky at all.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I'm not going to try and change your mind about the coaching staff. However, you might want to rethink that "easiest schedule" thing. The Jets and ATL are playing damn good ball. Carolina sucks. Pittsburgh isn't very good, but they just beat TB and they also beat the Bengals. Just sayin'.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This is what I was talking about earlier about their running game and our run defense. This could be a really rough week.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Rough week yes and may I add EMBARRASSING!!! Friend of mine is a Pats fan but he shows mercy for me. He came over this past week and just shook his head. I said what happened Sunday happens every week with few exceptions. That was an informative post about the Ravens run game and our run D. You back up your points and I agree, rough game tomorrow.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Why not start an Analytics thread? Can we please keep this thread about Woods and the defense? I am asking nicely. Not being snarky at all.

VERS...if you follow closely you will see that the "analytics philosophy" that the Browns have operating under since 2016 can be traced to the present day issues that plague Woods defense. Analytics influences who the Browns hire as DC and from there the analytics philosophy trickles down to position coaches, the player drafted and free agents hired to execute Woods 'analytics based' defensive strategy.

There is a "trickle down" effect that starts with the man running the show, the man in charge of the Browns overall strategy, that includes the present issues facing Joe Woods and the performance of the BROWNS DEFENSE.

Browns fans have to trace the problems by first finding the "source", then following the layers of management, coordinators and everyone involved in picking the defensive talent and setting the defensive strategy.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

VERS...your strategy looks very familiar...know what I mean..?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Originally Posted by mac
Maybe, but who is that guy on the Bills? 49ers? Cowboys? Tampa Bay? Those are top 4 ranked defensive teams this year.

peen, the game has changed a lot. So have the players and how they respond to coaches. It's not like it was back in our day. These guys can't be yelled at. Hell, the Cardinals tried to put in his contract about how much time Murray studies each week.

Not arguing w/you. Just a friendly debate.

Edit: I think those teams I listed have really good players on D. Look at SF w/Bosa and Warner. Cowboys have Parsons. Bucs have guys like White and David. Bills have Von Miller and T. White. Not sure if any of those guys rule the locker room like a Ray Lewis, Mike Singletary, Dick Butkus, etc.

Interesting conversation... poke

It sounds like the analytics folks don't like the kind of football that the Browns are playing now that the entire Browns program is influenced primarily upon "analytical values"..! This is year 3 of the entire Browns franchise operating according to an owner, upper management and front office, including the draft team, the coaching staff (top to bottom) the Head Coach and Coordinators...ALL operating under a football system based on ANALYTICS.

It sounds as if some would like to see a Browns team, especially on the defensive side to show a bit of aggression and toughness from the Browns ... kind of like the Steelers show...like some players on the Browns roster who show leadership skills along with someone willing to fill the role of an "enforcer" .

Players who exhibit values such as aggressiveness, toughness or are overly emotional by the standards written into the " the Browns Harvard Guidlines" don't last long in Cleveland. Players performing outside the Guidelines as outlined by Haslam's Chief strategy officer will find out who the REAL ENFORCER is of the Browns franchise. Those players who don't meet Depodesta's standards of conduct will find themselves out of Cleveland in a heartbeat.

Analytics, especially on the Browns defensive side, is all about "making nice"...IMO

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

You have a tin foil fetish?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The problem with analytics is not in the numbers themselves but in the interpretation of those numbers. This can be quite complex but a simple example would be if the NFL 2-point conversion rate was 60% then it would make sense for teams to go for the 2-point conversion after every touchdown. However, if you distill it down further and your team only converts 30% then it would make sense for your team to kick the extra points. But how far do you go with the numbers? What is your teams 2-point conversion rate in a dome on the road? What about at home on wet field? What about at home on a wet field heading toward the dawgpound vs towards the open end?

There are so many variables, which are important? Which are not? How do you weight the value of each variable?
Then there is the role of momentum and differences in performance under pressure situations? Up 10 going into the half vs down 1 late in the 4th.

And what about sample size? How many times do you have to try something in a certain situation to get a large enough sample size that your numbers are significant?

I like analytics and think there is certainly value to using it. But you cannot make all your decisions based purely on analytics. JMO

Last edited by Jester; 10/22/22 03:35 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
1 member likes this: bbrowns32
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
There is no reason for weaver to not step up when Garrett is out after all everyone knows that Berry has done a excellent job at drafting depth at every position.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jacksondawg
There is no reason for weaver to not step up when Garrett is out after all everyone knows that Berry has done a excellent job at drafting depth at every position.

Weaver? Curtis Weaver is no longer on the team, and he wasn't drafted if that's who you're referring to.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
When did Depo take over as CHEIF STRATEGY OFFICER...??

January 5, 2016

Now if you would be so kind as to answer these simple questions.

When did Depo become the General Manager?
When did he become the Head Coach?
When did he ever make a draft pick?
When did his opinion mean more than any of our scouts?

Since Haslam handed the keys to the franchise over to Depodesta in 2016, he has been running the franchise...claiming everyone has to be on board or his ANALYTICS
DRIVEN STRATEGY OR IT WILL NOT WORK.

Oh please tell me the Fairy Tale about the Three Little pigs, or Cinderella... I'm getting tired of you repeating the same lame one about Depo and the Browns.

Depo's built his analytics department, front office, the HC and coordinators who had to buy into his analytics philosophy as a condition of their being hired. If anyone in the franchise is not on board the DEPO TRAIN..THEY ARE OUT. Woods greatest protection to insure he remains employed is to convince Depodesta that he is all in on analytics.

More Fairy tales. rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

NOW GM, tell everyone what Depo's record is since Jan. 5, 2016...what is the bottom line in terms of WINS AND LOSSES..?

It's 0-0 since he does not play, draft players, Coach, or make any roster decisions anywhere but in your own mind.

Put up or run away from REALITY..!!

There I put up, now can you please return to reality and stop making crap up in your own mind. Your embarrassing yourself.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
You have a tin foil fetish?

I can't you and Mac look like you horded it all.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

Brandon Beane has been beefing up the Buffalo Bills analytics department since he was hired in 2017. How's it working for them?

Analytics is two things: 1. A tool that you are either good at using or you aren't. 2. An easy scapegoat to blame your problems on when things aren't clicking because none of us really know how the Browns use it.

Last edited by DCDAWGFAN; 10/23/22 08:01 PM.

yebat' Putin
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted by DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted by mac

Brandon Beane has been beefing up the Buffalo Bills analytics department since he was hired in 2017. How's it working for them?

Analytics is two things: 1. A tool that you are either good at using or you aren't. 2. An easy scapegoat to blame your problems on when things aren't clicking because none of us really know how the Browns use it.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We don't seem to be good at anything we do.

1 member likes this: DawgPound75
L
Legend
Legend
L
We beat Cinci next week we’re still in the hunt

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I thought the defense played better yesterday. They pressured Lamar. They didn't allow him to go off. The Ravens passing game was pretty much shut down. Our terrible DTs were exposed too many times against the run and that really hurt. However, Woods called a good game. We often forced them into 3rd and long situation and we ran creative defenses w/7-8 guys back that looked like an umbrella formation that was effective. We desperately need two solid DTs. I thought Woods did a good job yesterday.

Legend
Legend
It was the best our defense played since week 3 for sure. You can’t do much better against Lamar than we did. Sadly, still took the L.

I thought special teams were the difference yesterday (if we are taking away the officials). Their punter flipped the field twice in key spots. We had some poor return choices, penalties, and of course they have Tucker … and our kicking game sucked

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought the defense played better yesterday. They pressured Lamar. They didn't allow him to go off. The Ravens passing game was pretty much shut down. Our terrible DTs were exposed too many times against the run and that really hurt. However, Woods called a good game. We often forced them into 3rd and long situation and we ran creative defenses w/7-8 guys back that looked like an umbrella formation that was effective. We desperately need two solid DTs. I thought Woods did a good job yesterday.

I thought the D played well

Wright has a motor on him, saw him fall, get up and keep pursuing and was in on the tackle

I thought Thomas did a nice job also

two rookies having a good day

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Good points about Thomas and Wright. I thought both made multiple good plays. I want to start a Game Recap thread in the Game Day forum that is just about football and none of the agenda stuff. The Post Game thread is so, so bad. It would be nice if some of you guys who like to talk "football" would post on the Recap thread, if I do start it. There is a lot to talk about in yesterday's game. Your keen eye certainly identified Thomas and Wright. I was thinking the same thing about both guys.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Watch this play. This isn't about scheme. It's about four guys not doing their job. Bryan and Thomas are easily sealed to the inside. Far too easy. JOK clearly fills the wrong gap. Looks to me that he doesn't want to fight through the block and that he tried to dart inside. Huge mistake on his part. JJ--the mouth--doesn't even try to make the tackle. I think I would trade him before the deadline. Not sure if there will be any takers, though.

Legend
Legend
WTH? Was that a business decision for Johnson III?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Sure looked like it. And he is the one running his mouth about other guys.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

So is Bitonio and Cooper...convenient that you keep leaving that out.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

I pointed out the same thing last week ago and a month before that. JJ3 has been playing "not to get hurt" the entire season. But he sure had the ear of his coaching staff, always managing to say the right things but rarely played as well as he talked. Stefanski and Joe Woods just loved the game J3 talked...imo, the guy is a bit of a 'con man'.

Last edited by mac; 10/24/22 12:24 PM.

Legend
Legend
JJ3 is such a disappointment

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Another opinion:

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: mac
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

So is Bitonio and Cooper...convenient that you keep leaving that out.

And Garrett and Delpit and Ward... and JOK last week.

But at this point, who's counting? I guess some will just look for a scapegoat to avoid the elephant in the room...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
He's been bad. He was really late in providing deep help on the deep pass Emerson gave up down the sideline, as well. Delpit is worse in pass coverage, but I think he really tries. He sells out in the run game, but is just lost as a pass defender. He is so slow to recognize things develop. I can live w/a guy like Delpit because he is at least trying hard. However, JJ runs his mouth and doesn't back it up w/his play on the field. This is part of a larger article about guys who might be traded.

S John Johnson III

Johnson III is the only player on this list that has remaining years left on his contract beyond 2022. While Johnson III has one year left on his contract with the Browns after signing a big contract during free agency two summers ago, the train is too far off the tracks.

He appears checked out, unwilling to initiate contact and fill gaps, and has been worthy of the criticism he is hearing (and responding to) from the fanbase on social media.

The Browns would only eat $3.75 million in dead cap space to trade Johnson now, which is the same that they would eat if they released him with a post-June 1 designation this upcoming offseason. If they want him out of the locker room now, a deal could be made rather than waiting to release him in the offseason.

Getting another team to bite, however, might be the more difficult task.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Woods and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard