Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
E
Legend
Legend
E
grin

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

All the angst over JFF can be boiled out with this:

If Hoyer would have gotten about (4) more well-timed first downs JFF would have never even seen the field in a meaningful game. We would have won 1-2 more games and JFF would still be on the bench today.

Bottom line: No one has any idea whether JFF will be a viable NFL starter...it wasn't known a year ago today and it is not known today.

Time will tell and we need to get it figured out.

Or had our kicker made 3 more makeable FG's....

Honestly, If I'm the FO, assuming Johnny gets out on 4/20, I don' stress trying to figure out if he's going to be the guy within one week. I think we should approach the draft with the belief that we need a QB, almost as if Manziel wasn't on our roster. With that in mind, do we see anyone in the draft that we'd REALLY want?

This isn't a knock on Johnny. If we draft someone who does well, and JOhhny develops into something special, then we have valuable trade bait a few years from now.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
vultures circling. How pathetic ones life must be to take pleasure in another humans struggles, especially a young man trying to resolve the demons in his life. Johnny is young and stupid but has chosen to lock himself away for 2 months to get his life in order. This is a wonderful thing for him and the Browns.

I am betting on the kid to succeed. I think the new system will be good for him. I think the team is ready for him. Its up to Johnny now to be the player he was drafted to be.

I miss our game day chats! Can't stomach the boards for the most part due to all the hate.

Glad to see we're still on the same side of things. Hopefully he turns it around this season or we're in for another long one.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Vers talent wise i think we both had Johnny ranked mid first last year in a very strong draft. I had Bridgewater top 10 until his proday and rumors of him having trouble griping the ball due to a hand injury. I had Carr as my #1. I also had a first round grade on Garoppollo, the kid in Tenn i had a first on him until his medical failed. I had a late first early 2nd on Bortles, special draft class.

Now we both had the mid first grade on Johnny if he passed the off the field issues. I think he bought into his own celebrity and it bit him

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Report: Browns barely even discuss Manziel in planning offense

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 3, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT

As the Browns sat down early this offseason to figure out where to go with their offense following the departure of coordinator Kyle Shanahan, one name was an afterthought: Johnny Manziel.

That’s the word from Chris Mortensen of ESPN, who says that when the Browns started putting together their new offense under new coordinator John DeFilippo, Manziel didn’t seem to be part of the equation.

“I think about 90 percent that they have moved on [from Manziel] in their own minds except that they really don’t know who they’re going to get when Johnny leaves rehab, which has been an extended stay — a two-month stay,” Mortensen said, via the News-Herald. “He should be getting out some time in the first week of April if they’re satisfied that he’s ready to go out and get into society and that whatever deep-rooted problems that he had has been addressed. The bottom line is that Johnny Manziel’s future with the Browns has been in question. When they were putting together half of a new offensive staff, Manziel’s name barely even came up in conversation.”

Ordinarily, if a team is hiring a new offensive coordinator a year after spending a first-round draft pick on a quarterback, there’s nothing more important for the team to know than the coordinator’s plans for that quarterback. If DeFilippo has no plans at all for Manziel, that’s a very bad sign for his future with the franchise.

But from all indications, the Browns currently consider Josh McCown their starting quarterback. And the Browns may even try to add another quarterback, like Sam Bradford or Marcus Mariota. Manziel looks like little more than an afterthought.

link

Last edited by mac; 04/03/15 07:03 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
That article seems like a reporter taking what Mort said and running w/it. No facts involved.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
When stuff like this becomes a story on a Friday at closing time...it is usually meant to send a message.

Maybe the message from the Browns is to let the rest of the NFL know that Manziel is available...

...or maybe the message is to let Manziel know that he will be under no pressure when he is ready to get back to football with the Browns.

Take your pick, why this is a story now.

Last edited by mac; 04/03/15 07:11 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
That article seems like a reporter taking what Mort said and running w/it. No facts involved.

I was thinking the same thing, Vers. As much as I hated the Manziel pick last year, I can at least see that this guy is piling on and not doing any real journalist research...

#gmstrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
mac, Lord knows I have been critical of the Browns. I get constant grief from the Homer crowd who do not want to acknowledge any of the stupid moves this regime has made.

So........when I say that the most recent article you posted is pure crap, I think it is safe to assume that it is pure crap.

P
Legend
Legend
P
superconfused

Last edited by PastorMarc; 04/03/15 07:28 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the new system will be good for him. I think the team is ready for him. Its up to Johnny now to be the player he was drafted to be.

If you changed the name from Johnny to Brandon, it would sound exactly like what we heard a couple of years ago.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mac
When stuff like this becomes a story on a Friday at closing time...it is usually meant to send a message.

Take your pick, why this is a story now.

This stuff that became a story on Friday at closing time was said on National TV on the Mike & Mike Show on Wednesday morning. I read it here on the board yesterday.

But maybe you're right, maybe it didn't become a story until today so it better fits one of your theories.

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I think the new system will be good for him. I think the team is ready for him. Its up to Johnny now to be the player he was drafted to be.

If you changed the name from Johnny to Brandon, it would sound exactly like what we heard a couple of years ago.

Well, to be fair, Norv runs a vertical offense, which is more suited to Weeden (who's looked really good so far this preseason).

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: ddubia

That reminded me of Captain Penny ...

Oh gosh, Captain Penny. Talk about a blast from the past.

Next someone will be quoting Mr. Jing-a-ling ... laugh

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I keep reading posts in this forum and others where posters have declared JFF a bust, holding no hope or belief that he has ANYTHING to offer. ... And there is only one way to do that, give him a chance.

If he's our starter this year, I hope he takes us to an undefeated season and a Super Bowl ring. I hoped the same for Hoyer start of last year, Weeden the year before, etc. ...

However, unless Manziel comes out of rehab with a totally different mindset, especially saving his partying for the offseason, he will crash and burn no matter what his skills.

Anyway, unless the Browns make a brilliant move in the draft and pick a kid who becomes a franchise QB headed for the Super Bowl and Hall of Fame, and shows it right away in camp and preseason, we will find out what Manziel can do as a starter, just because there are at the moment no other options.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 1JohnnyG
Anyway, unless the Browns make a brilliant move in the draft and pick a kid who becomes a franchise QB headed for the Super Bowl and Hall of Fame, and shows it right away in camp and preseason, we will find out what Manziel can do as a starter, just because there are at the moment no other options.
Agreed. I am not trying to say that JFF will suddenly become the answer. What I suspect is that he is going to be FOCUSED on football like he never has been before. Whatever talent he has, we are going to see it. Maybe it's enough to be a good QB, maybe it's not. I think he is gonna be better than McGowen and better than Hoyer, but that really isn't saying much.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: 1day
Joe Namath was a bum too cause he partied off the field. ...

Well, Babe Ruth partied off the field too. A few guys can get away with it. Most can't. Manziel can't.

Anyway, Namath really only had two great years ('68 and '69, 11-3 and 10-4 respectively) being a 50.1% career passer with a 65.5 rating.

Having said that, considering our QB situation since Kosar, I'd take one just like Namath in a heartbeat even if he *only* brought us one Super Bowl, too.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Keep in mind that statement was made out of total Ignorance.

I think...Mortenson got what he views as inside Information by our EX-FIRED QB Coach who is a friend of his sons. But that wouldn't be biased or anything against us. lol laugh

What I do know. When Flip was hired one of the first things he did was spend a day with Manziel. Oddly soon after Manziel went into Rehab.

In their plans? Actually many on this board have viewed actions made by the team as setting the table for the plans to be ALL MANZIEL and nothing else! Probably somewhere in the middle.

If the kid is mentally stable and able - we will give him all the support to become THE GUY. I am pretty sure of that.

I cannot predict any draft day movements. But that would be more so cause they are sure of what they are getting for a QB/QB Prospect than what they have in Manziel. They do know the variables involved way more than myself or anyone here.

I love the prospects of our NEW QB Coach. I think the new O is well organized and a team. Play calling is over rated...its about execution. If they can teach and execute things will be good. OL stays in tact we might upgrade early in the draft...we might not. I do remember it said that we will be keeping most of our Run Schemes from last year.

The most important transition from a new O is the language...I am curious if we kept a lot of the language from last year....to have the transition more seamless. Once you know the language the rest is easy.

What I also know is KNOWING THE PLAYS is one thing. EXECUTING the plays there is a skill to this. Its tough cause I see this on all levels - too much attention given to a new OC in the vast array of Formations - Motions etc. rather than the Get the Play down to PERFECTION. My philosophy is give me 5 plays we can run to perfection....I'LL BEAT YOU! Don't disect that now and say 5! like that is the important part of my claim. OK 6 is better...lol laugh Not my point. Fact is it should grow...20 - 40, if this is everyones full time job eat and sleep I don't see why it can't get to 100!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

So true. I remember the jazz of "putting Weeden in the shotgun, which is what he's comfy with in college, will help". Nope... Lol. Norv had no run game established or even tried to make it a factor and putting the workload on someone like Weeden had nightmare written all over it!

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: WVDawg54

I was thinking the same thing, Vers. As much as I hated the Manziel pick last year, I can at least see that this guy is piling on and not doing any real journalist research...

You guys are just now recognizing the piling on?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Sometimes I read these reports and wonder if reporter's "sources" aren't each other, like some kind of BS "synergy" based on nothing other than their combined theories. When someone says something has a 90% certainty, I take that as a statistical certainty - which in the context of this story means, in effect, the Browns are done with Manziel. Nothing Haslam, Farmer, or Pettine has said would seem to support this. Certainly, nothing they have done this off season would support it either. The opposite would seem to be the case - they fully intend to find out this year what exactly they have in Manziel.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL........maybe we just aren't excusing away all of the Brown's bad moves by blaming the media for everything.

It is actually really funny reading some of these threads. There will be an article that says something negative about the Browns and a bunch of guys rush on here to discredit the media. Later, another article will appear that paints the Browns in a positive light and those very same posters who ragging on the media will hold onto the positive information like it is The Word of God.

Yeah, on the very same thread. rofl

R
Legend
Legend
R
LOL........maybe we just aren't excusing away all of the Brown's bad moves by blaming the media for everything.

I don't see anyone excusing away the Browns bad moves.

And that has nothing to do with whether or not the media is piling on.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: 1day
And you just said dont put words in my mouth, however you said "i hope I am wrong" yet you specifically said "NO questions about it, Manziel was a bad choice". Those were your words. So you say one thing is a fact then say you hope you are wrong, well if its fact you cant be wrong. lol

Your entitled to your OPINION, but to state something as FACT when it clearly is not is WRONG.

If manziel comes out this year and stinks it up again, then yes, it is fact. However, you are not a fortune teller and can predict if he will be a good qb or not.

Hey, dude if you wanna fight over nothing, go find Vers and argue with him..
I am not fighting over nothing, you started by saying I was putting words into your mouth, then i rebutted SHOWING what you said and proving you were wrong. Now you cant handle the simple notion that you were incorrect, after I showed you that you were and result to this.

Legend
Legend
Reports: Johnny Manziel plays golf Saturday; treatment stint expected to end soon

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...partner=ya5nbcs

Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 4, 2015, 10:36 PM EDT

On the first Saturday in April, Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel reportedly did what so many sons like to do when the weather warms up.

He played golf with his father.

According to the Shreveport (La.) Times, Manziel and his father played East Ridge Country Club in Shreveport on Saturday.

Manziel has been undergoing rehabilitation for personal issues since late January. According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Manziel’s treatment stint is “likely” to end in the near future.

In the meantime, Manziel is permitted to have some free time away, on occasion, from his treatment.

Golf with his dad on a spring day seems like a nice way to spend that free time.

(end)

E
Legend
Legend
E
thumbsup
They also failed to mention it was Easter Weekend...not just some "TIME OFF" from the facility. He went home for Easter Weekend and instead of partying with his usual boyz...he played golf with DAD...man wish it was warm enough here!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
In the meantime, Manziel is permitted to have some free time away, on occasion, from his treatment.

This is the ONLY story since his enrollment into rehab I've heard of him leaving the rehab facility.

And to play golf with your Old Man on Easter weekend, I'd say wise choice to use that free time for such. Much rather hear these stories than seeing the usual JF stories.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
thumbsup
They also failed to mention it was Easter Weekend...not just some "TIME OFF" from the facility. He went home for Easter Weekend and instead of partying with his usual boyz...he played golf with DAD...man wish it was warm enough here!

as long as it not a shot for
first on
first in
closest to the pin

BTW it was great playing yesterday...

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
There was an article around Manziel's dad stating how much he disliked playing golf with him. Hopefully he learned something in rehab and the golf outing was a positive experience for both of them.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
•Peter King of MMQB reports that Browns quarterbacks Josh McCown and Thad Lewis have been the top-two quarterbacks discussed in the team’s in-house meetings while Johnny Manziel and Connor Shaw have been treated as their No. 3 and No. 4 options.

•King adds that Manziel has given the Browns no reason to think he’s the long-term answer at quarterback.

•According to King, Manziel has done too much damage to his reputation with owner Jimmy Haslam, GM Ray Farmer and coach Mike Pettine to be taken seriously in Cleveland.

http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-notes-draft-browns-panthers-patriots-titans/

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Quote:
•Peter King of MMQB reports that Browns quarterbacks Josh McCown and Thad Lewis have been the top-two quarterbacks discussed in the team’s in-house meetings while Johnny Manziel and Connor Shaw have been treated as their No. 3 and No. 4 options.

•King adds that Manziel has given the Browns no reason to think he’s the long-term answer at quarterback.

•According to King, Manziel has done too much damage to his reputation with owner Jimmy Haslam, GM Ray Farmer and coach Mike Pettine to be taken seriously in Cleveland.

This begs the question, how did King get this info? I can almost guarantee that it didn't come from Pettine, Farmer or Haslam.

I won't doubt it's accurate, but I'd just like to know who told King...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
With his physical limitations, I don't know see how anyone can think Shaw is a anything more than a third QB.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
With his physical limitations, I don't know see how anyone can think Shaw is a anything more than a third QB.

Agreed.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

True, but you gotta love the kids heart. I mean he played with little to no notice and gave it everything he had. He's the kind of guy that I enjoy watching and rooting for,

Sure wish he had better skills.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Heart and no talent doesn't get many very far.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
shaw is the perfect practice squad QB.

As for Kings article sounds like he is just quoting Mort's espn article.

P
Legend
Legend
P

I remember hearing the same thing about Brian Sipe ... tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Quote:

Someone is going to get axed between Lewis, Manziel and Shaw. I don't see us having more than three qb's on the roster, and, if I understand that since they all have a year+ and a start under their belt, none of our qbs are eligible to ride out the season in the practice squad.

Can someone educated confirm that, please?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
shaw can be placed back on the PS.

D
Legend
Legend
D
shaw can be placed back on the PS.

Is he eligible because he only had one nfl start? Is JF PS eligible? Thanks in advance.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Johnny Manziel..continued...

Link Copied to Clipboard